• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

No hog, but Baby Shower Baby Backs

Started by Consiglieri, April 27, 2007, 11:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consiglieri

Gee, hon, would love to join you at the baby shower, but wouldn't you like me to smoke up some ribs for your friends?  Yeah, that's my Saturday... and the W.C. Kansan is smokin a pig in his Bradley tomorrow.  Had to smoke something, so decided to have some fun experimenting with the ribs.  Went to Costco and bought  3 packages of baby backs.  Thought I'd have six racks (doh!).  Actually, there's 3 racks per package, so now I get to see if I can fit them all in the 6 rack DBS.  Poor, poor substitute for a whole pig, but this way I can pretend I'm doing it for the ladies.

Membranes removed on all racks, and my sink looked like Owrstrich's jobsite.  4 Racks smeared with a simple beer/mustard slather recipe and then coated with a double secret rub (unless you have the Kirk book and can find page 130 and the Eddy's Catering recipe). The remaining five racks I rubbed with garlic and then sprinkled/rubbed kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and Italian seasoning.  Here's the before shot:

Oops.  The marinade is for the chef.

I'll take a before shot of the slathers tomorrow morning.  Will be smoking with apple, maple and pecan.  Probably a 6 hour smoke, give or take, at 210. 
Consiglieri

Arcs_n_Sparks

Looks excellent....

Are you drinking Jack out of a wine glass?   :o

Sparkler

Consiglieri

Actually, that was a bit of brandy that my wife was kind enough to pour for me.  Heck, I wouldn't have used a wine glass-- I would've poured the booze into an old STP can. 

Here' the update on the project.  Woke up around 7:30 and pulled the meat out of the fridge.  Turned on the Bradley, set to 230.  About an hour later, time to load up the box; the meat was still pretty cold, though. Once in the box the temp dropped like an anvil according to the Maverick; The magic machine knows different, however and displays a temp of 150 (maybe the Mav probe is too close to the meat).  I think the cook time is going to be a lot longer than typical.  If not, FTC while I watch the rest of a ball game (I mean clean up the yard). 

Arcs: I've taken your advice to heart-- I make sure to go out to the box with a frown, fidget with the generator (but alter nothing), and then say something like "That ought to do."

Here's the slathers after a night in the cooler:

Here's all 6 BS racks loaded with 9 racks of ribs about to meet the smoke:

Here's the BS fully loaded-- the first time I've actually used all 6 shelves-- (I think I could fit another 9 racks of ribs on inverted BS racks, but wonder how the cooking time will be affected)

Still a poor substitute for a whole pig, but I'm having fun.
Consiglieri

West Coast Kansan

Wish I had a 6R for the whole pig.  That looks great!  Saving the pic to my desktop right beside a load Gizmo had in his 6R a while back...  ;D  ;D  ;D  Betting that photo goes to the Track Forum  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Consiglieri

I had Micki in mind when I did that Mad Lib thing.

Looking forward to meeting Porky after his sauna.
Consiglieri

Wildcat

OK - now ya got me craving ribs again.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

hillbillysmoker

Looking so good.  I can hardly wait for the final pics.  Have fun.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Kansan

Piggy is out of the smoker and on the grill to finish and toast a bit.  Looks good, the IT is remarkably even side to side and top to bottom. Very surprised.  :) Will post pictures tonight. Piggy has a couple of hours to go.  ;) Will make 13 total.  :o

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

coyote

SKSmoker

I bow down to those that have all the rack space in the 6 rack dbs full! I will be right over for any leftovers :P
Nice smoke Consiglieri!

BTW. Is that a brick inside your smoker under the puck feeder??
Lead by example

LilSmoker

Consiglieri:  Absolutely awesome! fantastic feast, and great pics! wish i was on the guest list
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Consiglieri

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.  The smoke actually took quite a bit of time with all that meat in the box and had to switch positions a few times.  About 10 hours, I think.  Lots of happy faces at meal time.  Definately had left overs.  Lots of leftovers (heh, heh). 

SKSmoker: yep, it's a brick.  I read here that the brick will help bring the temp back up in the box after the door is open (hot brick probably raises the temp back up quicker than the element). 

Here's the meat:

Cheers
Consiglieri

West Coast Kansan

What a spread  ;) Has anyone explained it is customary to post an address with photos like those  ::)  :D

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

SKSmoker

Wow.. !!

Now I have to convince my wife, that yes, we do need 6 racks of ribs for supper this Friday!

Thanks for the tip on the brick. I happen to have a few and will throw one in!
Lead by example