A Sad Night....

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2007, 07:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

QuoteLook on the bright side Raye you and Susan can do the things you've always wanted to do (together now)
I wish we could but we own a business.....

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

West Coast Kansan

I keep reading this thread.  My little girl is just finishing her first year of teaching at kindergarten level.  Was a tough year with a number of special needs kids woven into the class. I am going the email this to her.  She is going to be a great teacher.  Seems like a cycle of legacy continuing. 

Certainly Susan has contributed greatly during her career.  It just strikes me as one of the most impactful occupations possible. I would hope for my daughter that in 2043 she will have a night just like susan.  Hope the party goes well.

Chuck

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Oldman

Chuck
QuoteHope the party goes well.
Heh he he... The last one I did was all you eat and drink... One of my employees had 2 large T-bone dinners and then he also took a lobster dinner home. He also had 12 shooters. He is a big man  6' 4" and around 330 pounds. What was a little scary was I had to take his keys away from him and put him in a cab.  I'm a whole 5' 8" 160 pounds~~! Crap his neck is bigger than the top of my legs.

About your daughter do tell her that if there is one thing that never changes in teaching is the problems are the same no matter what school a teacher goes to. In Susan's school every year there would be 1st and 2nd year teachers that move on to another school. Only to learn that nothing changes. 

If you daughter is going to teach until she retires I suggest the following.
1. Grow a thick skin.
2. Pick a school and plant her feet.
3. There are worse and better years.
4. Admin moves on about every 3 -4 years.
5. Keep a running daily notebook of that day's events.... Trust me on this one.
6. Take pictures of all kids every year, and place a comment about that child on the back on the photo... date it. Later those images will be very important.

Little things will become important as she retires.  Like Susan brought home two 36 year old yard sticks. What is very interesting about them is they are made of hard wood and have a finish on them....

Our best to your daughter.
Raye & Susan

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Gizmo

Olds,
I bet 36 years ago she didn't have any discipline problems with that yard stick in the classroom. ;D
Probably didn't have to use it either, just knowing it was there and it could be used would have been enough.

I have one of them as well that I received from my parents many years ago.  Probably seen it back in my younger years as well but from a rear perspective. ;)  Stanley Rule & Level Co. New Britain, Conn.  No. 80.  Complete with brass ends.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Malc

Quote from: Gizmo on May 22, 2007, 09:48:06 PM
Olds,
I bet 36 years ago she didn't have any discipline problems with that yard stick in the classroom. ;D
Probably didn't have to use it either, just knowing it was there and it could be used would have been enough.

I have one of them as well that I received from my parents many years ago.  Probably seen it back in my younger years as well but from a rear perspective. ;)  Stanley Rule & Level Co. New Britain, Conn.  No. 80.  Complete with brass ends.
LOL...I went to elementary school in the last days of paddling.  I remember one teacher used to hang his paddle(which was shaped to look like a shark) on the back of his door.  When he would close the door at the beginning of class it would bang on the back of the door a couple times.  That was enough for me to never want to see the business end of that thing.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Kummok

One of my best memories is of visiting my "witch/shark/dragon lady" teacher/principal a few years after I entered "life after school" in the early 70s. She had retired, (and she must have been 102 when she was still teaching me! :o ), and was living in a dinky little rental in Ashland, Oregon. She was a strict disciplinarian and broke a few paddles on my padded backside (and I deserved every one!), she taught ALL 5 of my ranch-reared brothers, and was as tough as rawhide. But I saw something in that visit that I never thought she possessed .....tears! They were, of course, tears of joy that she had meant enough in someone's life that they would return as an adult (well, with me THAT "adult" part is STILL debatable! ::) ), and thank her for her stong and positive influence on my life. I'm certain that Susan will see these kind of visits, Raye! (Probably already has, even before retiring!).

My congrats and BEST to both of you.....hopefully she'll use one of those yardsticks to pummel you into retirement and enjoying more of what life has to offer....together! ;) ;D

tsquared

I'm "in the business" myself, just finishing my 23rd year of teaching. Today we took 75 7 to 11 year old kids to our local salmon stream to release 180 salmon fry that we raised at our school. Watching these little gaffers whispering "good luck" and "look out for orcas" as they gently emptied their little baggie of water and fry into the river was great. I do this every year to try and connect these urban kids to their environment--to show them through caring and rearing for these fish that what we do has an effect on the world around us. Course, I take a big ribbing from the parents over conflict of interest. They tease me that I  get the kids to raise salmon and then I go out and catch the returnees! :D I tell them I have to put something in my Bradley! If you love kids it's a great job, despite all the challenges.
T2

Kummok

Now THAT'S a school program that should receive 'PRIORITY' funding.....(and Alaska should help out!!) Keep raising 'em and sending 'em North, Tom  ;) ;D

West Coast Kansan

Thanks Olds and Susan, I have past on the advice.  Her response was "Thank you"  ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

tsquared

QuoteKeep raising 'em and sending 'em North, Tom   
I should have told those kids to whisper "Watch out for Kummok, he's a bad bad man!"
:D
T2

car54

Olds,
I have been waiting for the right time to post this. I have been too busy. Things have temporarily slowed down at work. I'm going from a 65 hour a week to a 40 hour one.

Up until 3 weeks ago I had no idea how many excellent school teachers there are.

My grandson, Taylor has a male teacher, Mr M., that has been looking out for him. He just graduated from the 5th grade. My grand son has a mischievous side to him. Taylor lives by a golf course and he did some slight vandalizing to a golf cart. Mr M. found out and called the police. I have no problem with that. Mr M. also went to all of Taylor's football games

When my grandson was told that his father had died, Mr M. , another teacher and a councilor were there for him. This was on Friday.

On Saturday afternoon He came over to Taylor's house to spend the afternoon with him.

On Sunday I had a cook out for Taylor's fathers wife and her side of the family and some of Taylors school friends.. Mr M. was invited. He had a beer but he put it in a coffee mug because he did not want to drink in front of his students. Taylor noticed some foam from his "coffee" mug and said " That not coffee, your drinking a beer". Mr M. was caught.

The visitation was on Memorial day and many of the teachers showed up. Mr M. and some other teachers stayed the whole time.

The funeral was on Tuesday, Mr M. and Taylor,s 4th grade teacher came and afterward there was a picnic.

2 weeks later Taylor graduated from 5th grade and my daughter had a cook out and Mr M. was there.

I asked Mr M. what his hobbies were and he said looking after his students, golfing and tennis. He also said that he'll be checking on Taylor through out the summer.

Olds, I am sure that your wife has had a positive influence on many of her students and I am sure that you are very proud of her. It must be difficult for her to retire.

God bless you and Susan, Brad