A Sad Night....

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2007, 07:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Tomorrow is Susan's last day to have kids. I can hear her quietly crying as I'm writing this out.  I know it will pass. However,  I understand why... 36 years of teaching children is a hard thing to give up.  I found her yesterday going through years of pictures and items that make up her memories. Like the rubber sharks that her kids gave her for a few years -- as she was known then as the shark, because nothing got by her.  Then it was the rubber witches as she was known as The Witch....  She has a quilt that year's back her kids made and all of them signed it... it was on her lap as she was looking at yeastier-year's photos...

She is my baby-girl and I'm so proud of her that it hurts with love of my appreciation for her feelings and caring she has given all of these years.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

You are both very lucky to have each other Raye and I am sure you will support her through this as you have obviously supported each other though life's trials and tribulations over the years.

There have clearly been some very lucky children to have had such a teacher. Wish her all the best for a life away from the "classroom".  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Though she may not have a formal job as teacher, she will never loose those skills and abilities. Now that she has control of her own schedule, I hope she will be able to still involve herself with children. There are so many projects, and organization developed to help children, I'm sure any of these would be glad to have her on their team.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

hillbillysmoker

Having retired after 33 years of teaching in rural WV, I can relate to the emotions.  I wish her great success as she enters the next phase of her life.  Her real rewards are yet to come though as she sees her efforts mature into outstanding citizens, and they return to simply say thank you.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Malc

I am a teacher with almost ten years of experience.  It is an amazing feat to stay with it that long.  There is so much in this profession that can turn a good teacher south.  It is only love and respect of kids and what they can be that will keep one going.  I have alot of respect for anyone that can stay with it that long, and still be motivated.  Obviously your wife is one of those.  Pass on a congratulations for a job well done from me.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

NePaSmoKer

Pass a congrats to your wife for teaching our youth. Someday they will look back and say yeah i really liked my teacher Susan, she tought me so much. 

nepas

Oldman

Thanks folks... personally I'm somewhat wet in my eyes and I don't know what to expect in the next couple of hours when she comes home... I can only hold her and speak of soft things of yester-year.... Then tomarrow speak, of the days yet to come.

She declided a send off party by the school .... but on the 2nd saturday of July there is going to be one hellva party in her name.... at this writting I know there will a couple of hundred of people there... some friends, some empolyees -- teachers she worked with, but most important there will be at least 8 students she taught that grew up and she taught 6 of their children... I bet there will be tears that night...

When something ends... IMO it does not get any better than this.

Again thanks for your words...
Raye
aka Olds.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Tiny Tim

I got nothing new, but wanted to say congratulations to the Mrs.

I like the delayed party idea.  It'll be more memorable than a last day of school party would be, and sometimes ya just want those closest to you on occasions like this.

LilSmoker

To Susan, spending 36 years as a teacher is something to be very proud of

Well Raye, although a very emotional time for Susan, it sounds like a very well earned rest is in order, and maybe you could start taking things a bit more easy yourself, and the two of you can enjoy some quality time together ;)

Also i know three's a crowd, but maybe the MG could tag along with you both
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

gpsmoker

Next to a child's parents, I think that teachers have the most influence on the proper development of our children, and their value cannot be underestimated. I marvel at their patience and persistence in the care and passion they exhibit in this honorable profession. Raye, your Susan has had a hand in guiding the proper progress of countless numbers of children, and there cannot be enough kudos, thanks, or praise given her for her dedication to them. My congratulations to her and best wishes for a deserved and well earned retirement.

Best Regards,
Greg
When it's brown its cooking....when its black its done!

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

Wildcat

Quote from: gpsmoker on May 18, 2007, 01:18:33 PM
Next to a child's parents, I think that teachers have the most influence on the proper development of our children, and their value cannot be underestimated.

Sadly sometimes the teachers actually have more of a positive influence than the parents.

My congrat to the Mrs. as well.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

icerat4

Good luck in the future old for you both.You and susan deserve the best and the rest. ;D ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Oldman

Again thanks all for your comments and wishes.

The school gave her a nice plaque.  As I posted earlier the second Saturday of July we are having a surprise party for her... NOW it looks like a couple of hundred folks... some past teachers, some past students whose children were also taught by Susan, and many folks that she has touched over the years... 

(On the down side you know my C-card will take a hit that night~~!   ;D  )

One of her past students who just graduated came and spent the day with her today... they played cards, and talked. It was a good day for her.

Tomarrow she is going with me to do a building inspection. Sunday she learns how to do the payroll....

goalieboy29

Hey Olds,

On the bright side, now she can get that new smoker she never knew she always wanted....plus accessories. Don't forget the accessories!

I smell a cook-off at the Minor house!

Congrats on a job well done. Enjoy your retiremnent Teach.
It's the wood that makes it good.

Cajun

Look on the bright side Raye you and Susan can do the things you've always wanted to do (together now) my wife retires after 33 yrs in August and we can't wait to go and travel if we can afford the fuel to go,,,, Best wishes on a new fronteer  ;)
There is a place for all of Gods animals right next to the mashed potatos and gravy