Another confused potential buyer

Started by Antonio Makroni, May 30, 2007, 09:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonio Makroni

I want to buy a smoker for my restaurant here in Northwest Indiana.  I've have done plenty of research and have narrowed it down to "Bradley or Masterbuilt" smokers,  I am leaning towards the Bradley.  But concerning the Bradley I am extremely confused.  Not sure and not knowing if the imperfection I'm reading about will make any significant difference in the quality and the tenderness of the finished cooked product.  That would be the temperature swing I keep reading about, when I think I've almost made up my mind it keeps popping up, it's all over the internet.  It would certianly benefit Bradley to alleviate this temperature problem, they would likely then sell tons more of these digital smokers.

My dilemma is this; "I'm a restaurant owner,  I presently cook with a stone oven, gas grill, gas griddle, deep fat fryer and broiler.  I've been cooking the barbeque on the grill and some in the stone oven.  But I know a smoker could really pump up the flavor.  My dilemma is that I need the extra space of the Digital six rack smoker, but I don't want to sacrifice space for quality, as I understand it there is no temperature swing problem with the original Bradley smoker which is, by the way, the smaller 4 rack.

I really need the six rack, but I reasoned if I did decide to go with the 4 rack for better food quality, should the demand for smoked products increase resulting from its use, I could always buy another one just like it.   Only my kitchen is getting really crowded, I just can't spare the space.

What I need to know is if there is indeed any difference in food quality between the two?
Also, are there any issues a restaurant owner should be concerned about in using these smokers period?

I'll come out and be real honest with you; "I want the most tender, the most juicy, the most flavorful briskett, barbeque, meats, poltry, etc., that I can get, not only that, the ability to do this has to be consistant, it is a must.  It can't come out good one time and not so good the next because of smoker inconsistancies, my competition is just waiting for me to mess up, not to mention I just try very hard to please my customers with dishes that excite their palets.

Any help or advice would be extremely appreciated.  Thank you.

cingnut

I have a six rack digital and I have not had a problem with the tempurature swing, it does swing, but it doesnt affect my end product.  What you could do if you are that concerned about it...  smoke it in the bradley, and then finish the cook in a regular oven.  Once the smoking is finished, the bradley is just an oven.

acords

I would agree with what cingnut says.  I would however advise you that the bradley units are designed for home use.  If I were in your position, I would look for more of a commercial unit.  With that being said, you could certainly give it a try and see how it works for you.  I love my OBS and have used it for 2 years+ with little or no problems.  If you are looking for reliable temp control, look at a guru competitor package or build a PID.  Let us know how it works for you.
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  I agree with both acords and cingnut.  If you are a small operation you might be alright but if you are large then perhaps you should expand onto the kitchen and get a commercial set up.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Antonio;
Welcome to the forum.

The Bradley's have been widely used in restaurants, before they reached much of today's home market. Contact Bradley to discuss your concerns about any issues that you should be aware of for restaurant use.

As for consistency, you will get that with the Bradley; especially the smoke flavor. For barbequing meats such as brisket, butts and other meats with a lot of connective tissue, the temperature swings are not going to be a problem. The swings may present problems when you are smoking/cooking fish, sausages, and lean meats. I believe those issues can be over come by more monitoring of the product during smoking/cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

Check out icemans setup.Very nice indeed its defintly restraunt type.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Antonio Makroni

Wow Habanero, you were completely right! ;D   I called Bradley right after reading your post and they confirmed they have many owners that used the Digital Six as a commercial smoker.  I vagely recall reading in one of the brochures it was applicable for commercial use, but I wasn't 100 percent sure.  They also assured me the with an overhead hood ventilation exhaust system (which I have), it's safe to use indoors.

I guess then, I wll have to monitor the leaner meats as you suggested.  Another reason I was hoping it was adequate is because it will free up my Blodgett Stone oven and I can use it more to cook pizza, which is one of the main things it was designed for.  Thanks-

Habanero Smoker

Sounds like you have a great restaurant with a great deal of variety.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Antonio Makroni

Antonio Makroni

Another concern of mine is cost effectiveness. There are several claims that the wood Bisquettes for the Bradley smoker is expensive. 

How does the Bisquettes compare to the wood supply, cost-wise, of other smokers? 

Is the rate of comsumption fast on these bisquettes, etc.,??

Will it help to soak them in water the night before to slow the burn rate and make each bisquette last longer, or is bisquette discharge working on a timer?

Wildcat

Do not get them wet!!!  About 20 minutes smoke time each puck.  Should never need more than 4 hours of smoke.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Chez Bubba

Hey Tony,

You're in my neck of the woods. Details please, I'd like to check out your place.

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Antonio Makroni

Quote from: Chez Bubba on May 30, 2007, 06:43:22 PM
Hey Tony,

You're in my neck of the woods. Details please, I'd like to check out your place.

Kirk

Doing some re-modeling right now so presently closed, almost finished should be open soon.  The name of my place is:

The Chicago Connection
Restaurant & Pizzeria

3210 W. Ridge Road
Gary IN. 46408

We're also in the Yellow pages under "Restaurants"

Thanks for your inquiry

Antonio Makroni

1.) Can't seem to find this information anywhere.  What are the internal rack sizes of the Bradley Digital six rack?

2.) I just come across a smoker by a company called "CookShack" it's the SM050 model I'm eyeing.  Does anyone have any experience with this smoker and how it compares to the Bradley?
http://comfortfirst.com/p-33808-cookshack-smoker-oven-grill-sm050.aspx

Habanero Smoker

I have the original. I haven't measured the cabinet, but can give you the dimensions of the shelves. Each shelf measures approximately 1/2"x11"x14" (15" if you include the handles). There is a 4" clearance between each shelf.

As for the cost of smoking, the worse scenario will cost you about $1.05/hour while you are applying smoke. That's if you purchase the 120 pack at full price. You will often find them for less then that. With the Bradley you do not apply the smoke for the full cooking time. The most I ever applied smoke to a brisket is four hours, so the total cost for the briquette for smoking 3 to 4 briskets would be $4.10. Those that say the Bradley is expensive to operate, usually don't have one. They are the people who read that the Bradley cost about $1.00/hr. to operate; but they thing you are applying smoke during the full 12-16 hour period that your are cooking the brisket.

I
         don't
                   inhale.