Requesting advice - Boneless Pork Loin

Started by Samalie, June 23, 2007, 06:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samalie

I'm smoking a boneless pork loin (actually, a pair of them) in a couple of hours.

They're just over 2lbs each, and are currently coming to room temperature in a simple rub of black pepper, garlic powder, salt & a very small amount of cayanne for kick.

I currently plan to smoke for 2 hours 20 minutes, obviously keeping the temp between 195 and 210, plus then whatever cooking time/ftc time is needed to get the internal temp to 160.  Planning mostly apple wood with a bit of cherry in the mix.  I also intend to throw some bacon on the rack above just to add some fat/moisture to the loin.

Since I kinda farked up my first smoke, I thought I would throw my plan out here & make sure I'm not an idiot & missing something obvious :)

Sammy

Tiny Tim

'Bout the only thing I'd do different is omit the cherry since I don't have any of that flavor.

Consiglieri

I think your plan is sound.  I did a bunch of loin on Mother's day and the crowd loved it.  I smoked for 2 hours twenty minutes alternating apple and cherry, plus one pecan because I had it hanging around.

Good luck!
Consiglieri

Samalie

Thanks for the quick replies guys....the lons are in the OBS now, cabinet temp holding solid at 193, internal temp of the roasts at 129, and going strong :)

West Coast Kansan

160 Is a good temp for us but many here will pull them at a lower temp of 150 or so. It is a bit of a preference ...as long as it is cooked...since you have a couple going you may want to check one at a lower temp for comparison ... but 160 is my number  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Samalie

Pulled her today at an internal of 161 even....FTC'd for about 3 hours.

End product was awesome....could have mabye used another 20 minutes of smoke, and I see now where I'm going to play with the rub/etc, but a much better smoke than my first.  If nothing else, we got a great meal & a solid baseline to now experiament off of.

Thanks for the advice, and once I get a chance I'll post my 1 pic from tonight :)

Sammy

Consiglieri

Glad it worked out.  Now, a sandwich wouldn't be too much to ask, would it?
Consiglieri