My Weekend Projects

Started by Mr Walleye, July 22, 2007, 04:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Beef Jerky

Here's my Jerky I made this weekend. I used 11 lbs of eye of round roast and sliced it with the grain about 3/16 to ¼ inch thick. Next I ran it through the Reveo in 2 batches for 20 minutes each. For seasoning I used the JB Sausage Jerky Seasoning and Cure. It is available here and is very similar to High Mountain. I did add another tablespoon of white pepper and 1 of black pepper. I smoked it in 2 batches as well. 4 pucks of hickory on each batch. Ran the box temp at 170 degrees. Total time per batch was about 5 hours per batch. Here's a few photos.

Pulled Beef

Everybody knows how good pork butts are done in the Bradley! MMMMmmm...Good!
I have never got around to trying pulled beef so I decided to do it this weekend and As PF20 so elequintely put in another thread, OH........MY.........GOD......!
I gotta say it was not a disappointment! It turned out fantastic! Here's how it went;

Sobey's had Chuck's on sale for $1.99 lb so I headed over there. Of course they didn't have any left but they gave me a rain check and indicated they would have them the next morning. So I go over the next morning and find out they didn't arrive! The manager says, "I'll tell you what, I'll give you a Sterling Silver Chuck for the same price". Ya gotta like that! Any way I gave a quick bath in cider vinegar then a good rub with the following rub. Red_herrings posted it a few years ago and I have tried a few times and like it.

Title: Dubby'S Rib Rub
Yield: 1 Serving

Ingredients

1/4 c  salt (you can use reduced
           -sodium sa
    1/8 c  celery seed powder
    1/8 c  garlic powder
    1/8 c  onion powder
      1 c  sugar
    1/2 c  paprika
      3 tb black pepper
      2 tb chili powder
      1 ts cumin
    1/2 ts cayenne

Instructions

Mix ingredients well and store in an air-tight container. This batch is
enough for 6 lbs. of ribs if rubbed lightly.

This is suppose to be a good substitute for Willingham's W'ham Seasoning -
Original Mild.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Contributor: Cut-N-Shoot BBQ Team (Texas)

I smoked it at 210 degrees and used 4 hours of hickory on it. Then when the IT hit 160 degrees I boated it in a foil pan with some apple juice and covered it with foil. Over all time was around 20 hours, plus FTC for 3 more (I couldn't wait any longer!) Here is a few pics.

Ribs

Oh ya, Last weekend I did 4 racks of ribs. I gave them a bath in cider vinegar as well and used the same rub as I did on the chuck. I smoked them for 2 hours & 20 minutes and cooked them at 210 degrees. After 4 hours I foiled them and gave them a spray of apple juice for 2 hours. Then I threw them on the grill just long enough to sauce them with a Habanero/Tequilla BBQ sauce. Wow, did they turn out good! The worst part is... the only photo I have is this one, which is when I first put them in the smoker. Sorry guys, I was all excited and forgot to take photos of the finished product. The meat was pulled back off the bones a good ½ inch. They were fantastic!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Consiglieri

Busy guy!  Looks like some very delicious projects.  But the thing that caught my eye is your "duct work."  Is it effective?
Consiglieri

Mr Walleye

You bet. I have my DBS in my heated garage. I installed a range hood over top of it. What I discovered was the range hood has a standard type fan blade and it draws most of the air from the center so I made an offset out of 4 inch PVC. Next I discovered it was drawing too much air through the tower. My solution was to notch the 4" pipe at the bottom to allow it to draw room air as well. I have found that I tend to have the vent slightly more closed now due to the assisted draw on it but I have no problem maintaining temps. For an example, if I was smoking something that I normally would have the vent 3/4 open I will now set it at about 1/2 way open.

Mike

Arcs_n_Sparks

Mr. Walleye,

Outstanding pics. I really love the reentry vehicle look on the beef.......

Arcs_Kwajalein_Sparks

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on July 22, 2007, 05:32:47 PM
I really love the reentry vehicle look on the beef.......

;D  ;D  ;D

Mike

Oldman

Mr Walleye AKA Fishman... you are a cookin' fool there~~~LOL~~!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Macman

isn't that BBQ sauce to die for... can you folks get Presidents Choice stuff in the US.....
;D ;D ;D ;D

Mr Walleye

Olds

Some people just call me a fool!  :D  :D  ;D

MacMan

It really is a good sauce. I don't think it would be available in the USA. Their name kinda says it all... "The Real Canadian SuperStore".  ;D  But I could be wrong.

Mike

kiyotei

That is an amazing setup you have.  I'm jealous.  I live in Seattle and it rained a lot this weekend.  I don't have a covered porch so I have to rig a tarp over my smoker.  I have a big porch umbrella on order so that should help.  I'll have to post a pic of my ugly setup for rainy days.

Mr Walleye

Hey Kiyotei... It's functional, that's all that matters!  ;)

Mike

West Coast Kansan

Very cool walleye, Looks like a new table for the BS as well.  PID looks great in action also.   ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Everything looks great. What was the final internal temperature of the beef? Also what did you use to cover your table top?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Macman

I just noticed the inside of the smoker... nice n black...  Well Used... ;-)

begolf25

Mike, everything looks great. The pulled beef is definately on my to do list.

Mr Walleye

Thank's guys

Habs

The IT was 195 degrees. I have heard of people doing them to 200 or 205. I thought I would try it similar to pork butt. Now that I have done one I would not be scared to take it a little higher, maybe even the 200 or 205 because there was still some conective tissues but not a lot.

The covering on the counter top I used is a material they use in restaurants for a backsplash. It's a vinyl/plastic type of material I got at a lumber yard for another project and had bit left over. Works great because it cleans real easy. I just can' remember the name of the material.

Mike