FIRST SMOKE

Started by mikemaupin, July 22, 2007, 05:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemaupin

Well I made a run today, not totally happy but ok for the first time. Heres what I did and the results.
I smoked the thin chops, a roast pork that looked like a what they cut chops from, 2 ears of corn out of my garden and sweet itallian brats.

The chops were thin and I used the mustard recipe in the recipe section, after about 3hours on  the bs  I tasted one, it was black and a little bitter, smoker temp averaged 200F. So I took the chops and put some Kraft Orig BBQ sauce on them and wraped them in foil, back in the bs for about 1 hour, that helped a lot.These chops were so thin I could not get a thermometer in them so I guess I over cooked them a bunch.

The rib roast marinated over night, it is the recipe with the red wine vinegar, smoked for about 3 hours at 195-200f, they were also a bit black, I poured Kraft sauce on them wrapped them in foil put'em back in the bs smoked to internal temp of 155, FTC for 2 hours and they were good except you needed to stay away from the skin. Didnt do any thing to the brats, just smoke and they were real good.

The corn was GREAT.

I still got two racks of ribs in the fridge, one regular and the other baby back. I am wondering if there is a basic dry rub thats sorta a time tested and proven (idiot proof) thats good to start with? A fellow gave me some dry rub once by Smokey Moutian outdoors, you just rubbed it on, smoked right then for 5 hours, then poured on your sauce, wrapped in foil and smoked another 2 hours and they were great but I dont know what was in the dry rub. If anyone has such a a recipe I would really appreciate it, the simpler the better. I know this is a broad question and I apologize, might ought to get a bigger dog. Thanks a bunch fellows for all your help its appreciated. Mike

Mr Walleye

When you foil it try using some apple juice on it before you close up the foil and put it back in the BS. The acid in it seems to tenderize it.

As for the ribs I use the following rub. I don't get carried away with it but I do put a good coat on. It's just a nice rub, nothing too hot.

Title: Dubby'S Rib Rub
Yield: 1 Serving

Ingredients

1/4 c  salt (you can use reduced
           -sodium sa
    1/8 c  celery seed powder
    1/8 c  garlic powder
    1/8 c  onion powder
      1 c  sugar
    1/2 c  paprika
      3 tb black pepper
      2 tb chili powder
      1 ts cumin
    1/2 ts cayenne

Instructions

Mix ingredients well and store in an air-tight container. This batch is
enough for 6 lbs. of ribs if rubbed lightly.

This is suppose to be a good substitute for Willingham's W'ham Seasoning -
Original Mild.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Contributor: Cut-N-Shoot BBQ Team (Texas)

Good luck
Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Hi Mike

Here is a link to a post I just made about my weekend projects. If you scroll down you will see where I did some ribs as well. I have the details of the basic method that I use listed there.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5660.0

I'm sure some others will chime in too.

Mike

mikemaupin

Oh ya, Last weekend I did 4 racks of ribs. I gave them a bath in cider vinegar as well and used the same rub as I did on the chuck. I smoked them for 2 hours & 20 minutes and cooked them at 210 degrees. After 4 hours I foiled them and gave them a spray of apple juice for 2 hours. Then I threw them on the grill just long enough to sauce them with a Habanero/Tequilla BBQ sauce. Wow, did th

Walleye  Dose this mean a total cook time of 6:20  at 210 deg then a spray of apple juice say every hour for two more hours then the sauce? I dont have a grill so could I put them back in the bs after sauce and for how long, Mike M

Mr Walleye

Mike

Total time was 6 hours in the smoker. Of the 6 hours, I put 2 hours and 20 minutes of smoke. Then I just let them continue in the BS till the 4 hour mark. At the 4 hour mark, I foiled the ribs and gave them a really good shot of apple juice, then back into the BS till the 6 hour mark. At the 6 hour mark, I pulled them out of the foil and put them on the grill and applied sauce to them, just long enough to thicken the sauce, maybe 5 minutes of so. The whole time in the BS I ran the temp at 210. Hope this helps.

They turn out great for my taste.

Good luck

Mike

mikemaupin

Gotcha now Mike, this will be my next project, would do it tomorrow but I have to mow and go get a coupla more spices, thanks Bud.

Mr Walleye

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike

Gizmo

Quote from: mikemaupin on July 22, 2007, 05:26:40 PM

after about 3hours on  the bs  I tasted one, it was black and a little bitter, smoker temp averaged 200F.

The rib roast marinated over night, it is the recipe with the red wine vinegar, smoked for about 3 hours at 195-200f, they were also a bit black,

Mike,
What were you using for monitoring the cabinet temperature?

IMHO:
I haven't done pork chops in the BS so really can't say much there but since chops are not tough, they would not really bennefit from the low and slow cook method.  I would apply the smoke then finish on a grill or monitor the Internal Temperature of the chop (difficult with them so thin).  It is easy to over cook thin chops.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/