Door Seal Problems?

Started by SueBn, October 20, 2004, 04:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SueBn

I have had my BS for almost 3 years and absolutely love it - with 2 exceptions. #1 - after the 3rd time I used it the door seal warped and got hard so that every time I use it now I have to tape the door shut in order to minimize the smoke escaping through the door.  I have looked for a replacement seal but to no availe.  Any suggestions? #2 - the sticky button - I have tried using WD40 to loosen it but it still sticks flush with the base and there is not enough room to pull it out (and I have long nails!). I use 2 very thin screwdrivers to maneuver it out.  Is it time to replace the smoke box?  Thanks for any suggestions?

Sue

BigSmoker

Sue,
You can order replacement parts for your Bradley @//www.chezbubba.com.  The button may be sticking due to built up smoke residue.  Always make sure you crack the top vent so the smoke has a place to go.  If you have been leaving it closed the smoke is forced back out the smoke generator and could cause this problem.  The door seal also needs to be wiped off with a damp cloth after each use .  I think mine may not be perfectly straight but still works well after a year.  I have a stainless model and the seal is magnetic as far as I know.  I will assume the black version seal is the same.  Happy smokin' and welcome to the forum and hope to hear from you again.  Lots of good support here.[:)]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

Jeff,

Couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks![:)]

Sue,

Mine's (black) approaching 4 years & the seal is fine.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

SueBn

Hi Jeff and Kirk,
Thank you for your input - I really appreciate it.  Unfortunately, I should have checked this forum out 3 years ago! I am tempted to start over again with a new SS BS taking proper care of it instead of replacing the parts needed on the B BS - i.e. button, seal, pans, and the inside is VERY ugly!!  I have been smoking for 4 days staight now (about 60 lbs. of salmon) and I usually use alder for the salmon but my husband wanted to try hickory - what a disaster! The new pucks I ordered (hickory) were so loose they kept clogging up and stopping the smoker. I am of the opinion I need to throw away the current batch because it stopped so many times while I was at work (2 days).  It smells okay but it had to have grown some unsavory bugs during that time.  It is heavily brined - what do you think?  

Sue

Habanero Smoker

I had a similiar problem with the button sticking, and my unit was only a couple of weeks old. It was not caused by any residue build up, and generally would only happen when the ambient temperature was below 55 degrees. Fortunately I was able to grasp my button with my finger nails. If your generator is working, the button problem is easily fixed. After you clean it, or not; the following is what I did.

What I eventualy did, was super glued a small knob on the button so I could pull it out if it got stuck. What I used for the knob was the top piece of a plastic thumb tack, the type of thumb tack that the top piece is shaped like an hour glass. I cut off the metal point, then filed the rest of the remaining metal so that it was flush with the plastic. Then I cleaned off the smoke generator button, and glued the plastic piece of the thumb tack to the button. I hope those instructions are clear, after reading it, it sounds confusing. But the idea is to find something to glue to the button to act as a knob that you can grasp, but will not restrict the button from being fully pushed in.

My second plan, if the above did not work, was to take a small (very small) self-taping screw, and screw it into the button part way. The screw then becomes a knob, which you can grasp to pull out the button. This is quicker to set up then the above proceedure, but you need to find a small screw and be careful not to break the button.

Either way, it's no a major hassle to operate the BS this way. You only have to push and pull the button no more than three times per smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SueBn</i>
<br />Hi Jeff and Kirk,
Thank you for your input - I really appreciate it.  Unfortunately, I should have checked this forum out 3 years ago! I am tempted to start over again with a new SS BS taking proper care of it instead of replacing the parts needed on the B BS - i.e. button, seal, pans, and the inside is VERY ugly!!  I have been smoking for 4 days staight now (about 60 lbs. of salmon) and I usually use alder for the salmon but my husband wanted to try hickory - what a disaster! The new pucks I ordered (hickory) were so loose they kept clogging up and stopping the smoker. I am of the opinion I need to throw away the current batch because it stopped so many times while I was at work (2 days).  It smells okay but it had to have grown some unsavory bugs during that time.  It is heavily brined - what do you think?  
Sue
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sue,
The inside of my Bradley is completely black and the only thing I really clean after a smoke is the V shaped drip tray because it gets gunked up.  The rest I rinse, wipe out and back in the smoker.  

Not sure where you are getting your pucks.  If they have been subjected to to much moisture I'm afraid they may not be any good.  My packs usually have some shake in them but I've never had any problems with the pucks clogging the generator and stopping the process.  You also need to keep the puck pathway clean of small pieces.  I use a shop vac when needed.  My last two puck orders came from Kirk and have had no problems with them at all.  Service was fast and professional.
As far as smoking wood for salmon I would stick to the milder woods with alder being first.  The danger zone for food is between 40-140f.  The salt brine may change this some what but I'm not sure and will defer on judging if your salmon is good or not.  But I would think if your not comfortable with it say goodbye and enjoy the rest[:)].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

nsxbill

Sue I too have a SS model.  The seal on mine gets pretty tacky, and like you glad I joined th forum, and listened.  I wipe my seal down after every smoke.  The inside...I just knock off the heavy food....I think the coating inside adds to the flavor....I like to call it seasoning.

Something to consider for your sticky switch...
There is a spray solution that I got from Radio Shack to clean my commercial phone system buttons.  I have an old Merlin system and intercom in the house.  It was handy when the kids were growing up, but phones by present day standards are antiques.  To clean the buttons when I first brought it home, I used this spray, and it is safe to clean and lubricate switches and the like.  I think it is also for use on computer keyboards.  Works good and won't cause electical shorts or failure.

I have 3 or four cases of boxes of the bisquettes..each case has about 480 bisquettes or about 160 hours of smoke per case.   Very few are kept outside with the smoker.  I keep them inside where it is dry.  They are pretty fragile, and if exposed to moisture deteriorate quickly...

I do recommend to all to keep your bisquettes stored with the gunpowder.... neither will work if they get wet!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

Hey Bill,

If you stockpile bisquettes like that, just how much gunpowder do you have?[:D][:D]

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigRed

Sue!

If you decide to get rid of your old black BS smoker and want to give it away let me know. I would gladly pay the frieght.

BigRED

nsxbill

Chez,

Only gunpowder I have are in those little brass things with primer caps.  I like Alder, Maple and Oak for smoking, so bought a case of each.  Live in the boonies, and don't like to run out.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

You were a Boy Scout, weren't ya?[8D]

SueBn

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions - it has definitly helped. I have decided to purchase a SS and give the original BS to my dad (sorry Big Red). So far, the best price I have found is $479 with no shipping, handling or tax. Does anyone know if there is a better deal to be had[?]  

Thanks,
Sue[:I]

Sue

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SueBn</i>
I have decided to purchase a SS and give the original BS to my dad (sorry Big Red). So far, the best price I have found is $479 with no shipping, handling or tax. Does anyone know if there is a better deal to be had[?]  
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sue,
Sometimes cheaper is not better[:)].  I have read many threads on this forum about people ordering Bradleys from internet sites claiming the best price.  After 6 weeks or longer(lots of agrivation and phone calls)a damaged Bradley finally shows up.  I swear I think I remember somebody even getting a used unit.  I could be wrong about that though?  I don't recall those retailers names but I would wait and see if some of those folks respond about them so you know who not to order from.  I do love my stainless model.[:D]

<font color="red">EDIT:  Was just reminded Chez gives 10% off future puck prices if you order your Bradley from him[8D]</font id="red">

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

MallardWacker

The <b><font color="red">DEMON[}:)]</font id="red"></b> house of no return is: <font size="5"><font color="red"><b><u><i>America's Best BBQ</i></u></b></font id="red"></font id="size5">

<font size="6"><font color="blue"><font face="Impact">YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!</font id="Impact"> </font id="blue"></font id="size6">

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

SueBn

Thanks Jeff and "MallardWacker"! America's Best BBQ is OUT and I will wait for other suggestions on company's.  I checked Chez's site out but could not find the Stainless Steel, only the Original, which is on sale by the way.

Sue

Sue