• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

RIB TEMPS?

Started by Artmiester, September 05, 2007, 11:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artmiester

Every time I prepare a load for the DBS I always include at least a rack or two of ribs and position them above the butts or the thickest cut with a probe to check temp. After sufficient time and smoke I quickly do the lift from one end or twist a bone to check on tenderness. Consequently, I'm opening the door much more than needed lenghthening cook time overall. Does anyone use a probe on their ribs? If so, where and how (position)? My skills on making a good guesstimate are improving but I'd still like to have some digital backup and save a little heat/time, especially when I don't have a large "control" piece included. How 'bout it? ??? ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

Consiglieri

I haven't had any luck with a remote temp probe with ribs.  Not enough meat to stick the darn probe in (and so the temp readings reflect more of the box heat conducted to the probe tip than the meat temp).

Best bet from my perspective is to-- here's the hard part-- wait.  In my experience, it will take 5 hours minimum at 210-220F to even get the ribs in the "done" ballpark.  If you're cooking your ribs with other cuts of meat, and big ones at that, maybe even longer.  You can eyeball the ribs when you open the door to baste.  Look at their color and how far the meat has pulled back from the bone tips.  When you start noticing the dark amber color, and the meat has pulled back about an inch on spares and a half inch on babybacks, you're in the ballpark and can begin checking doneness more thoroughly.  There have been a bunch of tongue in cheek posts about how Bradley should offer a double paned door window as an option so that people like me don't have to open the door so much.

You probably also want to measure box temp using your own probe rather than any BS equiped thermometer(whether door guage or digital).  There is a great deal of temp difference between top and bottom of the box and with the ribs up top, you may have built in even more cooking time.

Consiglieri

smokin stu

I don't bother probing the ribs.  I start cooing at 10:00 in the morning and they come out at 4:30 - 5:00 that evening for a one hour rest (FTC), and its ususally good to go.

I've started mopping with BBQ sauce about and hour before its done in the smoker and that gives me a good sense as to how cooked they are.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: smokin stu on September 05, 2007, 01:39:45 PM
I start cooing at 10:00 in the morning

Around here the cooing starts way earlier!  ;)  :D  ;D  ;D

Sorry Stu... I had to!  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 05, 2007, 01:49:14 PM
Quote from: smokin stu on September 05, 2007, 01:39:45 PM
I start cooing at 10:00 in the morning

Around here the cooing starts way earlier!  ;)  :D  ;D  ;D

Sorry Stu... I had to!  ::)

Mike
:D :D :D :D
Gotta agree with that one. Coo when you can I always say.
Seriously though the best way to tell when ribs are done is to twist one. When it come off with some meat on it it's done. BTW you always eat the test rib or two or three or? ;D

Consiglieri

[/quote]
:D :D :D :D
Gotta agree with that one. Coo when you can I always say.
Seriously though the best way to tell when ribs are done is to twist one. When it come off with some meat on it it's done. BTW you always eat the test rib or two or three or? ;D
[/quote]

Unless you're at BBQ U.  Apparently Mr. Raichlin busted Gizmo for sneaking off a lamb chop off the rack. 
Consiglieri

kiyotei

of course there's the lazy man approach (or perhaps impatient).  Meat only absorbs smoke till it hits a temp of 140.  So basically, I smoke em for about 2 hours and then transfer them to the oven where they are wrapped in foil with a bit of apple juice.  I will bake them at 250-300 for an hour or two.  I have one other thing I do, not sure what anyone else thinks about this idea but I keep the meat cold, fridge temp when I put it in the hot smoker.  I do this particularly with small cuts like ribs or chicken breasts.  This causes them to take more time to heat up and so they have more time to absorb smoke.

Gizmo

Quote from: Consiglieri on September 05, 2007, 03:31:31 PM

Unless you're at BBQ U.  Apparently Mr. Raichlin busted Gizmo for sneaking off a lamb chop off the rack. 

I resemble that.  8)  8)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Carter

Is that a true story Giz?  Pretty funny if it is. ;D

Gizmo

Yup.  Although it was my partner that actually removed the rib.  I was being more carefull.  Another student wanted some to so that ended up being too much.  I fessed up.  This was one of the highlights of the 3 days.  Everyone was either laughing or cheering.  We found out that the food they server us is not necessarily the exact same recipe or cooking technique the we use in class (as they are cooking to feed the entire class 30-50 students).  So their prep takes volume into consideration.  Several of us wanted to taste the product we created so, CHOMP.
Unfortunatly, I wasn't allowed to plate the rack of lamb so I couldn't hide it.   :'(

Carter

Hard to control yourself when lamb is involved.

I've often thought I'd like to take a real cooking class.  BBQ U by the guy who helped me move past Montreal Steak Spice and Kraft BBQ sauce would be right up my alley.

Raichlin opened my mind to BBQ potential.  I got the BBQ Bible as a wedding gift.

Dexter413

Hey Guys
I just got my Bradley smoker last Tuesday and I used it on Saturday.I read alot of posts and decided to smoke my pork ribs for 6Hrs.That was too long they were cooked but a little over done  so I will now smoke them for 4 1\2 to 5 Hrs. tops. I didn't have a temp probe but I think it's fairly easy to judge when they are done.This was my first time using a electric smoker.

Mr Walleye

Hi Dexter & welcome to the forum. Sounds like your first smoke went pretty good! Gotta have a little room for improvement or it's not as much fun!  ;)

Once you get a temp probe you may find your times change again when you can see what the temp is around the meat. Either way sounds like you're doing great.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

Welcome Dex

Quote from: Dexter413 on September 05, 2007, 08:48:15 PM
I read alot of posts and decided to smoke my pork ribs for 6Hrs.That was too long they were cooked but a little over done  so I will now smoke them for 4 1\2 to 5 Hrs. tops.

Try Smoking for 4 hours, then wrap in foil with some apple juice and or Jack Daniels and seal it up tight, continue for 2 more hours or so.  Wrapping in foil will give you lots of flexibility in serving time.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Carter on September 05, 2007, 07:13:28 PM
Hard to control yourself when lamb is involved.

I've often thought I'd like to take a real cooking class.  BBQ U by the guy who helped me move past Montreal Steak Spice and Kraft BBQ sauce would be right up my alley.

Raichlin opened my mind to BBQ potential.  I got the BBQ Bible as a wedding gift.

If you get the chance you should attend a professional cooking class. I live about 26 miles from the Culinary Institute of America (CIA), and have taken a variety of classes they offer to the general public. It's very informative. You are not just learning a recipe, you are being taught the science that makes the recipe work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)