Rump Roast...

Started by Thevenin, October 27, 2004, 06:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thevenin

Ok the new kid has a question.  I've got my hands on a nice 6lb rump roast. (don't ask how, but I didn't have a choice on the meat)

Now what the heck do I do with it?  I'll need the idiot version of the instructions too.

Let me know hopefully, for a smoke this weekend.

Thev.

PS: I've got a SS Bradley that I just seasoned last week and am ready to give it a run.

Habanero Smoker

A rump roast should cook pretty well in a smoker. An instant read digital meat thermometer is a must, and a cabinet thermometer would be a plus. A lot of people on this forum have the Maverick ET-73; dual probe wireless thermometer. Some have suggested putting strips of bacon over the meat, or on a rack above the meat, so the drippings from the bacon will baste the meat. Also you should buy the book Smoke and Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.

Basic Rub for Beef (Others may have better suggestions)
2 tablespoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Apply about half of this mixture over the surface of the meat and rub the spices in good. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight. Take the meat out of the refrigerator about 2 hours before you place it in the smoker. This will bring the meat temperature up, and save you a lot of time smoking it. Remove the plastic wrap and apply the rest of the rub, especially to any spots you may have missed the first time. Preheat your Bradley; I would smoke this at 200 - 220, until you reach your desired meat temperature. For beef, cook it until the internal temperature is 120° to 125° for rare, 130° to 140° for medium rare, 145° to 150° for medium, and 155° to 165° for well done. A lot of smokers will take it up to 180 degrees. Keep in mind that meat will continue to cook, after you pull it out of the smoker. The temperature could reach another 5 to 10 degrees.

Although it is hard, avoid opening the door as much as possible, this will increase the time it takes the meat to get done.

Good luck. Which ever recipe you use let us know how it turned out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

I forgot to add, I would use four hour of smoke (12 pucks); I have had luck with using 1 Mesquite, for every 3 hickory, when smoking beef. The fun part is, you can experiment and choose with flavor smoke you want.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BigSmoker

Thev.,
First welcome to the group and for starting with something out of the ordinary.  All of the following is opinion only.  Your roast has enough marbling to do a couple of things.  If you want to use the Bradley I would suggest cooking until the meat turns easy with a fork(about 185-190f internal temp) at a low temp(225f) for several hours.  What you will end up with is a "pot roast" style meat that will need to sit 15-30 minutes before "pulling".  If you want to eat it med. rare to med. I would suggest a 2 hour cold smoke then searing at high heat(550f-650f) both sides remove from heat and finish on grill at 375f until desired internal temp is reached, then slice across the grain on a diagonal.  This would be a fast cook on a grill.  If you want something different put a coffee infused rub on the outside of the roast[:p](I usually rub then wrap with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge overnight, but for me it's not written in stone) serve with sweet potatoes and spinich soufle'.  Try some oak pucks for the smoke flavor[;)].  Hickory and pecan work too.

Other suggestions:  Like HS said get a temp probe,  don't use more than 4 hrs of smoke, buy a good cook/smoke book, Smoke and Spice,  BBQ Bible among lots of others, keep the top vent cracked to avoid moisture build up and it also lets the smoke escape where it was designed to, have lots of fun, I don't usually use the bottom rack unless I'm packing her full, ask lots of questions we all learn from them, use a strong flashlight to shine thru the top vent instead of opening the door, always use the foil towel method with brisket and pork butt, never start a smoke if you don't have the time because its ready when its ready, and all the other stuff I forgot[:D].
Happy Smokin'.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Thevenin

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />Thev.,
First welcome to the group and for starting with something out of the ordinary.  All of the following is opinion only.  Your roast has enough marbling to do a couple of things.  If you want to use the Bradley I would suggest cooking until the meat turns easy with a fork(about 185-190f internal temp) at a low temp(225f) for several hours.  What you will end up with is a "pot roast" style meat that will need to sit 15-30 minutes before "pulling".  If you want to eat it med. rare to med. I would suggest a 2 hour cold smoke then searing at high heat(550f-650f) both sides remove from heat and finish on grill at 375f until desired internal temp is reached, then slice across the grain on a diagonal.  This would be a fast cook on a grill.  If you want something different put a coffee infused rub on the outside of the roast[:p](I usually rub then wrap with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge overnight, but for me it's not written in stone) serve with sweet potatoes and spinich soufle'.  Try some oak pucks for the smoke flavor[;)].  Hickory and pecan work too.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ok thanks for the tips so far.  I've already got a really nice remote temp probe from my former life as a master griller (Graduate of BBQ University in fact) and now am ready to give it double duty as a smoker probe.  
I've first in line for the next batch of Power Raptors, because it fits my lifestyle.  Also i've got a Smoke and Spice on order from Amazon.  So now that this new "hobby" has cost me near a grand I guess I'm ready to actually cook something.  

And because BigSmoker has TWO more stars than Habanaro Smoker (Ha just kidding Hab's) his advice wins.

I'm gonna try the "pot roast style" meat, because I can turn out some really good grilled work already and I'm looking for something diffrent.

Also I don't know if my spice rack if full enought to make a rub from scratch I might have to improvise.  Also I don't want to have TOO smokey a flavor so I'm a touch worried about the "devil wood" mesquite and hickory.  Should I go will less pucks or a different wood.

Thanks!
Thev.

BigSmoker

I would like to hear more about the BBQ University when you get a chance.  My favorite wood for smokin' is pecan but oak will impart a nice mellow flavor on that piece of beef.  I wish the Bradley folks would add a whiskey puck as it goes well with almost anything[^].
You could also use a sea salt 4 pepper rub with some turbinado sugar for a nice flavor[:)].  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  The Bradley truley is a fantastic smoker.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

Habanero Smoker

The Power Raptor/Guru combination works great with the BS. Hopefully the second run will ship with some instructions on how to hook it up. If it doesn't here's a link to Bill's instructions  http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=400&whichpage=3

I guess I like more smoke than most. I believe the combination of 1 Mesquite, for every 3 hickory works well with beef, but as you stated many consider Mesquite too strong and do not like the taste of it. One thing about the BS smoke is that it is not as intense as if you were to smoke with wood chips. Jeff has provided good advise on alternative wood flavors.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Thevenin

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />I would like to hear more about the BBQ University when you get a chance.  My favorite wood for smokin' is pecan but oak will impart a nice mellow flavor on that piece of beef.  I wish the Bradley folks would add a whiskey puck as it goes well with almost anything[^].
You could also use a sea salt 4 pepper rub with some turbinado sugar for a nice flavor[:)].  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  The Bradley truley is a fantastic smoker.

Ok looks like Oak and a nice rub is a go for this weekend.  It sounds like it should come out almost like a pulled pork style fall apart meat.  That should be fun.  Also thanks for the tips on the power Raptor, I'm really chomping at the bit on that one.

I've got some relatives coming in for an early brunch so I think I'll do my cedar plank salmon for them.  It's on the grill, but I know it's a winner and I'm not ready to do 2 experiments with smoker in one weekend.  Especially with guests, but it should smoke fish like a king.

BBQ U is a class offered at the Greenbrier hotel that is really a fun time.  It's 4 days of mostly just eating like a pig some awesome BBQ stuff.  It's taught by Steven Raichlen of BBQ bible fame.  We made everything from BBQ pizza to BBQ banana cream pie.  The fun thing is we would make the dish ourselves and end up screwing it up, or only making 3 of them (for a class of 30) and in the back the professional staff of the Greenbrier would make the same food but for all of us and it was way better than we could.  Especially when the directions were to cook for 12 hours, but we only had 90 minutes in class.  

I'm not sure how much I actually learned, but it was a lot of fun.  And it made me more adventurous with grilling.

Thev

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thevenin</i>
BBQ U is a class offered at the Greenbrier hotel that is really a fun time.  It's 4 days of mostly just eating like a pig some awesome BBQ stuff.  It's taught by Steven Raichlen of BBQ bible fame.  We made everything from BBQ pizza to BBQ banana cream pie.  The fun thing is we would make the dish ourselves and end up screwing it up, or only making 3 of them (for a class of 30) and in the back the professional staff of the Greenbrier would make the same food but for all of us and it was way better than we could.  Especially when the directions were to cook for 12 hours, but we only had 90 minutes in class.  

I'm not sure how much I actually learned, but it was a lot of fun.  And it made me more adventurous with grilling.

Thev

Thev,
Sounds like a lot of fun.  I have been contemplating the class for a while but had not heard any feed back from anyone that had actually attended.  The only thing I don't like about Steve Raichlen is he is so heavily endorsed by Weber and some other big hitters that a lot comperable or better cookers are never given any exposure.  I guess thats just big business though.  Good luck with the eats this weekend and have fun.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

Thevenin

Thev,
Sounds like a lot of fun.  I have been contemplating the class for a while but had not heard any feed back from anyone that had actually attended.  The only thing I don't like about Steve Raichlen is he is so heavily endorsed by Weber and some other big hitters that a lot comperable or better cookers are never given any exposure.  I guess thats just big business though.  Good luck with the eats this weekend and have fun.

Just so you know it's not much of a class as a fun weekend of eating.  Although you pick up a trick or two, it's very much as you suspect.  His show and his cookers, but there were about 20 different grills we got to play with.  Very cool weekend, but don't count on it changing your life, cooking wise.  Some of the people in the class took their own plane to be there, so that's a fun dinner conversations.  

It was cool that Food Network was filming us that weekend.  I got on one of their shows.  I think it was the top 5 countdown of cooking classes or something like that.   But again it was far from a college level culinary arts class, mostly just fun.

Thev.

oooooo....getting closer to smoke time........

Thevenin

Ok here's the report.

I started by finding out I didn't have all the ingrediants to make my own rub, so I used a combo of Stubbs and Austin Salt Lick Rub.  Wrapped it in Plastic and put it in the fridge till Monday (3 days).

Pulled it out and let it come up a bit to room temp and sorta pre-heated the BS.  Then in goes the thermometer (wireless link on) and into the smoker at about 11:30, fat side up.  Did 8 pucks of Oak followed by my Bubba Pucks and a final one for shoving.

It wasn't too hard to keep the temp at about 225ish.  And she came up to temp nice and slow. Eventually at 6:30 (7 hours) I couldn't wait anymore and pulled it at 173 deg (was aiming for 180). Gave it the 45 minute rest in foil (Damn that was tough) and then took the knife to her.

Ok here's the verdict. Good, but not great.  Lots of pepper flavor from the rub(maybe too much), but the meat itself really didn't have too much taste.  Just a touch too tough, but not bad.  Even when cutting against the grain, just didn't have the softness I was going for, just seemed a little dry.  I don't know if that's the cut or the cooking. I never basted it or anything.

For a first smoke it wasn't bad. Here's the questions remaining...
1. do I have to plan on 10 hours ever time, can 3-4-5 or five hour be doable. Maybe with the raptor (when it finally shows) and a higher start temp.
2. Should I have done something more for a moister meat, or is it the cut?  Maybe a wet marinade, or brine or inject the sucker?
3. Water ran dry, but don't know when (It's a bitch not to open that thing once it gets going, "just to check")
4. should I have done a longer smoke than 2.5 hours?
5. Different wood, I really didn't taste much smoke at all. (but I WAS worried of over smoke flavor.
6. I'm having some trouble finding a brisket, can I substitue a corned beef?

Ok ok enough.  I'll wait for answers on this one.

Thev.

(Ps. thanks for the help too!)

nsxbill

Response:
1:  Slow is better for me - like I have posted previously, 205 BS temp.  Meat to 175-180 degrees.
2:  I think injecting makes the meat mushy.  Last briskets, I just used cheapo Wishbone Italian dressing for 48hrs and then a light dusting of rub.  I let them sit for about an hour before putting in the smoker to get to room temp.
3:  Cooking at higher temps causes the water to evap quickly. I have done 14hrs smokes and still plenty of water in the bowl when I use low temps.
4:  Smoke for 4 hrs(12 bisquettes) of the time in smoker.  It is about right
5:  Sams Club has brisket, but if no Sams, just ask your butcher for it.

You should have let it rest longer.  The longer the better.

Better luck next time.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

Thevenin,
Its a learning curve.  Might have been more moist if you had slathered with yellow mustard.  I would have cooked until 185f-190f and let rest wrapped in foil for at least a hour.  I would have rubbed for me my favorite Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express or Dizzy Pig Cow Lick or even Monteral Stek rub I thnk it is or maybe even some original char crust.  I gave up making my own because of the cost to make fresh rubs for just me and the family.  The Oak should have give a nice mellow even woody flavor but you may prefer the hickory or mesquite for a stronger flavor.  If you want the real slow cooked beef definitely try a brisket at no more than 225f.  It will take 1 1/2-2 hrs per lb but should be very moist and tender.  Happy smokin' and all my bad results were still eatable so have fun and maybe try a pork butt soon.[:D].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

BigRed

Thevein!

You are shades of me when I started playing with my Bradley Smoker.The way I over came being in a hurry is smoke/cook overnight!
I only smoke for 4 hours, The boys on this form taught me that, then let it cook slow and low 210 to 215 degrees. I have done briskets up to 12 to 14 hours. Put on at 10 at night and it should be finished at 10:00 or so in the morning. I use a Maverick 73 to check the meat temp. I only go by the meat temp. so your time might vary. Cook the Pork Butt the same way. You probably have read about the foil, towel, cooler. I do one more scarn wrap, then foil, then towel and then cooler. That meat that comes off at 10 or 11 AM may still be too hot to handle by 5 or 6PM. Keep up experimenting it is the only way you will learn. Take notes on every cook and keep tweeking! Good luck!

BigRED

MallardWacker

Hang in there, you will find the way, it's not that hard with a BS to have things come out simply great.  Jeff and BigR have my thoughts also.  My typical HUNK O' BEEF or PORK is cooked at 220 til a internal of 185.  With brisket 185 still gives you sliceable-tender piece of meat.  I you want the pot~roast type, fall all apart, go to 190+.  Still what ever you do (I know everyone is saying,there he goes again) pull the meat~double wrap it in foil~then in a old towl~this is an extra step~place it in a cooler.  For two hours.  Believe you me THIS will make a differance, no matter if it is pork or beef.  Just my .017 cents worth

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...