Boston Butt Roast

Started by dbrown, October 31, 2004, 04:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrown

We are smoking a Boston Butt Roast according to a recipe in S & S.  The instructions say to cook 1-1/2 hrs per pound.  Ours weighs 8.78 lbs.  It has been in the smoker for 2-1/2 hours and the internal temperature is already 130 degrees F.  According to the recipe, the meat should be ready at about 7:00 PM tonight.  How can we slow it down and still have it come out good?  It has been cooking at 220 degrees F.  Thanks for any help.

Dbrown

nsxbill

I do most of my smoking at 205.  Your butt, even at 220 is going to plateau at about 160-167 and sit there for awhile.  Don't push it.  That is the temp when the collagen breaks down.  If you keep cooking at 220, and it finishes earlier than anticipated, wrap it up in foil, beach or bath towel, and put it into a large Coleman-like cooler.  Even 3-4 hours later, it will almost be too hot to handle, and you have the added benefit of the long rest to really let the meat get tender.  You will be amazed and rewarded for excellent results for this patience! You just can't rush a good thing!

Enjoy,

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

dbrown

Thanks for the quick answer.  We can relax and wait.  One more question, what is the best way to handle the grease that runs out the door.  We try not to open the door and use a remote thermometer to monitor the internal temp. of the meat.

Dbrown

nsxbill

You do have your Vshaped grease catcher under the rack, and the water filled bowl under the smoke generator don't you?   I have never had grease come out, and I did avg 12# Butt both times.  I smoked for only 4-5 hrs, then just left the butt to cook with the lamp and generator heat source on.  Top vent cracked about 1/8 - 1/4.  

My temp control is via BBQ-Guru, but before I got it, I took out the bowl, dumped it after pucks were expended and refilled with hot water and shut the door until my meat got to temp.    NO PEEKING.  Thought the pucks in water would add bad taste to meat.  It doesn't.  Now I just put in the pucks for whatever time, Walk away and come back when it is done.  Guru keeps the temp in control and no need to even look.  If you do open the door, expect big heat loss and then delay getting chamber up to temp again.  If you put in boiling water, it helps.  One of the guys heats up fire brick, cut to size around the bowl, and heat in BS is maintained.    Kind of like using a pizza stone for pizza.

Good luck,

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

dbrown,  
Make sure you top spinner vent is cracked to let out some moisture.   If your setup is like Bill described what you are seeing is probally mostly (I hope) water.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

dbrown

Bill and Jeff,
Thank you so much for your help.  The vent was closed and the run over was water.  We are very new to Smoking and are having a lot of fun.  This forum is wonderful.  Again, thank you.

dbrown

BigSmoker

dbrown,
Glad to be of service[:D].  All the membewrs here are filled with great advice and are always glad to help.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

ChefJeff

DB,Make sure to wipe down the door seal after you finish or you will discover a new SUPER GLUE!![:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Chez Bubba

DB,

Your butt will come up to temp fast but slow severely. It's easy to raise the internal temp of the meat from 75F to 140F in a 220F environment. What will take time is getting it to 190F in a 220F environment.

When doing any high-fat roast for more than 4 hours, you should plan to empty & re-fill the water bowl once. Although you believe the run-off to be water, I suspect it was fat and water combined. This, running out your smoker can damage it.

Also, if you don't empty the water bowl & clean it within a day of smoking, pinholes will be eaten through it. Ash+fat+water=lye, a very caustic substance.

And, if you ever walk out to check the smoker during a long smoke & the door thermometer is red-lined, DON'T OPEN THE DOOR. Unplug it & wait until the temp comes down to a safe level. You have a grease fire in the making & adding oxygen will start the catastrophic results.

Happy smokin' & welcome to the forum,

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?