Smoked Appetizer Suggestions

Started by Consiglieri, October 21, 2007, 11:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consiglieri

Hi all.

Going to dinner at the inlaws tonight (just around the corner) and they've asked us to bring an appetizer.  Checked out the recipe site and was thinking about ABTs or smoked shrimp. Never tried either of these recipes.  Shrimp will probably be a better choice due to their heat/fat aversion.

How spicey are ABT's?  How necessary is the bacon wrap?

Any other recipe suggestions you guys are willing to share?
Consiglieri

West Coast Kansan

Greetings Consiglieri,
ABT's not that spicy,  If they go for shrimp maybe some scallops - usually something different from most peoples regular diet.  Just a thought.  Stay with the bacon wrap on the scallops too  :)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Consig,
Try the cold smoke on the scallops, then when you get to the inlaws, hit them with a little lemmon pepper and garlic, then pan sear them.  The pan sear is very short on each side as you don't want to turn them into skateboard wheels.  If you want, get some Tasso and cube it up less any of the fat that might be there.  Add the small Tasso cubes to the pan when searing the scallops.  You could do the same with raw shrimp as well. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

Just a little something to add to the bacon wrapped scallops, if you do them. Try using grape or blackberry jelly as a dip. I know it sounds strange, but I first had it in a seafood restaurant somewhere in South Florida, and won't eat scallops any other way now!

La Quinta

WOW Gizmo...my mouth is watering...could you do bacon in a pinch? Or chorizo cubed?

Gizmo

Quote from: La Quinta on October 21, 2007, 03:30:01 PM
WOW Gizmo...my mouth is watering...could you do bacon in a pinch? Or chorizo cubed?

Sure can.  I was staying away from the bacon as Consig's posting was shying away from it.  If you use bacon wrap, cook the bacon before wraping but not to where it is crispy.  You still want the bacon bendable.   
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

great suggestions!  Sent the boss to the store with a list for ABT stuff and a discerning eye for some fresh shrimp or scallops.  I suspect the shrimp will be the best bet.

Appreciate the ideas.  And I think the bacon will be used this time.  I'll experiment w/o some other time.
Consiglieri

Consiglieri

So, ADD boy liked all the suggestions.  The appetizer menu consists of ABTs, brined shrimp and scallops (bacon wrapped) per the recipe site.  Substituted turkey bacon for the real stuff as a compromise and will report back. 

Thanks again everyone. 
Consiglieri