Did I screw up?

Started by hotlink, November 02, 2004, 11:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotlink

I recently was the successful bidder on a BS at a Pheasants Forever banquet ($300 U.S.).I had never heard of the product, but it looked cool and I was trying to run up bids for a good cause. No Bisquettes were included. None were available within driving distance. My BBQ jones overcame me and I cured the BS  with a chunk of dry, unsoaked hickory. It burned. Cooked two briskets and two slabs of beef ribs using the same wood. Strong smoke flavor but perhaps a hint acrid (although no one said anything). Today I received bisquettes. Should I wash out the inside and cure per instructions perhaps with apple or cherry or can I just smoke away?

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hotlink</i>
<br />I recently was the successful bidder on a BS at a Pheasants Forever banquet ($300 U.S.).I had never heard of the product, but it looked cool and I was trying to run up bids for a good cause. No Bisquettes were included. None were available within driving distance. My BBQ jones overcame me and I cured the BS  with a chunk of dry, unsoaked hickory. It burned. Cooked two briskets and two slabs of beef ribs using the same wood. Strong smoke flavor but perhaps a hint acrid (although no one said anything). Today I received bisquettes. Should I wash out the inside and cure per instructions perhaps with apple or cherry or can I just smoke away?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

HotLink!

That must have been a pain in the.............trying to smoke with hunks of wood. I don't think it will be necessary to clean out the inside of your BS. I am sure that you smoked for at least a couple of hours.I would not clean it and start over. Look for the Chez Bubba website you can order anything for your BS including all favors of bisquettes. Welcome and good luck!!

BigRED

BigSmoker

hotlink,
Very interesting.  I only paid $100.00 for my Bradley.  I'm sure at some point you'll forget about paying 3 bills for one.  Just kidding.[8D]  300.00 bucks was a good price for a Bradley.  Were you in that much of a hurry to smoke something that you could not wait for the pucks?  If so, I like your thinkin', but the Bradley is not designed for that.  Just use the pucks and enjoy the non "acrid" taste.  I would not wash the inside but maybe wipe it with damp paper towels(this time only).  You can probally just leave it the way it is but who knows[;)].  Some points to remember.  Always during a hot smoke crack the top vent to prevent moisture buildup.  Clean the seals around the door and where they make contact with the unit.  Keep the puck pathway free of debris.  Have fun.  Its done when its done.  Complete cook, wrap with foil then towels and let it sit.  I'm sure the other folks will follow with more tips.  Wow this forum is jumping with new folks lately[:D][:D][:D].  P.S.  Post often.  Lots of friends here.[:)]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.