Started by La Quinta, November 20, 2007, 05:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Ok so here is the basic recipe....

Cooking Spray
!Tsp Olive oil
1 1/2 cups of chopped onions
2 cloves chopped garlic
2 cloves of garlic crushed (oh yeah) Needs more tho!!!
2 1/2 cup of yellow peppers (you can use any kind of peppers you can get...green maybe not) need the sweetness from red, yellow, orange...(well you know what I mean)

1 TBL of ground cumin
1 TBL hot Hugarian paprika
1 TBL chilli powder
2 TSP of sugar
1/2 TSP salt
1/4 TSP ground cloves

2 14 and 1/2 oz cans of no salt added stewed toms (undrained)
1 15 oz can of kidney beans (drained)
1 15 oz can of cannelini beans (drained)
1 15 oz can of black beans (drained)
2 TBLS not salt added tomato paste

2 TBLS balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro

OK...so coat a dutch oven with the spray...add the olive oil...medium high heat and add the onion and garlic until tender. Add the yellow peppers and saute until the peppers are tender. Add the cumin and the next five ingredients; saute for a couple of minutes.
Next....stir in the toms and the beans and tomato paste and bring to a boil and cover and reduce to simmer for around 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat, stir in the vinegar...ladle into bowls and top with the cilantro..

That's the basic recipe...I add allspice, a little ginger, cinnamon, and curry powder and... oh yeah... way more garlic...(I know sounds weird but it works) Then...I throw in any left over smoked meats that we have...could be chicken...could be pork...could be well...ANYTHING (I wouldn't do seafood but what the hell...try it!!!) 
Anything you have left that's cooked...even if it's not smoked just dice it up and throw it in...hell it's chilli!!! Adjust the seasoning to your taste...

The beauty of this dish is that after chopping and dicing it takes 20 min to cook...if you want to do it with dried beans have at it but...you don't really need to.

Hope it looks worth trying...hubby and I love it...freezes well too!

Consiglieri

LQ: recipe sounds interesting and I see you posted it in the vegetable (etc.) subcategory.  So, restating the obvious, I take it this is a vegetarian dish typically.  I see that you add all kinds of protein though, including our typical smoked fare.  With all the strong seasoning that typically accompanies those types of smoked meat, how does the chili turn out?

I prefer the "con carne" variety, but how is this stuff without the meat?
Consiglieri

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for posting the recipe. This looks like a real good chili. I will be making a batch this weekend.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Looks great! Will give it a try, Thanx.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

La Quinta

Consigs...in it's original version this is a vegatarian dish (which is why I posted it where I did). It's is fabulous without meat. The spices will stand up to the smoked meats but I wouldn't over do it with smoked stuff. Lamb is very good in it. (non smoked )

When I was a kid I was fortunate enough to spend a lot of summer vacations in Jamaica and  IMHO if you like the Janmaican flavorings this is a great dish. Good if you happen to have vegatarian friends. Really good for you too!! Lots of dietary fiber and low calorie (w/o meat).

Consiglieri

Excellent.  Another fine project in a holding pattern.

Consiglieri

Stickbowcrafter

Just in time for the cold weather  ;)

-Brian