Smoked Food Mounting Boards

Started by Amindle, November 28, 2007, 01:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Coast Kansan

Lil S, on your crushed fish, if you are going to keep them for a while in the freezer after they are vac packed. Give them a bit of a freeze first to firm them up.  Does not take long in the freezer to get them hard enough the vac pack will not distort the shape.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

I ordered (50) 6"x10" food mounting flat boards. When they arrived I was first surprise about how heavy they were. I must state that they do make Food Saver vacuum sealed packages look much more eye-catching. I made several gifts to give away on New Year's Eve and New Years. I made ½ pound packages of sliced triple smoked bacon, and also made packages that contained two types of cheese and Canadian bacon. The 6"x10" size it just right for packaging ½ - ¾ pound of bacon using the Food Saver 8" roll. For thicker foods, such as the cheese and Canadian bacon, the 11" bags work well. To further improve the appearance, after sealing I folded the excess bag underneath and attached it with freezer tape.

If you vacuum package cheese and Canadian bacon together, first wrap the Canadian bacon in extra cling plastic wrap such as Saran "Cling Plus" Wrap, then us a hair dryer on low setting to seal the plastic more tightly. This is to prevent juices from the Canadian bacon from being drawn out and marring the cheese. If you have a "Light Seal" option on your Food Saver, use that setting.

I ordered 6"x10" boards because that is the size I wanted. I can also cut the boards smaller and it will not ruin the laminated coatings. If you do decide to order you can save some time and emails by letting them know what size board you want, the quantity and shipping address in your first communication so they can give you a quote as soon as possible. They start with a large sheet and cut the boards, so they may be able to provide the size you request. I found them to be very accommodating.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)