• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hey, chipotle, let's smoke some jalapenos!

Started by Stickbowcrafter, November 29, 2007, 11:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

Everywhere you look today it's chipotle this and chipotle that. It's not too difficult to duplicate with an OBS. A lot of people are always real interested in my homemade salsa and dressings wondering what that unique flavor is.

Well it's November and the garden is tilled under and the super market had only green ones but they'll do. If you can get your hands on the red ones, use them instead.

I cut the peppers in half lengthwise. Like I said, nothing too difficult here. I'm a hot pepper person and eat/cook them year round. If you are sensitive to them, be sure to wear some rubber gloves while cutting these things up. And whatever you do, don't touch your eyes or go to the bathroom shortly after working with these things  :o

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

I like to cold smoke mine for 2-3 hours. I've tried a variety of bisquettes with good results. Some recommend a mesquite or oak, which works great, but don't be afraid to try these if you have only other types of bisquettes available.

I use a separate cold smoke set up with the smoke generator mounted to a plywood box below the cabinet. I like to finish my peppers on the grill or in the broiler to give them yet another dimension of roasted flavor. You could easily do this in a normal set up OBS, just keep the temps low.

I place them skin side down and cold smoke for 2-3 hours.

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

I have the plum tomatoes, garlic, onion and cilantro ready and waiting for the jalapenos to turn into chipotles. I'll be back with some more pictures and a quick and easy home made salsa recipe once the peppers are done.

-Brian

Ontrack

Thanks Brian, wish I would have known this in the summer. I had jalapenos running out my ears. Couldn't eat them all, couldn't give them away...a lot ended up just rotting on the vines. Looking forward to the recipe.

Habanero Smoker

Looks good. When I make chipotle I use pecan, and they come out real good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Stickbowcrafter

OK, here's the newly formed chipotles out of the smoker. The aroma is just heavenly.

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

Next you want to char the skin. You can do so on your grill, in the broiler or by any other means you prefer. I used the broil feature of my toaster oven on these. Charred the skins real quick. You'll want to place them skin side up obviously...

Before:

After:

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

The skin peels off real easy. Here's some peeled ones on the right side of the plate.

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

Now, some folks just let them air dry after the smoking process, skin and seeds and all sometimes. You'll have dried chipotles on hand at all times for recipes. You can also air dry them after my method with the skins and seeds removed. Or you can add them directly to fresh salsa.

2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 small red onion, peeled and quartered
1 jalapeno, seeded and quartered
1 chipotle
8 plum tomatoes, quartered
1 cup cilantro leaves, washed and dried
Juice of one lime
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper

Combine garlic, onion, jalapeno and chipotle in a blender or food processor and process until finely chopped. Add tomatoes and blend. Add cilantro, lime juice and oil and continue blending. Transfer salsa to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.

Roasted salsa variation: Place the garlic, onion, jalapeno and tomatoes on a sheet pan and roast for 30 minutes at 400 degrees, then proceed as directed.

I like a little more heat so I'll occasionally add 5 green or red cayenne peppers, or any other hotter pepper available. I also like to add some salt and pepper before blending then salt and pepper to taste afterwards. And you'll notice that I'm a fan of smoother salsa, if you like yours chunkier, take it easy on the food processor.

-Brian

Ontrack

Looks great Brian. I wasn't even going to plant any jalapenos next year after wasting so many this year. But I think you changed my mind. Thanks for the recipe and I'm sure I'll be buying some peppers from the store soon to give it a try.

iceman

Man that looks great Brian.
Ontrack, plant some extras for me next season. Please, please, please. ;D ;)

Ontrack

You got it Iceman! I had so many this year I couldn't eat, give away, freeze, pickle, or throw away, so many ended of rotting on the vines. I'm glad to find something new to do with them.

Smoking Duck

Looks great Brian.  Quick couple of questions:  How long will they last stored and how do you usually store them?

Thanks!

Marc 

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Stickbowcrafter

You can keep the fresh ones up to a week in the fridge if you plan to use them. Or freeze them if you want to keep them in that state for recipes that call for them that way. I let most of them air dry on mesh racks and store them in a jar once completely dried out and grind as needed. They last pretty much indefinitely in that state. Some folks use a dehydrator to speed up the process.

-Brian

iceman

Thanks for the info Stickbow. I'd love to have a stash year round up here.