spicy peanuts recipie needed

Started by pensrock, December 09, 2007, 09:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Hi, I read somewhere, I think here but cannot find it again about using raw peanuts and soaking them in hot sauce then salting and smoking. I cannot find the recipie or know if it is any good. I'm looking for ideas to make hot, smokey peanuts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mr Walleye

I don't have a recipe for you but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

Sounds good!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

winemakers

Preheat oven to 250 degrees

1 egg white w/ 1T water, beat till very foamy.

1 lb roasted nuts (I've done pistach., peanuts, cashews etc.) roughly 3 cups
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp course salt

toss beaten egg white and nuts, mixing thoroughly to coat, transfer to collander to drain.

In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients and mix well.  After allowing several minutes for 'glue' to drain off peanuts, mix all thoroughly.

arrange nuts on sheet pans in a single layer.  Use multiple pans if necessary.

Bake for 40 minutes, stir to mix and loosen from pan, reduce heat to 200 deg. and back in for another 30 minutes or until dry.

Doubles very well, until you are out of sheet pan space.  Other spices work well, just mind those that burn.  The 2 tsp of cayenne is pretty zippy, and I often use either chipotle's I have dried, or some Thai chilies that succumbed to the dehydrator. 

These are a family favorite.

Happy Holidays and God bless

mld

pensrock

Winemakers, Thanks for the information, I'll have to try it out. Maybe I'm just dreaming but I thought I read a recipe here that used raw peanuts, then you soaked them in hot sauce, then salted them, then smoke roasted them. I'm going to try it anyway, I just do not know how long and what temp to smoke them at. I'll probably have to finish roasting them in the oven, but it sounds good and I can make them as hot as I like.

pensrock

Well I tried to make some spicy smoked peanuts and it failed. I started with raw peanuts then soaked them in cayenne pepper sauce for about an hour, salted them and spread them out in trays and put into a 200 degree smoker, smoked for 2 hours stirring the peanuts every half hour. After two hours smoke and another hour in the heat I pulled them out and they still tasted raw. So then never having roasted any nuts before, I decided to spread them out on a cookie tray and put into a 350 degree oven for another hour, stirring every 15 minutes. The nuts turned brown but still had the raw taste so I gave up and tossed them out for the birds. I guess I need to learn how to roast the peanuts first then figure a way to attempt this again. Well, live and learn, not everything will succeed on the first try.

Smoking Duck

You need to take pics of those birds dragging their butts in the snow to cool off the burning ;D

Wish I could have helped.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

;D ;D
Funny.... I do not think birds are effected by peppers though. I never thought of that when I tossed the nut over by the bird feeders.

Smoking Duck

I think you may be right....although, it could be really funny with the squirrels  :D ;D

wp72

There is a receipe on the Bradley website for this.  I tried it last night and ended up with the same results that you did, soft nuts and they still tasted raw.  I also used raw peanuts and smoked them at 220F for 2 hrs.  Does anyone know what went wrong?  I'm new to this also.

On a good note the flavour of the hot sauce and smoke is there, I just need to get them dry and crunchy.

Thanks,
WP.

Smokin Soon

As I recall, raw peanuts need at least 350 degrees to get things going. I never tried to smoke them, but you might try the same routine with an oven finish.

Smoking Duck

If anyone knows peanuts, it's my friend, SS  ;D

seemore

pens go to bradley home  look in recipies smoked peanuts p.s I put in oven after smokin 200 deg check often they will get dry it takes a little
time  I tried the 350 deg they went bad
when done right they are very good
seemore

pensrock

Thanks seemore,
  I did try that recipe and it did not come out very well for me.  Maybe I'll try again with the lower temp setting.
pens

seemore

While baking in the oven, make sure you stir them once in a while, and keep them in a single layer on the sheet.  It takes a while to get the sauce to a powder form, but that what you want.  It takes so long I thought I was cooking a Boston Butt!  ;)  When they are done, you will still find an occasional soft peanut in the bunch, but that's ok.  They are well worth the time to do. 

We use Louisiana Hot Sauce.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: seemore on December 31, 2008, 04:48:09 PM
While baking in the oven, make sure you stir them once in a while, and keep them in a single layer on the sheet.  It takes a while to get the sauce to a powder form, but that what you want.  It takes so long I thought I was cooking a Boston Butt!  ;)  When they are done, you will still find an occasional soft peanut in the bunch, but that's ok.  They are well worth the time to do. 

We use Louisiana Hot Sauce.

What kind of time frame would we be looking at?
Thanks!

SD