Hot Smoked Salmon

Started by Habanero Smoker, December 09, 2007, 01:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I decided to smoke some salmon. I generally use Kummok's recipe, but decided to do something different. I remembered a brine posted by Curtis Jackson that I always wanted to try; so I did, and I'm glad I did. This brine makes some real good smoked salmon. He posted three versions. The link is the version I used. The only changes I made was to reduce the onion powder by 50%, used granulated garlic, I didn't add any cinnamon, or mace because my pickling spice had plenty of that already, I didn't have any basil, and I decided to leave the oregano out. The only other thing I would recommend is to only brine 6-8 hours.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.msg957#msg957

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MWS

Hey Habs,

I'm smoking three sockeye salmon myself today. Thanks for the link to CJ's post. I may try the white wine addition next time. Did you notice the white wine and what's your opinion of it's addition to the brine. Cheers
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Habanero Smoker

Hi MWS;

I didn't see your post until now. I did add the white wine, and I believe it made a world of difference. I used a $7.00 white wine recommended by the owner of the liquor/wine store; Sauvignon Blanc 2006 from Chile; which is a pretty good wine.

I was somewhat concerned about the amount of ingredients, but once I over came my concern I went ahead and mixed up a gallon batch (I did reduce the onion powder by 50% more after recalculating the amount for 1 gallon).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)