Big Rib Load

Started by LowTide, December 11, 2007, 10:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowTide

Hey All,

I am going to be cooking up 8-9 racks of baby backs on Friday.  I usually cook 3-4 racks with the method below.  Any experience with how much longer to expect them to take with twice the meat in the box?  with 3-4 racks it turns out to be about 5 hours total cooking time.

Rib Recipe compiled from tips and hints found on the board:

• The day before you plan on cooking.  Peel the membranes off the ribs and pat dry.  Then rub down with your favorite rub
  • Smoke the ribs at 210 with 3 hours of your favorite pucks - Apple and Maple are nice
  • Give a squirt down of apple juice at the 3rd hour mark and turn off smoke generator, then cook for one more hour at 210
  • After the 4th hour take out and wrap up in foil add a few squirts of apple juice then seal up tight and cook for one more hour at 210
  • At the end of the 4th hour if the bones aren't pulling out with your fingers, cook a little longer until your desired doneness
  • You can throw on a pre-heated gill to crisp up and give it the grill marks
  • FTC for whatever length needed - at least 15 minutes
  • Bring inside and then slather with your sauce and cut and serve!

On a side note, I have Iceman's rub and sauce that will get its first run with this batch - can't wait!

TIA

Consiglieri

I've done a full 9 racks of ribs a couple of times.  Once, no hitches, once time/heat management made the project take a lot longer.

Here's the post on the full box:  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5171.0

Here's a follow up post after the time management fiasco which has some ideas and suggestions from the guys:  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5555.0

Good luck with your project!

Consiglieri

Wildcat

Go gentle on Iceman's rub.  When it comes to ribs, a little goes a long way.  An absolute perfect rub IMHO but with ribs you can over do it.  I also like to get the ribs done (FTC and all), then a light coat of Iceman's sauce and onto the grill long enough to dry the sauce a might.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LowTide

Thanks for the advice, going to bump it down to 6 racks.  I think I can squeeze those on the 4 shelves in my OBS.  I knew I was dreaming if I thought I was going to get 8-9 racks in there after I saw Consiglieri's post - hehe

Thanks!

LowTide

All right I have been a smoking fool.  I did 8 salmons filets on Monday, today I Had 6 racks of jerky and these bad boys along with some ABTs are going in on Friday morning.  Going to have a some friends over for dinner, should be great!  I will post pics of the results, if I don't get sidetracked and eat them!

Baby Back Prep

Total of 6 racks from Coscto (3 pack shown)

Pre membrane removal

Membrane History

Mustard Slather

Ready to rub

Icemans Rub - Oink'r Rub

Big Bob Gibson Rub

Side by side - notice easy on Oink'r Rub (Tip from Wildcat)

More to come later...

La Quinta

Holy Moly LowTide....good looking stuff there....post pics...my mouth is watering now!!! (And they're raw)!!!! :)

Consiglieri

Can't wait to read about the results.
Consiglieri

LowTide

I did the ABTs ahead of time, because I didn't want to mess up with the timelines and try and do them after the ribs. 

I make them a little different than the recipe.  It is the same up to scraping out the seeds, but then I put cream cheese in bottom (tip let it soften and put in zip lock and cut off corner - just squeeze into place), then stick shrimp or a c0cktail weenie on the cheese, then sprinkle with a little rub, then wrap one half slice bacon around and toothpick it.  Nobody can ever seem to get enough of them.

Here are the results on ABTs - rib batch went in 30 minutes ago

ABTs ready to go in

ABTs all done and looking good  :P

Ribs cut and racked

Ready for smoke

Smoking Duck

Sweet fancy Moses, LowTide.

That looks absolutely awesome.  Now, all I'm thinking about is pulling the pork outta my smoker and your ribs.

Please post pics of the after on the ribs.  They look great!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

iceman

Well thanks to LowTide I had to take an early lunch!!!
Man those look good. ;) ;D

SKSmoker

Now I am hungry. Looks great!!
Lead by example

LowTide

Sorry, but as usual things get hectic when the eating starts when you have 8 adults and 9 kids trying to dig in at the same time.

Over all things went very well.  The ABT's were awesome as usual!  A few of the racks could have been cooked a little longer, I like my bones to come clean.  I was suprisded at how thick some of the meat was on those ribs from Costco - some places it was well over an inch thick.  Not a bad thing, just needs a little more cooking time - especially with the 6 full rack load.

Finally got to try Iceman's sauce - it was a hit!  Really excellent, and has a nice kick to it to boot!  The rub was outstanding too, so over all A+ on Iceman's products!

All I could come up with...

That is all I could muster, only one picture - how sad!

Until next time...

Consiglieri

I'll try some of those discards, if they're still availabel. ;)

Looks good.  Can't wait to see the pix from the bacon project.   ;D
Consiglieri

LiL Smokie

Guy's,
    In the next coupleof days I want to try some baby back ribs.  I have some dumb questions....What is FTC and what membrane has to be removed?  2hrs smoke with 4 hrs. additional cook time?  The mustard looks good and the apple juice after 3hrs.  Is there anything else that could be used for a rub if you do not have any?

Thanks for the help.....sorry for the dumb questions.
Vise-Gripper

Wildcat

FTC is - wrap in Foil, then in a Towel, then place in a Cooler.

The membrane is a thin (tough) membrane on the back side of the ribs.  I find it easier to remove with catfish skinning pliers.

I like using Iceman's rub but if not available I simply rub with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion and go with the rib's natural flavors.

Cook until meat starts to pull back from bone.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/