18 lb. roast advice needed

Started by cleanuphitter, December 18, 2007, 01:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleanuphitter

Hi all,

I have an 18 lb. bone-in roast I'd like to smoke for Christmas Eve dinner.  I have a marinade ready to go and will let is soak for 24 hours.

The question is, how much time should I expect for this roast to cook in the smoker?  (Medium rare)

I have probes to get an exact temp, but I'm looking for a ballpark number to work with here.

Any help would be appreciated!

-cleanup

winemakers

thats on the monsterous side.  I perhaps would consider wacking that puppy into two pieces.  I have never done one over about 8 lbs, so you are in uncharted waters for me tho.

mld

Habanero Smoker

I was in Sam's Club the other day, and saw them on display. First time I've ever seen them displayed like that. I was going to buy one so that I could get some short ribs out of it and cut i into smaller roast, but I don't have the refrigerator space at this time. In my area short ribs are usually for soups and stews - they trim them too close to the bone.

I would agree with winemaker, and divide it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cleanuphitter

After reading some other forums, I've narrowed down my questioning to 2 things:

1.  Is cooking a roast completely in the BS okay?  Seems others like to grill it after spending time in the BS.

2.  What is the rule of thumb for smoking beef in general?  (i.e. 1 lb = 1 hour?)

Oh, and thanks for the heads up on splitting the roast before smoking.

Habanero Smoker

Sorry I can't give you any times; but when I do a roast in the BS I generally take it out of the smoker 10°F - 15°F before it reaches the internal temperature then finish in a hot oven. Depending on the rub I have and the type of crust I want, the oven temperature may vary from 350°F - 425°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cleanuphitter

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 19, 2007, 02:38:41 AM
Sorry I can't give you any times; but when I do a roast in the BS I generally take it out of the smoker 10°F - 15°F before it reaches the internal temperature then finish in a hot oven. Depending on the rub I have and the type of crust I want, the oven temperature may vary from 350°F - 425°F.

Thanks, HS.  This will help me.  Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind taking it out early and putting it in a regular oven for the final 10-15 degrees?

Habanero Smoker

I like a crust on my roast, and placing it in a hot oven in the last stage gives the roast a nice outer crust and better appearance.

I
         don't
                   inhale.