Tasso ham...ready for some Cajun winter warmers (pics!)

Started by Stickbowcrafter, December 23, 2007, 08:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

Got caught up on the holiday sausages last week and figured it was time to replenish my Tasso. There's nothing like a good bowl of gumbo or jambalaya on a chilly winter day. And the only thing better than homemade gumbo or jambalaya is using your own Tasso in the recipe.

For those not familiar with Tasso, it's simply a Cajun style of preparing pork shoulder. Slice it into "steaks" or slabs, give it a quick cure rub in the fridge for a few hours, rinse off the cure, rub on some Cajun seasonings and smoke to an internal temp of around 150 degrees. Here we go:

Dry cure for 5 pounds

7 Tbl kosher salt
5 Tbl dextrose (or 3 Tbl sugar)
1 Tbl pink salt

Slice the shoulder into long steaks or slabs. For a five pound pork shoulder, try to slice it into 5 slabs. Dredge the slabs in the cure, pressing down and be sure to coat all surfaces. Shake off the excess and place in the fridge for about 4 hours.

I referenced this recipe from the book Charcuterie.

-Brian

Arcs_n_Sparks

Stickbowcrafter,

Interesting. Waiting to see the rest of this story.....

Arcs_n_Sparks

Stickbowcrafter

Remove the pork from the fridge, rinse under cold water (making sure to remove the cure completely) and pat with paper towels to dry. Tasso is covered with Cajun spices just before it is placed in the smoker.

3 Tbl ground white pepper
1.5 Tbl cayenne pepper
3 Tbl dried marjoram
3 Tbl ground allspice

This will bring some kick, but remember, Tasso is usually not eaten as is. It's made to bring some pretty complex flavors to other dishes. But, to be honest, I kind of like to munch on a piece or two. Clears the sinuses well. If you prefer milder recipes, back the cayenne down.

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

Be sure to coat all the slabs evenly and place them into a 180-200 degree smoker and apply smoke for at least 2 hours.

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

It will only take a few hours to reach an internal temperature of 150 degrees in these thinner slabs. Cube or slice according to your recipes or store whole in the fridge or freezer. Can't wait to put together some gumbo next week.

-Brian

owrstrich

o my...

that looks fabulous...

its on my list to try...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

kiyotei

that looks great.  I cook a lot of Cajun and creole foods during the winter months.  I love making Chicken Creole and Gumbo.  I don't have access to good Tasso ham:(  I add smoked bell peppers to my dishes and they add awesome flavors.  I'm gonna have to look into trying your ham recipe this winter.

KyNola

Stick,
Have about 10 pounds of tasso in the smoker as I write this.  Friends are lining up outside for their vac sealed packs of tasso.

Life is good, especially when you got gumbo!
KyNola

Gizmo

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Hey Stick, you gonna cover Gizmo's order for jambalaya?  I got a pot of gumbo that needs stirring.  Dang, that tasso turned out well.  Thanks to Stickbowcrafter and NePas.  Those boys can do some tasso.  Thanks for letting me ride on your coattails!

KyNola

NePaSmoKer

KyNola

Darn good looking tasso NePas.  Used pork loin rather than butt ???  Is that because it will be even leaner than using butt?  That would make sense to me.  Had just never considered using loin.  Think I may give it a try for my next batch.

Stickbowcrafter

Nice NePas! Although I think I'd miss the fat that renders out into the gumbo while simmering away. Mmmm.

I know, I know, this is darn near sacrilege allowing a yankee to post pictures of tasso and gumbo. Sorry, I can't help it. I love the stuff.

3 inches of fresh snow last night...20 degrees...Ahh, perfect lunch...gumbo and long grain rice... ;D

-Brian

KyNola

That'll stick to your ribs Brian!  You are right when you say gumbo is good anyway but it is better when you're putting stuff in it that you made your own self.  Did 10 lbs of tasso the other day.  Might have 2 lbs left.  It is just my wife and me so most of the tasso I gave away.  I like cooking/smoking up a bunch of stuff and then call my friends and tell them to come get some.  It's getting to the point where my friends are calling me now to see what I'm making next and when they should expect my call.  Knew I should have opted for the 6 rack BDS instead of the 4 rack!  :D

Smoke on!
KyNola