• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temp Control

Started by fmf400ex, December 31, 2007, 11:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmf400ex

Wow this is a great machine you load the bisquettes and let it ride, the only problem is temp control man is this thing touchy, granted it is only 30 degrees outside but I just used my fathers masterbuilt digital smoker last weekend and had no trouble getting it up to 200 the OBS takes forever to heat up and not to mention when you check on the meat yeah the temp will obviously drop but man 20 min or more to get back to your desired temps.  Is the digital model of bradley easier and more reliable getting the temp up fast or not?  If so should have had my girlfriend buy me that one for x-mas instead or is the extra 150 to 175 you pay for the digital worth it? I would have to say that the temp control is very dissappointing on the OBS and if I could get my money back after i used it one time to go get the digital one i would. has anyone retuned a used smoker and got full credit? i got mine at Cabala's.

Thanks

Ontrack

fm-It's just the nature of the beast. I have the digital, but if I'm not mistaken, they both have the same heating element. I don't see the digital heating up or recovering any faster than the original.

Smoking Duck

If you put a brick or two in the bottom of your smoker, it will aid in getting the heat back up quicker.  I've never had to wait twenty minutes to get back up to temp.  I usually have a max of 4-5 minutes before it's back to temp.  I also try very hard to limit the times I open the door.  Most times, I only open once to change water after the smoke is done.  If you replace the water in your pan after the smoke, replace it with hot water as this will help as well.

Also, if you haven't done so, I would purchase a Maverick ET-73.  By having a dual probe remote thermometer, you never have to open the door to check on the meat.

I've been smoking in low temps and low temps with high winds, and mine has done a great job of getting back to temp in a pretty quick manner.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

coolalta

Hi - new to the Forum and the Bradley. Used an old fridge, propane and burner from a hot water tank for years. Read the discussion on temp. fluctuation and recovery. Have used the digital smoker twice and have noticed huge differential in  smoker's displayed temperature versus set point. Eg: setpoint of 120 - display varies from 135 to high 90's. That's with door closed for more than an hour. These are the displayed temp.'s as the unit htg. element cycles on and off. You'd think with a digital control and input, should be a little tighter. I didn't time the length of cycles but did seem to take quite a while. Was smoking in Sunny Alberta that day and the outdoor temp was 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Couldn't get the displayed temp. above 157 - disappointed because we don't consider 0 degrees F that cold - we're doing all kinds of stuff outside. Did check inside temp with a thermometer - read about 6 degrees higher than displayed.
Surely someone else smokes when it's cool out - below freezing. Like to hear from you

Smoking Duck

Welcome coolalta,

You will notice some fluctuation in the temps.  I never rely on the digital temp as a guage for my smoker temp.  I always use my Maverick ET-73 to gauge what my real temp in the smoker is.  I never really worry about my temp fluctuations when smoking as long as I'm within the range that I set (usually 200-220 for most things I'm smoking).  Some folks will utilize a PID to get the tight temps on theirs.  I'm actually toying with the idea myself.

I do know there are some others on here that deal with the temps you do.  Hopefully, they'll be along shortly to help you out.  I've not smoked in less than 20F before so maybe Mr. Walleye, Iceman or some of the others who live in the frozen tundra can give you a hand.

Welcome again!  You'll love this place!

acords

I think wind is more of an enemy than cold.  I live in a cold area and have not had a real problem with temperatures.  I usually smoke in an unheated garage.  Now if I just had some acreage and some extra cash, I would probably go the same route as Iceman. ;)
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Ontrack

My wife is wanting to build a pool house this spring-small kitchen,bar, bathroom, changing room. I showed her Iceman's pics and she actually had the nerve to say NO! I just don't understand that woman... ::)

Smoking Duck

I don't understand any woman....which is why I'm personally against bigamy  ;D

You need to order too much wood, shingles, etc when you do the pool house.  Then when it's completed, just leave the excess laying in the yard until she tells you to do something with it.  At that point, she will have basically told you to build the smokehouse.

Course, you may have to sleep on the couch for a couple of days, but for something like Iceman's smokehouse, I'd sleep in the tub for a year  ;)

Mr Walleye

Hey Coolalta! Welcome aboard from another Canuck!

I agree with acords the wind is probably the worst enemy. In colder weather any breeze is far worse than it is in warmer weather. And I hear ya about the weather, I live here in Saskatchewan. I think we are the "King of the Wind"! You will find a number of people here have built small enclosures to keep and use their Bradley in. If it is kept in an un-heated area you will want to take the generator inside where it's warm for storage. I built mine into my heated garage just to keep the weather out of the equation.

Here is a thread with my current setup.....
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6075.0

If you do a search you will find a number of other enclosers people have built.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 31, 2007, 02:37:00 PM
I don't understand any woman....which is why I'm personally against bigamy  ;D

You need to order too much wood, shingles, etc when you do the pool house.  Then when it's completed, just leave the excess laying in the yard until she tells you to do something with it.  At that point, she will have basically told you to build the smokehouse.

Course, you may have to sleep on the couch for a couple of days, but for something like Iceman's smokehouse, I'd sleep in the tub for a year  ;)

That's good SD!  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Thanks Mike.  I've not been married that long (8 years yesterday) but I've learned quickly how to get around her saying no.  You just need to be a little creative.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Marc

Ontrack

Good ideas there, Duck, but after 22 years of me and my schemes, she's learned to stay a step ahead, or at least close. She may slip up every once in a while and let me get one by her, but for something this big I doubt I could pull it off.  ;)

Ontrack

Oh, also Duck, Happy Anniversary a day late and Happy New Year, too!

Smoking Duck

Thanks, Ontrack.  I talk smack about my wife all the time but the truth is I'm definitely the one better off when we got married.  She's been the better part of our marriage for 8 years now.

Ontrack

Same here, brother, same here. But it sure is fun to talk like we're in charge, ain't it! :D