Ribs kinda dry & Brisket this weekend

Started by DrunkenMick, January 02, 2008, 03:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrunkenMick

Hey guys.  There's so much information, just wanted to start off by saying thanks!!  I spent a good portion of my workday reading posts.  I think i have an addiction.

The wife got me an OBS for Christmas and i did about 4 racks of baby backs this past weekend.  They were good but somewhat dry.  I preheated to 225 degrees and used a mix of apple/hickory.  I smoked for 4 hours at 210 and FTC'd for about 2 hours.  I spray with apple juice every 45 minutes after an hour and i also added about a half cup of apple juice to FTC pouch.  Did i not smoke long enough? I was able to push a toothpick easily between the bones and an instant read temp came up at 158 after i opened FTC pouch to eat (Didn't think to check when i pulled from OBS.

Secondly I really really want to do a brisket this weekend (Soon as my Bubba Pucks and Maverick arrive).  I am going to check at the grocery store for a brisket, what should i look for?  Any advice as size/cut style?  I can't seem to find brisket anywhere. 

Thanks again!!

La Quinta

Hey DrunkenMick (love the name, by the way, being a mick myself I assume you're Irish!!) The first time I did a brisket...I did one of those cryovac'd ones and it was...well...uh...hideous! Next time we went to the butcher (if you have one around or your market does their own cutting) and it came out great. Really was a big difference. I'm sure there are others on here that may have made the cryovac ones and they came out fine? But with my limited experience...try a freash cut! Just my HO! Good luck!

DrunkenMick

Hi La Quinta, i am indeed Irish (and only drunk some of the time  ;D) 

When you did your brisket's did you get the point or flat?  I'm still confused by all these brisket parts  ???

Smoking Duck

I've always been fond of the flats but either would work.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

Wildcat

I normally get both the flat and point as they normally come that way in my neck of the woods.  Prefer the flat.  Cryovac here locally at Sam's has been fine.  Just get the highest grade possible.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

DrunkenMick

Thanks for the info!  Just got back from the local supermarket.  They had brisket.  Kinda.  (Sorry for the blurry, my camera phone kinda sucks)

I'll have to check Sams to see if they have that cryovac.  Thats how i usually get my ribs at Sams.  Was trying to avoid having to carve up the brisket myself.  What does a normal 7-8 pound brisket usually run per pound?  As you can see in that picture that measly little brisket was $4.49/lb.  Thats nuts!

Arcs_n_Sparks

I donno......

That may be an appetizer portion......   :D

Sparkler

Gizmo

I don't recall ever doing anything except a whole packer brisket in the Bradley.
For one, the price of a whole packer is usually a lot cheaper then when buying the flat and I actually like the fat cap better.  I find the fat cap to have more flavor and tends to be a little more moist than the flat not that the flats are dry.  I also don't do a true seperation of the 2 pieces when I cut a whole packer, I split the two where the thickness changes.  That results in more even cooking on both pieces.  They are done at different times but that would be the case anyway.  The fat cap part go on the shelf above the flat so it can drip down on the flat to help with that extra flavoring.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I've never seen brisket packaged like that, and at that weight. It may be they took a flat and sliced it horizontally in half, and called it "Thin Sliced". If it were me I would not attempt to smoke that piece of meat, you may come out with something dry and leathery. You would be better off braising that piece of meat.

At Sam's in my area they only sell flats and they average around 5 - 7.5 pounds each. Once in a while I will find a whole packer brisket at Price Chopper, but I do not like the point, so I never purchased another one. I like to trim the fat down to about 1/8", so for me I have to do some trimming. I think the last time I was there the briskets were around $2.49/lb. Prices are regional, but since you got your meat a Shoprite you have to be somewheres in the Northeast, so the price should be about the same.

Here is a site that give you a good idea of what to look for and how to prep it for the smoker. Keep in mind they are working with a whole brisket. While there you should check out the rest of their cooking topics.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/virtualbrisket.html

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DrunkenMick

Thanks for the insight.  I didn't buy that piece of meat, just snapped the picture at the store.  I knew a 2lb piece of brisket was a waste of my time.  I'll be heading over to Sams later this afternoon to see what their offerings are.  I'm also going to place a few calls to some local butchers that i found in the yellow pages.  I'm sure i can find a much better cut of meat at (hopefully) a better price. 

Thanks again!  I'll post some pictures once i find some meat!

LiL Smokie

Mick,
I am no expert but I got a tip to avoid dry ribs and it was to add the rub 2 hrs. before smoking.  I have not tried it yet but it may be worth a try.
Vise-Gripper

DrunkenMick

Lil Smokie:  You know i thought about that with the amount of salt in my rub.  Letting it sit overnight with the rub i was worried it'd draw too much moisture out.

DrunkenMick

Dang it!  Went to Sams on lunch today and they had no brisket either :( I'll have to find some time to track down and call a local butcher to see if i can't get something there.  I thought for sure between BJ's and Sams Club that one of them would have a cryovac'd beastie for me to smoke.

Habanero Smoker

A lot of times your local chain grocery store will have them. They are not usually on display, and you often have to ask for it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)