Smoked Chicken Enchiladas

Started by La Quinta, January 16, 2008, 05:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Hi all...hubby and I got 4.5 lbs of chicken leg quarters yesterday...here is what I'm thinkin and would love some input? I put 2.5 lbs in a stew (will post that recipe later if it comes out ok!!). But I am smoking the balance of 2 (ish) lbs of chicken now...was thinking I didn't want to buy anything from the store so went on a scavenger hunt in the pantry and found a can of chedder cheese soup...some green chillis (canned) and some black beans (canned). I also had frozen some chedder and jalapeno tortillas (that I bought a while ago). So...I have some pickled jalepenos in the fridge and some sour cream (and of course onions and peppers of various colors that need to be used) and thought enchiladas? So shred the chicken...add the jalepenos, peppers, onions and black beans...roll those little babies up...dranch them in a bath of chedder cheese soup and green chillis...bake and serve? Maybe top with some pepper jack (just for another cheese flavor)? Obviously...the sour cream would be a garnish with some scallions?
Any thoughts?

Consiglieri

sounds like a delicious experiment.
Consiglieri

La Quinta

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Consiglieri

I might skip the jalapenos in favor of salsa verde (which already has some jalaps).  Dip one side of the tortilla, wrap and bake, then drizzle more on top and top with more cheese.

Serve with ample portions of Don Julio, Sangria, and/or Cerveza mexicana fria.
Consiglieri

Consiglieri

Consiglieri

La Quinta

Mike...I know (with all of my being) that we have beer...we will (or no...I will consume beer with the enchiladas)...(Bob will do bourbon and ginger ale)!!

Consigs...I think you might be right...I know I have a can of salsa verde in the pantry...ok...ok...ok...I'm getting it...

SmokinHotMama

How was it?  Bourbon and Ginger..  That's all me!   ;)
Life is too short...  Nothing but FUN!

NePaSmoKer

KyNola

For winter I get the enchilada, for summer I have a different twist.  Take the black beans, rinse them to remove the goop they are canned in.  Dice a red onion.  Open a can of yellow corn, not cream style.  Rinse the corn.  In a bowl, combine the beans, diced red onion and the corn.  Season it with your favorite southwest seasoning.  Take that shredded smoked chicken and add it to the veg mixture.  Take one of those tortillas, put the chicken and veg mixture in the tortilla, add sour cream, cheese of your choice, jalapenos, black olives.  Roll it up until you have a wrap and enjoy.  I threw this recipe together one day when about 10 friends showed up unexpectedly after I had smoked a bunch of salmon.  Obviously I used salmon in place of the chicken but it turned out really well.

KyNola 

La Quinta

KyNola...that sounds great...we, who have access to avacados, on a regular basis, would add that too. I gotta make those! Thanks. Haven't done the enchiladas yet...am refining the recipe...but black olives (which I love) would be an awesome addition!! I love making up a recipe in a pinch too...and then you pray!! :)

KyNola

Thanks LQ.
Avocados would be a great addition.  While we can get avocados at the Kroger store, they are not close to what you have available.

Larry

La Quinta

Hey Nepas...you need to phone home...enchiladas...empanadas....tamales...fresh made tortillas and chips... man...come on dude...you need a visit!!! :)?? :)?? Perris Speedway?...(saved the best for last eh?) :)

begolf25

LQ,

Here is a recipe I use for leftover pulled pork but I am sure it would be just as good with chicken. Sure anxious to see how yours came out.

Ingredients:
2 cups onion - chopped (I also used two jalapenos from my garden to add a little kick)
½ cup of butter or margarine
4 cups of pulled pork - finely shredded
2 * 10 oz. cans of Old El Paso Enchilada Red Sauce (Mild or Hot) 
2 cups of sour cream
4 cups cheese - shredded (I used the Kraft Mexican blend)
1 * 4.5 oz. can of green chilies
1 can of pimentos - diced (I didn't add these, wife is not big on them)
10 tortillas 

Cooking Directions:
1. Sauté the onion (and jalapenos if you added them) in butter until tender, and lower the heat.
2. Stir in 1 1/2 cans of enchilada sauce, and 2 cups of the shredded cheese until melted.
3. Add in the pulled pork, green chilies, and pimento, and mix well.

Assembly Instructions:
1. Take the remaining enchilada sauce and mix with the 2 cups of sour cream.
2. Pour a portion of the sour cream/sauce mixture into the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish, and spread evenly.
3. Fill each tortilla with equal portions of the pork mixture, and roll up.
4. Arrange in the baking dish, and spoon remaining sour cream sauce over the enchiladas.
5. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
6. Bake in a pre-heated 350'F. oven 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
(Serve with additional sour cream if desired)

ENJOY!

Bryan

La Quinta

Begolf...thanks!!! Hey and if you're BE Golf shouldn't you be visiting the desert of lovely Palm Springs? :)