• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

1hp grinder from Cabelas - Sausage experience and clean up

Started by SmokinHotMama, January 22, 2008, 05:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinHotMama

Hiya Folks...  Just thought I would pop in and let you all know how our sausage making experience went over the weekend... 

As most of you know, we stepped up to the plate and bought the 1 hp grinder from Cabelas.  Can I just tell you that this machine is the best thing ever?  We had 20 lbs of pork butt ground up in literally minutes.  It took us longer to cube it to put it in the grinder than it actually took us to grind it.  After it was all ground, we mixed the spices and put it back into the grinder for the stuffing process.  It was a breeze!  The toughest part, for us newbies to sausage making, was getting the natural hog casing on the sausage tube, but even that wasn't bad.  I do have to tell you though, we had pork and sausage everywhere! We also discovered that this whole process works out alot better when the pork is really cold.  It mauvers, handles and goes through the grinder much easier.   The grinder did not skip a beat and did not jump around the counter one bit!

Now for the clean up...  I have to tell you...  I was dreading it.  ::)   It was a breeze...   :)  Everything is stainless and is dishwasher safe.  Everything comes right apart and washes up nicely.

I would highly recommend this grinder to anyone! 

As for the sausage, we made polish and jerk!  For our first time making sausage, it is FABULOUS!   ;)
Life is too short...  Nothing but FUN!

Mr Walleye

Sounds great Mama!

I have to agree about the grinder. It's kinda like my son... You can't feed it fast enough!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the report on the grinder. As far as getting the casings on the tube, I just got an email promotion from Sausage Makers, and in that email they have one or two tips. This week's email tip was how to load the casings on the tube. In the past I generally would just wet the tube and that would work for a while, but soon I would have trouble again. Their tip was to oil the tub with vegetable oil, and the casings would go on smoothly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SmokinHotMama

Ya know Habs...  That is funny that you mention that...  WE DID THAT!  It actually does works out really well...  However, when your hands are all lubed up, it is just a little "trying" to open the end of the casing and get it on there...  Those little puppies get slippy!  LOL  ::)

La Quinta

Believe it or not...we use Crisco...seems to hold on better...or just the fat in the pork works too! Just rub our hands thru the meat mixture and slather the natural fat on the stuffer...casings slide right on (most of the time anyway)!! :)

Gizmo

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

MoSmoke

Giz,   
     I think they are, at least they're practicing "Safe Sausage"
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

sherlock

SmokinHotMama

Now boys.....  Of course, it is ALWAYS "safe sausage"...  Not doing it right can certainly cause a mess....   :P 

Habanero Smoker

Thank SmokinHotMama;

Now that I know the oil will work, I'll give it a try.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

carnie1

Run some bread thru the grinder when done, Did u run the grinder parts thru the dishwasher, I did first time I used mine, blade, auger end and grinding plate rusted, Of course Cabelas gave me new ones, They have top notch customer service.

SmokinHotMama

Thanks!  Ya know what?  I just heard that from someone I was chatting with last night...  That is a great idea..  Thanks for the tip!

Mr Walleye

Carnie

What does the bread do? I'm assuming it aids in cleaning but thought I would ask.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

SmokinHotMama

Yeah, it does...  it pushes the extra sausage through the tube...  Slick idea....

sherlock

I done that also.

I don't think the cost of the the bread is any less then the meat I would loose or not. But, it is easier to clean.