PULLED PORK / BRISKET QUESTION

Started by matwell, February 03, 2008, 11:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matwell

Hello All,
I have what may be a stupid question, but I figured I would ask anyway. Is it a good idea to make a brisket and pulled pork together. Will the drippings from the other affect the flavors of each. My thinking is you have 2 different types of meat and probably 2 different types of rub, does this matter. I ask this question because I have noticed when I make ribs, pulled pork, brisket etc. the drip pan is quite messy. Thanks for any advice.

Mike   

Habanero Smoker

I have smoked both brisket and butts at the same time. I place the brisket on top, I do this because many of my friends restrict pork from their diet, so I accommodate them by making sure the pork is always on the bottom. In addition I trim the fat on both my briskets and butts to 1/8" - 1/4" thick so I may not be getting as much drippings as you will.

Another reason I place the pork on the bottom is that it is seasoned differently; I generally only put salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder on my brisket. So as you point out, there may be some transfer of flavors, but for my tastes it does not alter the final product to the point that it is noticeable. I have never smoked fish with any other meat, that is mainly because when I smoke fish I use a different smoking/cooking method.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)