• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brisket at a lower temperature

Started by Habanero Smoker, February 12, 2008, 02:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

As many of you may know, for some time I have posted my results with smoking/cooking pork butts at 200°F, and taking them out when they reached an internal temperature of 175°F. Using this method the pork pulls easily at 175°F, and I find no reason to take the internal temperature any higher.

I finally got around to testing this on a brisket. I smoked/cooked a 7 pound brisket flat at 200°F, and took it out of the smoker 9 hours latter when it reached an internal temperature of 175°F. I wrapped it in foil, gave a splash of beef broth before sealing it, and let it rest for 1 hour. I figured the worst that could happen was that I would have to rewrap it in foil and place it in the oven to cook longer.

Well I was pleasantly surprised by my first results. To test for "doneness", I took slices from the thickest part of the brisket. It sliced like a hot knife going through butter; much easier then briskets I have taken to 185°F. It was tender with a little bit of texture to it. The texture was more like chewing into steak; which I prefer to fallen apart.

Of course I will need to smoke/cook several more to see if the results are consistent. You never know, I just could have gotten my hands on a brisket that was tenderer then most, but I thought I would share this outcome with you incase others would like to experiment with this.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Thanks for this post Habs.  When I have the time for long smokes, this is how I do my briskets and butts.  The only difference for me is that I have been taking my butts to 185 or higher.  Have not attempted the 175 yet because of difficulty in maintaining 200 or below box temp.  Now that I have a PID, I will be giving it a try soon.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

3rensho

Good info as usual Habs.  I'll yank my next butt at 175 IT and see what it's like.  The butts over here run smaller than those monsters in the US and a lower IT may be advantageous.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

West Coast Kansan

A low and slow experience.  Lead out Habs!..  :)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

kiyotei

I've had just the opposite experience.  Any time I've pulled a brisket at lower temp it was not tender enough.  I wonder if it has more to do with the length of cooking vs internal temp.

Consiglieri

Quote from: kiyotei on February 13, 2008, 07:46:30 AM
I've had just the opposite experience.  Any time I've pulled a brisket at lower temp it was not tender enough.  I wonder if it has more to do with the length of cooking vs internal temp.

Maybe a function of cooking temp?  Are you cooking in the 200-210F range?
Consiglieri

Habanero Smoker

I've only done this once, but I expect the same results the next time. Time and temperature are both important. It is the length of time the meat is in the range where collagen begins to break down into gelatin, which from many resource that starts at 160°F. The key is to keep it at 200°F. As far as time goes, my brisket was probably in the smoker just as long as someone who smokes/cooks at 225°F or higher.

Since I'm pulling it out at 175°F, I trim all fat down to 1/8" - 1/4". Also because of the temperature I am pulling it out I make sure the thermometer is in the thickest part of the meat, and when it hits 175°F, I move the probe slowly in and out to see if there is a drop in temperature. If there is a drop in temperature, I position the probe at that point and continue to cook until 175°F is reached.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)