• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pecan smoked Prime Rib

Started by FLBentRider, March 09, 2008, 05:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

We put our standard Rub on a Prime rib. I gave it 2 hours of pecan smoke, then finished it in a 325 degree convection oven. It dissapeared so fast I did not get any pictures. The convection did make the pecan smoke permeate the house....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

Did you wrap with foil before placing in the oven?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

flbentrider, great job. The disappearing PR is a good feeling.

Gizmo, I am guess you wrap yours?  With a real hot oven can you get a crust on PR assuming a heavy rub to start with? I have always gone to the grill but maybe the convection circulation will do it? 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Consiglieri

cheers to the cooking success.

Now, we want  a debrief:

1.  Tell us about the seasoning and precook ritual.

2.  Tell us the cooking decisions.  Smoker, or grill, or somethhing else, or a combination of all or some.

3.  Crust: good or looking for something better?

4.  Finish internal temp: how high did you cook this bad boy?  What was the IT at carving?

5.  What would you do next time to improve?

Need to share in the experience, and best wishes for the success!  Cheers from my end.
Consiglieri

FLBentRider

I was kind of an imprompto event. We had the Roast, and I just wanted to add some smoke flavor.
(She wanted to oven roast, I wanted to smoke, so it was a compromise. I also liked the option of higher temps if needed. This dinner needed to be on the table at a set time)

Seasoned salt, seasoned pepper, Garlic powder, and 3 cloves of Garlic, cut into slivers and inserted into the meat. (which is what we would have put on it for an oven roast)

I smoked it with 1.5 hours of Pecan.

We then moved the roast to a 325 degree convection oven, set the temperature probe for 130. There was a side effect of the pecan smoke aroma being very strong in the kitchen. There were reports of minor eye irritation.

Took the roast out when the oven turned off @ 130 IT. Foil tent for 15 minutes. I did not measure the IT @ carving. willdo next time.

We thought the crust was excellent.

We added some Bacon-wrapped Sea Scallops under the broiler for about 14 minutes turning every 4 minutes.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on March 09, 2008, 09:40:55 PM
flbentrider, great job. The disappearing PR is a good feeling.

Gizmo, I am guess you wrap yours?  With a real hot oven can you get a crust on PR assuming a heavy rub to start with? I have always gone to the grill but maybe the convection circulation will do it? 

I will do the crust creation before foil wrap.

flbentrider:  That sounds like a good process.  The only difference to what I have done is I will create a crust then wrap in foil.  Double wrap in HD foil will hold that baby warm for a long time if needed.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

A trick I learned to get a good crust on a roast is to beat and egg add it to your rub to make a paste then apply it to the meat. When you finish the roast at a high temperature, you will get a nice crust.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)