Fish Soup

Started by manxman, April 03, 2008, 03:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

This recipe came from a friend of a friend of a friend etc so I can claim no credit for it! It originated in a fish restaurant in Sweden, it is delicious although personally I would add less octopus and replace with some shrimps, mussels and or scallops.

FISH SOUP

olive oil

2 large onions

5 - 6 cloves garlic chopped small

3 tomatoes quartered (skins on)

----------------------------------

cook the above until opaque and sticky

Add 2 big tablespoons of flour

Add 1 glass of white wine

one third pint of cream

1 teaspoon of herbs de provence

Add 4 medium carrots chopped large

and 1 pint of cold water

--------------------------------------------

boil until carrots are al dente

add 3 - 4 chopped potatoes and boil for another 10 mins

Add 1 desertspoon Knorr 'aromat'

or  fish boullion cube with 1 or 2 teaspoon of salt

add half a cleaned and chopped leek (large one inch pieces)

Add 1 kilo of deboned octopus (or shrimps or mussels or both)

Add half kilo white fish and boil for 2 minutes

then add half kilo salmon

boil for a further 3 - 4 mins

WHEN COOLED, THIS WILL KEEP WELL FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS IN FRIDGE
Manxman

3rensho

Thanks for the recipe.  It sounds good.  There are some very small octopus species that might go well in there instead of chunks of a normal sized critter.  They're served up as "pulpitos a la plancha"  in Barcelona.  Delicious.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

manxman

QuoteThere are some very small octopus species that might go well in there instead of chunks of a normal sized critter

That sounds like a really good idea Tom, must look out and see if any of our fishmongers have them?  :)

We do catch small octopus out in the boat but it is about the only thing I don't have the heart to kill, they are so comical looking and provide good entertainment for the kids! Always throw em back!  ;)
Manxman

tsquared

When do you put the boat in the water for the season, Manxman? I just put mine in on Sunday.
T2

manxman

QuoteWhen do you put the boat in the water for the season, Manxman? I just put mine in on Sunday.

Hi tsquared,

Hopefully about mid May, I need to get a diver to put the mooring out which should happen early May. The dreaded antifouling will be done in the next couple of weeks and the engines serviced.

However, given the weather we have been having recently things may get postponed, we have had the windiest winter I can recall for a long time!  :(

Tight lines my friend!!  ;) :D
Manxman

Kummok

Quote from: tsquared on April 08, 2008, 06:53:28 AM
When do you put the boat in the water for the season, Manxman? I just put mine in on Sunday.
T2

Does this mean no more Kings are coming up here for a while T2?!?!?   :'(   ( ;) ;D)

ManX....ThanX for the great sounding recipe!  I'm looking at an NTM boat right now that should allow me to get back out and get the fresh "critter" ingredients to give it a try. Lately, being "desperate and boatless in Homer", I've been reduced to Ptarmigan meals and smoked turkey soup...... ;)

manxman

Quoteboatless in Homer

Hi Kummock,

Judging by an article in this months "Sea Angler" which is a UK publication, being boatless in Homer is a BAD thing!  ;) :D

They had a great article on fishing around your area, and in particular the halibut. Amazing!

Good luck in your quest for a new boat Kummock.......

and I can thoroughly recommend the fish soup.  :)

Manxman

Kummok

The articles on halibut fishing here are endless and "mostly" true.....your boys would love it! Come on up!!

The boat I'm looking at right now is a Tolman, glass over wood, and has quite a reputation for our year 'round conditions. See: http://www.alaska.net/~tolmanskiffs/index.html  (Pic #6 is my next door neighbor.....his first "long" run to the fishing grounds burned around 6 US Gals for the 45 mile round trip....that's compared to 25-30 US Gals in my ex boat.... 22' Sea Sport http://www.boats.com/new-boats/seasportboats/665610/details.jsp?srh_next=true )  He has a 150 hp Honda OB and I had a 352 ci Ford V8. BIIIIIG difference at today's gas prices!

tsquared

QuoteDoes this mean no more Kings are coming up here for a while T2?!?!?   
That's the plan Kummock!! Actually I'm going to be focusing on getting some halibut for the next month or so and then switch over to Kings. That boat you're looking at sounds good. I have a 90 hp 4stroke Yamaha and it's sure easy on gas and reliable.
T2

manxman

QuoteActually I'm going to be focusing on getting some halibut for the next month or so and then switch over to Kings.

Am I jealous or what!!!!  ;) :D

QuoteThe articles on halibut fishing here are endless and "mostly" true.....your boys would love it! Come on up!!

The boat I'm looking at right now is a Tolman, glass over wood, and has quite a reputation for our year 'round conditions. See: http://www.alaska.net/~tolmanskiffs/index.html  (Pic #6 is my next door neighbor.....his first "long" run to the fishing grounds burned around 6 US Gals for the 45 mile round trip....that's compared to 25-30 US Gals in my ex boat.... 22' Sea Sport http://www.boats.com/new-boats/seasportboats/665610/details.jsp?srh_next=true )  He has a 150 hp Honda OB and I had a 352 ci Ford V8. BIIIIIG difference at today's gas prices!

I have a top three list of places I would like to fish around the world and in no particular order it is Alaska, Norway and Namibia but there are so many other opportunities as well! I just know the boys would love Alaska. Decisions decisions!  ;)

Both boats look good Kummock and I can understand that fuel consumption has a big influence on choice nowadays! I have twin Honda 50's which are not too bad but many people round here are switching to diesel as there is a concession to boaters to use "red" diesel in the same way farmers and commercial fishermen can which halves the cost of fuel overnight. Two of my friends have gone the way in the past couple of months and bought boats with Volkswagon inboard diesels.

My current boat is the same model as this:

http://www.boatsales.ie/Warrior_195_2007_206.htm
Manxman

La Quinta

Hey...I'm a US gal Kummok...don't burn us all up in one trip!!! :)

Kummok

Quote from: La Quinta on April 09, 2008, 06:25:48 PM
Hey...I'm a US gal Kummok...don't burn us all up in one trip!!! :)

Sheeeeesh, LQ.....I just filled up my F350 PSD and it was $126.....the gas stations better start setting up those little Wells Fargo bank outlets that you see in grocery stores!!  I know that these prices and our US whining makes our Euro, Asian friends laugh, given their higher prices.  :o

Manx....your boat would be right at home on our bay/offshore fishing sites.....I really like the bow structure for our sudden rough weather, looks very tight and stout, but limited bow deck could be a bit challenging for pulling anchor the way we do....a good bowsprit would remedy that challenge though!  I'll PM you with other info on Alaska fishing........

manxman

Quotebut limited bow deck could be a bit challenging for pulling anchor the way we do....

Yes, pulling an anchor isn't  the easiest but there is a window in the front of the cuddy that helps. Most fishing is done on the drift around here in any case.

Many folks use a system of anchor retrieval called anchor yanka!! Each stage is shown in the website below:

http://www.anchoryanka.com/anchor1.htm

QuoteI'll PM you with other info on Alaska fishing........

Looks forward to that.  :)
Manxman

Kummok

Yup! That's the way a lot of us do it and it has sunk more than one boat when they weren't paying attention to the tide current. Can't believe that some folks also actually use a power windlass to pull themselves down to the bottom of the sea!!  :o Lots of ways to go swimming in water that will kill you in less than 20 minutes...... :-\ :'(

I PM'd you earlier in the 'My Messages' section of this forum.............

manxman

QuoteYup! That's the way a lot of us do it and it has sunk more than one boat when they weren't paying attention to the tide current. Can't believe that some folks also actually use a power windlass to pull themselves down to the bottom of the sea!!   Lots of ways to go swimming in water that will kill you in less than 20 minutes...... 

You are so right, happened a couple of times round here within the past year or two. Fortunately on both occasions there were other boats close to pull the occupants out of the water within a couple of minutes.

One good reason to always have a sharp knife handy..... losing an anchor warp is a small price to pay!

Manxman