• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

smoke generator over heating?

Started by Toker, April 26, 2008, 03:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Hi there its the 1st time that i cold smoke with my obs only with the smoke gen. Outside its between 55-60 fahrenheit and the inside temp seems to be 123f only with the sg is it normal? oviously my smoker is outside dont see why the temp is so hi. Any idea? thx

Smoking Duck

Toker,

Did you put any ice in the cabinet?  If not, try filling the water bowl with ice as well as inside the tower.  I could see where it would reach those temps if the smoke generator were attached directly to the tower.  You might want to consider an offset box when doing a cold smoke.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Toker

it (my cold smoke box) will be ready on monday and no i didnt put ice anywhere. thx but i just wanted to know if this temp was normal with this way. (just using the smoke gen) is the smoke gen can be hot as much as 123f alone attached to the tower?

Smoking Duck

I would think that the temp generated by the smoke generator in addition to the ambient temp would be more than enough to raise the temp to that internal temp.  Sometimes, when my tower gets too high of a temp on a cold smoke, you can also certainly open the door a little to allow some heat to escape.  You'll still get plenty of smoke for the food you're smoking.

Try doing a search (search engine ain't the greatest on the site, but it'll help) on some more cold smoking tips.  Also, try finding the thread that Mr. Walleye started that shows his cold smoke set-up.  It's top notch and will help immensely.  Good luck on your cold smoke.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Toker

Yes duck i already know it but just wanted to know if my smoke gen was over heating or not at 123f on monday my box will be ready i took this guys box as model to buld mine thx.

Ontrack

Yeah, Toker, that's normal. I cold smoked some cheese last Sunday night with ice in the water bowl, 2 small baggies full of ice on the V-tray, and a gallon bag of ice on a rack. At the end of my 1:20 smoke, it was approaching 90 degrees inside the cabinet. Outdoor temps were in the low 50's.

Toker

thx now i know what i was looking for thx man.

Gizmo

I believe it is not uncommon to see box temps of 150 or more with just the smoke gen.  Will depend greatly on the outside temp.  The puck burner gets up around 500 degrees to make the wood smolder.  Been a while since I measured it so it is just an estimate.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Trust me...it is not uncommon...:) I have to load every rack except the top with ice bags...even when it's 50 here... just to keep the box temp down...to say... 80-85?

Gizmo

Yah but LQ, you don't even need a puck burner or a heating element.  Just put the puck on the sidewalk, run a hose to the cabinet and you are set.   ::)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

So... is it like, "HOT" where you live LQ?

::)  ::)  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

I have the OBS. Depending on what I have in the cabinet, on a sunny day with the sun shining on the cabinet mine will go over 185°F with just the smoke generator, on a day with 60°F ambient temperatures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

La Quinta

That was funny Giz!! Might try that in July!!!

Yeah Mike you could say it gets pretty freakin hot here in the summer (was 100 yesterday...triple digits coming early this year)...really nice in the winter tho!! :)

Toker

Ok now my question is; assuming that the smoke gen can reach such temp if i build a cold smoke set up box a side for lowers temp can i use the heating element to go this way to get 115 degre F exemple? i mean is it ok if i want to use cold smoke set up with very small amout of heat or is it dangerous fo fire with a tumble dryer hose to put additionnal heat on the cabinet?

Im asking cause id like to buy a guru with raptor for controlling my temp and using it even on summer and if the smoke gen only can reach 123f here i think ill detach it and if i need additionnal heat ill open the heat on the cabinet (if its to cold with the tumble hose but to hot with the smoke gen attached to the tower) can i do it or not? Those of you who have a raptor what you doing to keep the perfect temp so low with this unit raptor?

Sorry dont know if im clear enough...