ABT help needed

Started by Tiny Tim, May 03, 2008, 07:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

Gonna be doing up a bunch this afternoon for Dad to take to Wine Club, and have a few questions that I didn't seen answered in the recipe I printed off the Recipe Site.

First, what do ya'll recommend for wood flavor?  I have Apple, Hickory, and Oak at home now, with some Maple going home today...also have access to the rest of the flavors.

Next, how long should smoke be applied to these?

And, finally, about how hot should I set my PID for?

I'll be lookin' through the previous posts here for my answers, but any help that can be added to this one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

westexasmoker

I've got a batch to do today also, I like a Hickory and Mesquite combo about an hour or so worth of smoke (I like smoke!!!)  and cooked for about 2-2 1/2 hours at around 200-210.  Dang its early and I'm getting hungry!!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

tturaider

Ok guys im lost and or plain brain dead but what is ABT?  Sorry im at work and have been busy along with a lack of sleep.
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Arcs_n_Sparks

Well, it starts with bison grazing at the Nevada Test Site. Next thing you know, you have Atomic Buffalo Turds.  :D :D :D

There are some nice pictures on the forum regarding ABTs, or you can go here for the recipe: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25

Arcs_n_Sparks

tturaider

Hahahaha :D :D.  You know ive seen pics of those on here before but never knew what they were called.  Im gona have to try those with the brisket I just got thru smokin yesterday.....if there is any left.
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

westexasmoker

A little variation I did on my rats (ABT's) yesterday, I'm sure I'm not the first one to do this  ;D but I did the first wrap with thin sliced deli ham, sealed the end quite nicely, and then wrapped it with bacon...Yummy!!!  Seems like everytime I do a smoke, gots to have a rack of rats!!!  ;) :D!!

C

Hey Arcs are you sure it was Nevada or was it Roswell,NM..... ;D
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: westexasmoker on May 04, 2008, 10:56:14 AM
Hey Arcs are you sure it was Nevada or was it Roswell,NM..... ;D

Good question. Constant wormhole jumping confuses me. Looking in my photo album, I'm sure it's NTS...   8)

Neutron Jack

Gizmo

Langolies.  I here them comming.  Better Jump Arcs.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Gizmo on May 04, 2008, 02:34:02 PM
Langolies.  I here them comming.  Better Jump Arcs.

I thought it was the Langoliers. I'll watch for both.....   :o :o :o

Arcs_n_Sparks

Tiny Tim

Thanks for the replies.  Here's what I did.  I cleaned 'em and cut 'em in half, seeded them, and washed them again.  Then I spread some cream cheese inside each half, and stuffed a lil' smokie in each.  They were a project for Dad, so I had him do the bacon wrapping.

I set my PID for 300 degrees and let it preheat for about 3 hours before they got into the smoker.  Loaded 1:20 worth of Hickory when I put them in, and pulled them after just over an hour.  Bacon wasn't quite crispy enough for Dad (I don't eat them since I don't eat actual pieces of most vegetation), so I put them under the broiler for about 10 minutes.

He said they were pretty good, and out of 36 pieces, there were maybe 6 pieces left...don't know how big of a crowd there was.  He said they would have been better without being smoked, but I'm thinking maybe just a little less smoke, like 20-40 minutes worth instead.

Smoking Duck

I usually do mine with an hours worth of smoke at 220 and then keep them in there for another hour after that.  I like to take cream cheese and brown some italian sausage and throw them in the peno and wrap in bacon.  The beauty is you can throw anything that your heart desires and it'll taste good.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

I like chedder and hot Italian sausage myself...and same...wrap in bacon...but I like it spicey...blows my hubby's head off...(pretty funny actually!!) :)

huhwhatliar

Quote from: La Quinta on May 05, 2008, 05:14:08 PM
I like chedder and hot Italian sausage myself...and same...wrap in bacon...but I like it spicey...blows my hubby's head off...(pretty funny actually!!) :)

That sounds good. Do you use plane cheddar or smoked cheddar? 

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

La Quinta

I use plain (because you already know that)...you guys are brutal...:(

huhwhatliar

Quote from: La Quinta on May 05, 2008, 05:24:53 PM
I use plain (because you already know that)...you guys are brutal...:(

I ment to ask mild, medium or sharp? Besides you can buy smoked cheddar at the store  :P

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......