Smoked red-skinned potatoes

Started by Smoking Duck, May 09, 2008, 02:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Anyone ever try to smoke these?  I'm considering trying to smoke these whole and wondered if anyone had already tried.  I considered slicing in half but thought they may take on too much smoke so I figured why not try smoking them whole?  Would you put them into some EVOO first or just do it dry?  Also, at what temp would you smoke them?  I'm thinking around 180-200?  Anyone have any ideas at all?  After smoking, thought I'd make some home fries with onions and peppers as a side dish.

Thanks!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Wildcat

I have not done this, but I think I recall someone posting a few months back about putting potatoes in the smoker when they were doing other stuff.  I may be wrong.

If you can't find a post and if nobody else pipes up with some experience in this area, I would suggest the EVOO.  You could prepare them into the fries, smoke for about 20 minutes and then fry.  No telling how long it would take.  If you give it a try let us know.  I may give this a whirl as well.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

This too interest me, I've got some red taters I need to use.  I'm with ya on not peeling them, but maybe poking a fork all around them would let just enough smoke to the meat inside...I'm loaded up with cheese at the moment and will have to kick it up for the steaks, might throw a couple in and see what happens.  But yea, lets hear the results you get!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

Mallardwacker has several posts on smoking potatoes. You can search under his name.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Thanks Habs.....I checked the posts.  I thought he had but then couldn't find any so it wasn't until you posted that I realized I misspelled his name.

Anyways, here's what I did......I'm smoking two yard birds right now.  Set them up for 2 hours and 20 minutes of Pecan smoke.  The last 20 minutes of smoke, I threw the red skinned potatoes in (first, I coated them with EVOO and then sprinkled with garlic powder).  Only kept them in there for 20 minutes to get the hint of smoke.  They sure took the smoke real well.  Not too overpowering at all.  I think if I left them in longer, it may have been too much smoke.  After pulling them, I sliced them all anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" thick.  Took out a large cast iron skillet and melted some butter (a lot of butter actually) and they're in the pan now.  Will let you know how they turn out later.

SD

tturaider

SD im not sure which part sounds the best but finishing em by frying in butter you cant go wring with that.  :D  :D  :D
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Smoking Duck

Well, I think they turned out awesome.  In fact, they were fighting at the end to see who got the last of them.  I think the key was not too much smoke.  I think I read a post from Habs one time where too much smoke would give a potato an ashy taste and I believe he was spot on.  Anyways, it is somethink I will do again.  Next time, I think I'll add some onions to the tray when I smoke the potatoes and fry them both up together in butter. 

Hey TTU, mmmmmmmmmmmmm butter.   :D

Wildcat

This just got put on my short list - matter of fact the next time I do burgers, I plan to make the patties, put them and the taters in the smoker for 20 minutes and finish on the griddle.  Thanks for the post.  ;)

Smoking Duck

Hey, I think this is the first time one of my posts have been helpful  :o ;D

huhwhatliar

Quote from: Smoking Duck on May 11, 2008, 07:36:31 AM
Hey, I think this is the first time one of my posts have been helpful  :o ;D

Your post's of smoked cheese (LQ's not looking is she???) have been very helpful for me  ::)  ;)

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

tturaider

Ok SD....butter, onions, potatos with smoke how could it get any better???

Smoking Duck

Quote from: tturaider on May 11, 2008, 10:47:46 AM
Ok SD....butter, onions, potatos with smoke how could it get any better???

Only if my wife was serving it with nuttin' under the apron  ;) ;D

tturaider

Hell then you woludn't need the potatos!!

La Quinta

I have smoked pots and have never had too much smoke flavor...but I usually don't smoke them for any more then an hour...tops...but SD I like the idea of smoking the onions with them...made some smoked onions at my brother's in Florida and then mixed them with some red and green peppers and yellow squash...garlic butter...salt and pepper and they added just the right amount of smoke so as not to "pollute" the enitre dish...was really good.

I took two baseball sized yellow onions, cut off the top (not the root) and pressed and apple slicer on them...not quite thru to the bottom (root) so they'd open up...then put butter, salt, pepper and granulated garlic on top. Put them in a little sort of collar of foil...to catch the melted smoked butter and smoked them for an hour (I think we used hickory).

Took them out/chopped them...dumped the butter in a cast iron skillet and cooked them with the other veggies. It was a great compliment to the pork butt we did...just an idea...we just used what we had...:)

Wildcat

Thanks for the info LQ.  That sounds great and is going on my "short" to do list.  Probably when I do the taters.  :)