Smoking Bluefish

Started by bigblueh20, May 10, 2008, 05:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigblueh20

Caught a bunch of 3 lb bluefish today....Would love to smoke them tomorrow. Could someone please provide me with some guidance as to which wood, smoke time, cook time, temperature...Anything else I need to know...I have them in a Kosher Salt, Brown Sugar, Teriyaki brine....

Thanks In Advance for all of the help. Jim

Smoking Duck

Can't help ya much, blue.  I don't know much about bluefish.  What type of meat is it?  Is it a white meat or is it darker, say like a salmon or tuna?  I just about always use alder when I smoke fish.  As far as time or temp, I couldn't tell you.  If it's a darker type meat, I guess I would try doing it like Kummok does his salmon.  You can find the link as a sticky on the top of the fish page.  Hopefully, someone with some experience with bluefish will be along to help soon.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

Hey Jim
Not sure if I'll be much help not familar with bluefish, we have bluegill, cherry perch maybe same thing with a different name.  But so far most of the fish I've done quick smoke about 20 min. just enough to infuse a little flavor and then onto the grill to finish or you could go to the frying pan to finish.  As far as which wood I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them...I like a heavy smoke on everything mesquite, hickory and pecan are my aresenal of choice.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

SD...blues are a white flesh fish...not "delicate" but not firm either...kinda middle of the road (to me) in texture...boy...when the blues were running in Florida...did we have fun!!! :) You could drop a line in the water for a minute and pull up a nice bluefish...and smoked...they are awesome...

Wildcat

They are fun to catch.  We simply trolled around them when they were feeding.  Never had them smoked, just deep fried.  Pretty good taste.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Thanks LQ and Wildcat.....I kinda feel like I'm in the midst of the greatest freshwater fishery system in the US, but when it comes to saltwater, I'm like a fish out of water (pun intended)  ;D

La Quinta

We'd just stand on the beach and surf cast...good news is...gotta tan too!! Opthimologist wasn't thrilled tho!!

Smoking Duck

Sounds like fun, LQ.  I'd love to be doing that right now. 

La Quinta

Yeah SD...me too...been hotter then hell out here the last few days...was only 101 today...and hopefully going down...hell I may have to wear a sweatshirt to the Giz party!! 66 degrees...Holy crap...:)

Smoking Duck

101?  Sweet fancy moses.....I'm built more for the cold.  If I was in 101 heat, I'd have sweat on me like stink on a monkey!

La Quinta

Yeah well ya get used to it...ya get dehydrated...get to drink more beer...that's how I look at it!! :) Then the power bill comes...and ya get to drink more beer when ya open it!!! :)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: La Quinta on May 21, 2008, 07:09:28 PM
Yeah well ya get used to it...ya get dehydrated...get to drink more beer...that's how I look at it!! :) Then the power bill comes...and ya get to drink more beer when ya open it!!! :)

Ha ha ha.....

That's like me opening the natural gas bill after a month of -40 with a windchill of -50.  ::)

Our summers do get up to 80 to 90 degrees and the odd day at 100 but I'm with SD... I'm built for the cold!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Mr. Walleye I'm right with you on utility shock last winter. Glad we did the averaging thing with the utility company. I couldn't even imagine being in 100 plus temps for very long. Last trip to Houston dang near killed me. The last day or two of 60 felt just right.  :)

westexasmoker

Ya'll need to send some of that cool air down to LQ, and while your at it send some my way.  We've been running between 95-100 all week, with a steady wind about 30 mph gusting to 50...jeessh I hate summer time, thank god for A/C, and yep then the bill rolls in  :o

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

I think somebody sent the cold air down...only 81 today...feels chilly!! :) I can crab about all of it can't I??!! :) Oh well...I'm a girl...it's my perrogative!!:)