• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ham problems

Started by Hooked on smoke, May 14, 2008, 06:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooked on smoke

Just smoked my first ham. It was OK but the middle of the ham was soft and wet. Also the connedtive tissue was really tough. Brined for 6 days, dried for 12 hrs. Smoked at 170 to 180 for 14 hrs till internal was 152. Any ideas? Opps I also injected with brine at 10% of green weight.

Tiny Tim

I am certainly no expert at this, but I'm thinking the ham didn't get fully cured.

Hooked on smoke

The meat was nice and pink, and plenty salty. The injection should have helped in this area also.

Just looking for possible causes, not making excuses.

Smoking Duck

Did you check the internal temp at different areas throughout?  Sounds to me like it wasn't fully cooked.  However, there are those with much greater experience than I at hams that will be around sooner or later to help you get a handle on your ham.

By the way, welcome to the site, Hooked.  You'll really enjoy it here.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Hooked on smoke

Thanks Smoking Duck. I have been reading the forum for quite a while, and it was a great help. I finally joined. I only checked the part I thought was the thickest.

Smoking Duck

I'm not sure if I'm right or not, Hooked.  I've only done one ham but when I have a good sized piece of meat in the smoker, I like to check different spots.....you never know if you've put the probe into a fat pocket, or whatever.  Plus, I like to poke around on things  ;D

Tiny Tim

Hey, leave your wife outta this.

Sorry...I'll go back to my corner now...carry on. :D

Smoking Duck

I was ................. :o ;D

Habanero Smoker

I could be your thermometer placement. What cut was it, whole, the shank or the rump (sirloin end)? If you did a whole ham the rump section has the most connective tissue, and will be tougher then the shank end. If you don't think it was the thermometer placement, try taking it to 155-160°F.

When you injected, did you concentrate the injections close to the bone, and did you also inject through the shank; assuming you smoke the shank; if not inject through the front and rear. When I inject I inject through the front of the ham near and around the bone from both the front and back end. Then work my way through the sides.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tturaider

Ok this is totaly off of the subject here but Ive always taken care of the meat (bird and ham) around christmas and thanksgiving and always baked my hams.  Ive done a few shanks and more butts and ive always thought the shanks turned out better than the butts (jucier & tenderer) eventhough the shanks are a cheaper cut. Habs you have just confirmed as to why I always thought the shanks were better!!!  ;D  Your knowledge just blows me out of the water.  Thanks!!!

Hooked welcome....you will be amazed what you can learn from the many pros on this site.
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Hooked on smoke

Thanks all

I think I will smoke lower and a lot longer next time. It was a hole ham with shank cut off, I think it was pretty well injected, guess I was in a hurry, ( I really wanted to get some sleep ) it will be awhile before I do another ham, will let you know how that comes out. Time for some wieners and bacon.

Phone Guy

I would tend to agree with the others here. I'm thinking the connective tissues start breaking down at about 156 deg. I might be off on this but..... When I am smoking butts I know that when the temp gets to 156 or 157 it actually stays there for quite a while. This is the time everything is breaking down. Anyone feel free to correct me on this if I'm incorrect.

Mike

West Coast Sausage Maker

Hello Hooked. I've smoked all kinds of hams over the years.

Everything you did sounds right. I've smoked whole hams in the Bradley on many occasions.
Smoking and fully cooking a ham (152 deg f internal) will take 20 - 24 hours with the smoker set at 180-200
you want to do a low temp, long time process for big hams .

You don't necessarily eat the ham right out of the smoker. Commercially hams are cooked / smoked to the minimum temp 152 deg. The minute you hit this temp internally you must chill the ham  right away.  (to minimize moisture loss and salty taste)

The ham is then cooked in the oven at a future time and date .

Roasting the ham in the oven will eliminate the soft centre you've experienced.

here's some I did last week

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 14, 2008, 01:59:41 PM
concentrate the injections close to the bone, and did you also inject through the shank; assuming you smoke the shank; if not inject through the front and rear. When I inject I inject through the front of the ham near and around the bone from both the front and back end. Then work my way through the sides.

Thanks Habs....... Is that out of the "HAMasutra" manual??????
soylent green is people

Hooked on smoke

Thanks TBS. Those are some nice looking hams and one heck of a smoker. My ham tasted fine if fried just a little, so your baking idea would most likley work, or phone guys suggestion to go closer to 160 internal, but that might dry the out side too much. What is the time and temperature to finish ham off in oven, wrapped in foil?

Phone Guy

Quote from: Hooked on smoke on May 21, 2008, 05:18:56 AM
Thanks TBS. Those are some nice looking hams and one heck of a smoker. My ham tasted fine if fried just a little, so your baking idea would most likley work, or phone guys suggestion to go closer to 160 internal, but that might dry the out side too much. What is the time and temperature to finish ham off in oven, wrapped in foil?

I wouldn't suggest taking a ham to 160. I was commenting on the breaking down of connective tissues when I smoke butts for pulled pork.
I am not a ham expert... I have done plenty of bacon and I take that to 140 internal.