Flavored Crackers

Started by tturaider, May 16, 2008, 09:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tturaider

Ive done these crackers for a while now and have a hard time putting them down once I start eating them.  This may be a recipe that you all do now but I decided to put it up anyways.

All measurements are approx

2 packages of saltines
olive oil 1/4 cup
1/2 package of ranch dressing mix
1/2 tsp season salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic

combine all in a gallon plastic bag and shake untill all crackers are coated well.  If needed you can add more crackers, oil, seasons till you get them all coated evenly.  Once again you can add any spices that you want the only thing that is a constant for me is the ranch dressing mix.  Over time the crackers will soak up all of the oil and seasons.  I just continually shake and turn the bag everytime I walk by it.  The longer they smoke the better they are.

Now if I only had some smoked cheese to put on them ???  :-[
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Habanero Smoker

This looks interesting. What is the texture of the crackers after soaking in the oil. It looks as if they still remain crisp.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tturaider

Habs the texture of the crackers do remain crisp as long as you dont use too much oil.  You just need to have enuff oil to coat the outside of the crackers.  They will eventually soak in the oil....thus the reason the longer they set the better they are.  I know they sound odd but I cant keep enuff of em when I make em at the station.
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

La Quinta

So tt...just so I understand...you oil and season the crackers (for how long? Meaning usually how long does it take to for the crackers soak up the oil and spices?) and then put them in the smoker...with any particular kind of wood? For an hour? Two? Sorry...maybe I'm being ditzy here? Help? Sounds good...

La Quinta

Or maybe you meant "the longer they SOAK (versus "smoke") the better they are?"??? 

pensrock

I do pretty much the same recipe only using cheap pretzels and the little oyster crackers. If you want I can dig out my recipe and post it, one note though, I normally make mine pretty spicy. And if you get the oil to cracker/pretzel ratio right they are not greasy at all and the best part is you do not need to put them in the oven like many recipes call for.
pensrock

La Quinta

So Pens...they are NOT smoked? But baked if you like?

Chickenfarmers Wife

My kids love these! 

I make my own Ranch mix (I also use it on popcorn)  It is easy and makes a bunch.

15 saltine crackers
1 cup dry parsley
1/2 cup dry onions
2 Tablespoons thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Whirl in blender until crumbs are very small. Store in an airtight container. It will keep for 1 year.

~Jana~

Gizmo

Ranch, This is a must do!!  Thanks CFW.  I was actually just looking on the internet Sunday night for a recipe for Ranch Mix.  I love the version for popcorn but the package Ranch Mix for dip is not light enough for popcorn.  Are the slatines part of the ranch mix or just what will be consumed with the ranch flavoring? 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

pensrock

LQ, not either smoked or baked, however I do use my own chipoltes in the seasonings. When the ingredients are in the plactic ziplock bag you just keep turning them till the bag looks dry, it normally takes less than an hour. I just keep rolling the bag around while watching TV or something.

Chickenfarmers Wife

Quote from: Gizmo on May 21, 2008, 08:04:17 PM
Ranch, This is a must do!!  Thanks CFW.  I was actually just looking on the internet Sunday night for a recipe for Ranch Mix.  I love the version for popcorn but the package Ranch Mix for dip is not light enough for popcorn.  Are the slatines part of the ranch mix or just what will be consumed with the ranch flavoring? 

The saltines are actually blended with the rest of the spices.  I used my food processor to buzz it all up.  Then I vac sealed it in a mason jar.  I took a smaller jar and popped holes in the lid with a hammer and nail to make a 'shaker'. 
~Jana~

Lefty_Smoker

My mom used to make this recipe for me and my brother when we were kids, only she would use oyster crackers instead of saltines.  Either way, I'm definately going to give it a try. 

Thanks for jogging my memory! 

pensrock

Here's my recipe for snack crackers or pretzels. Enjoy experimenting with any mixture of spices.  ;D ;D
For a change use oyster crackers instead of pretzels. (I like the pretzels best myself.)  :D
pensrock

Recipe
Easy Tasty Pretzels or
Oyster Crackers

Ingredients:

Spicy Flavored
One Pound bag of cheap pretzels - Real hard pretzels do not work.
6 ozs. Oil of your choice. - I used Canola
1/2 package of Ranch mix
1 TBL. Ground Chipotle pepper   
1 TBL. Molly McButter - Or Butter Buds
1 TBL. Northwood's Fire Seasoning - From Penseys Spices or try Cajun seasoning, or add some cayenne.
1 tsp. Fresh ground black or white pepper
http://www.penzeys.com

NOTE: You should be able to use any mixture of spices you prefer, just keep the quantities the same.   
Chili powder, Italian seasoning, garlic or onion salt. Whatever sounds good give it a try!

Pizza Flavored
One Pound bag of cheap pretzels - Real hard pretzels do not work.
6 ozs. Oil of your choice. - I used Canola
1/2 package of Ranch mix
1 TBL. Mrs., Dash Italian   
1 TBL. Molly McButter - Or Butter Buds
1-1/2 TBL. Finely grated Parmesan   
1 tsp. Fresh ground black or white pepper   

Directions:

Mix spices into the oil.
Put pretzels into a large zip-lock plastic bag.
Pour oil mixture over pretzels and zip.
Start mixing pretzels in bag for 20 – 30 minutes or till the bag looks dry.
Eat only one! ............. If you can............. I dare you!

La Quinta

Molly McButter?...Pens...Pens...I think we're getting a peek into your feminine side!!! :) Very sweet!!!  :) (I am truly laughing right now!!!) Sorry...sounds great....he...he...he...:)

pensrock

LQ, really it is a powdered butter flavoring.  ::)

'Speaking in a very manly deep voice'
Nothing feminine here!!!

LOL Well I'm glad you had a good laugh. I'll have to find a link online just to prove to everyone that Molly McB is a real product.  :)