• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Alrighty, give me your best...

Started by Chickenfarmers Wife, May 21, 2008, 11:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chickenfarmers Wife

Summer sausage tips/recipe, pretty please!   ;D

I have some venison I'd like to make into summer sausage.  I've searched this forum and the recipe forum, but wanted to know if there were any tips or advice I should follow.  Somewhere I thought I read that someone used Jaeger's Beef Stick recipe for summer sausage, will that work ok?

Also, what is powdered dextrose and where can I get it? 
~Jana~

Chickenfarmers Wife

ok... it is mixed, stuffed and ready to go in...

which wood??????
~Jana~

La Quinta

ChickenWife...wish I could help...but never done summer sausage...(especially venison) but can imagine it could take a sturdy wood...like hickory...depends on the flavor you like...maple and pecan are great but might not stand up to venison?? Do you put them in some sort of casing? Or no...

Wildcat

Never done the sausage thing myself, but mesquete and hickory are both good on bambi.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Holy cow! Your fast CFW!  ;)

For most of my sausage I use hickory, but that is just my preference. I usually smoke it for around 2 hours to 2 hours and 40 minutes depending on my "mood"!

Good luck & keep us posted.

Mike

PS
What recipe did you use?

Also, if you don't already have it, a great book to buy (considered the sausage bible by many) is "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas"

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

When i make any kind of sausage i mix everything together, place it in a plastic container in the fridge and let sit for a couple of days for it all to marry. Take it out and stuff into casings being careful not to over work the meat and make the fat start to render out.

As far as wood i use hickory.

Here is powdered dextrose. I get mine local.

You can get it here at the links below.

http://www.eldonsausage.com/

http://www.alliedkenco.com

Hope this helps

nepas

La Quinta

I wondered when you would leap into this one NePa!! :)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on May 21, 2008, 03:51:17 PM
I wondered when you would leap into this one NePa!! :)

At my age i quit leaping  ;D

nepas

Chickenfarmers Wife

Thanks!

How do I check the internal temp?  Just stick the probe in the end? 
~Jana~

La Quinta

Yeah...I'm sure there are a few guys who will jump on this one...but yeah...you'd want to get the probe in the fattest part of the meat... so push it all the way into the middle and that's where you should check the temp...doesn't really matter what you're cooking...same priciple applies...(dear god help us all)...girl lemme tell ya...that is a loaded question on this forum so...choose your diction carefully...these guys will pounce at any moment!!! :)!! :)!! I'm kidding...nice men and nice gals on here...glad to have another gal on board...

LQ

Smoking Duck

I, remain, giggling like a schoolgirl.......(she said probe  ;D)

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

Duck...Duck...Duck...I thought you were gonna make an effort not to try my patience? She's a newbie and...no doubt will come out swinging at any moment...I can't wait!!! :) heh...heh...heh...go ahead ChickenWife...whack him!! :)

Smoking Duck

C'mon Q.  I thought I did good.....there were so many different things I wanted to say but I held back on as much as I could.   ;D

By the way, she's not the wife of a chicken.  Go ahead Mrs. Chicken Farmer, whack her  ;D ;D ;D

Chickenfarmers Wife

Oh I knew it was a loaded question.  It would have taken a lot of restraint for the ChickenFarmer to not respond in the same manner... with his best Beavis and Butthead voice.

We are at 140 degrees IT at the moment.  I can't wait! 

Funny though, how the neighbors come around more when the smoker is goin'.  Sunday when we did the pulled pork it was like a magnet. 
~Jana~

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Chickenfarmers Wife on May 21, 2008, 07:21:53 PM
Oh I knew it was a loaded question.  It would have taken a lot of restraint for the ChickenFarmer to not respond in the same manner... with his best Beavis and Butthead voice.

We are at 140 degrees IT at the moment.  I can't wait! 

Funny though, how the neighbors come around more when the smoker is goin'.  Sunday when we did the pulled pork it was like a magnet. 

I think I would get along great with your husband!

Yea, it's funny how smoking meat makes you really popular.  I have one neighbor (who isn't very neighbourly) that I think I only talked to once in the two years before I had the Bradley.  Funny how often he times his appearances now to coincide with a smoke I'm doing at that moment  ;D.  But, life is all about the people and if that's what it took him to be friendly then I'm okay with it.