Where did I go wrong?

Started by Vaison, May 25, 2008, 03:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carter

Hi Vaison,

I read your post a couple of times.  I noticed that you wrote "The ribs tasted delicious" and then followed up with "but they were not fall of the bone".

I've really enjoyed making ribs in my Bradley.  Like the group says, every batch is different.  Definitely the quality of meat is important, but I also think we tend to get caught up in this "fall off the bone" issue.

I slow cooked some ribs in the crock pot over the winter and they were fall off the bone.  However they didn't hold a candle to the the flavour of the ribs I made last week in the smoker that required a small amount of rip and tear.

Sometimes I think that's the best part.  You pick up your rib, you knaw on it and get your face, hands, and possibly your clothes all covered with sticky BBQ sauce.  If they're too fall off the bone, then you can use a knife and fork (boorringg).

If they tasted delicious, then it's a winner.

Carter

P.S.  Of course I'm full of it.  Ribs are like a dangling carrot.  The minute you finish one batch you're trying to figure out how to make them better.  Addictive little things.

icerat4

when your done with 4-5 hours smoke.apple juice them up wrap them in foil pan and foil the top of the pan and stick them in over at 195-200 max for a few hours that will help .they will be fall off then .

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Vaison

I think I am ready for another go this weekend.  Between this site and amazingribs.com - I should have everything I need.  Thanks all!

Vaison

Now that is what I'm talkin' about!  I went back to Sam's Club and bought another "packers" cut of ribs - 3 total.  Cut them to separate the rib tips / brisket area from the St. Louis cut (not as easy as I thought it would be but the guide on amazingribs.com was very helpful).  Seasoned with iceman's basic rub and put them in the fridge overnight.  This time, I smoked for 2 hours using apple / mesquite and 2 more hours in the BDS.  I took them to the grill, put on some moppin' sauce to caramelize it and then put each in foil with some apple juice.  2 more hours in the oven and then FTC for another 2 hours.  The taste was incredible and I was able to pull the bones right out of the side of each rib with ease.  I look forward to trying new rubs / sauces / smoke combos in the future and hopefully I can find some St. Louis cut ribs so I don't have to do it myself.  Thanks for all of your help!

Consiglieri

Nice!  Glad your project worked out as planned.  Wish I had some now; don't see an opportunity to smoke ribs anytime in the next few weeks.    :(

Any pictures?
Consiglieri

Wildcat

Nicely done!  ;)  Makes me want to go and buy some ribs and give your method a shot.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Vaison

Sorry, no photos.  I considered taking a few while I was pretending to be a butcher and cutting the meat, but I got a little busy fending off 3 dogs who wanted raw meat.  I have a 9 lb. brisket in the freezer in the garage that is my next project.  I will take photos of that.