Where did I go wrong?

Started by Vaison, May 25, 2008, 03:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaison

Since my first attempt at ribs last summer when poorly, I chose to read a little bit of the forum to find a strategy proven to work for others.  I followed the guidelines from Iceman's ribs posting as best as I could (link I followed is here)

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4290.0

The ribs tasted delicious, however, they were not exactly "falling off the bone" and were semi-tough compared to a lot of ribs I have had in the past.  I am looking to have ribs that nearly fall apart once picked up.  So, I go back and I try to figure out what went wrong.  Perhaps someone will see my mistake and help me for the next time (which will be at a party I am hosting so I am out of practice runs).

Bought pork ribs from Sam's Club.
Removed the membrane.
Made Iceman's "starting rub" minus the paprika and applied to the meat.
Sealed and stuck in the fridge overnight.
Because the ribs were too long to place in there as two long pieces, I cut each in half making 4 slabs.
Preheated my Bradley digital smoker to 230F and filled the bowl 3/4 with water.
Inserted ribs, bone side down, one on each rack and turned on smoke for 1:15.
Once the smoke was done, I sprayed on apple juice every 45 mins for the next 4:45 mins - total cook time 6 hours.
The water was nearly gone at the end of the cooking.
FTC for 2 hours.
Removed and placed on the grill, added BBQ sauce and heated each side for about 2 mins.
Served and was disappointed in the tenderness.

Please help if you see somewhere I need to adjust my method so I can attain both tasty and tender ribs.  Thanks for any and all assistance!

Gizmo

If you still have some left, put the ribs in a foil pouch with 3 table spoons of liquid (apple juice, jack daniels, or water), put in the oven at 325 for 60 minutes or so.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

I see Gizmo beat me to suggestion #1.

I did 3 racks from Sams last weekend. One of the racks was "fall apart good" , the other ok, and the third was borderline, perhaps some would say tough.

Sometimes I think it is the Pigs fault.

When I got 6 racks of baby backs from the Butcher, ($6.99/lb) they were all "fall apart good" ((Mothers day special request))

Perhaps instead of time, use the "bone wiggle" test to see if they are "done" and be prepared for some racks to be done sooner than others.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr.mike

This happens sometimes. Try  a mustard slather before you apply rub next time for a little extra insurance. When I test for doneness I pick up one side,and if they almost split in the middle ,there done. Hope this helps.

Smoking Duck

Gotta agree with all of the above.  Sometimes, you can do everything right and it's just the ribs fault.  Course, you can do things to it to make up for it at the end, but it may not be you but rather the pig.

Keep at it, don't be discouraged.........many here will tell you that ribs can be the toughest smoke to do.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Vaison

So I am guessing there is no true perfect time to cook.  I should just keep them going until they cook themselves tender?  What is the longest you have had to cook ribs?  Mine were on for 6 hours.

I have one rack leftover from last night, so I will do the foil/juice in the oven thing.  Thanks for that tip since I wasn't exactly excited about eating yesterday's ribs until hearing what to do.

FLBentRider

Ribs are one of the harder things to get right in the Bradley. I have been experimenting with applying the smoke in the bradley and finishing in the oven.

It really depends on how meaty the ribs are and the amount of connective tissue. Six hours seems like plently, but the seventh might have done it. Did you check the internal temperature of the meat before you took it out of the smoker?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Ribs like brisket, is a fickle thing..almost seems they come out different everytime even though you might cook the same.  Its all about the cut!  I don't usually do pork ribs, we do the beef thing in our house.  But hit them in the smoker (with mesquite of course  ;D) just till the meat is starting to pull back from the bone and then into the slow cooker on low for 3-5 hours and the bone will slide right out, which I must say upsets my dogs a little, but holy moly that meat is tender!  As already stated just keep a trying and you'll nail it!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

KyNola

Vaison,
First off, welcome to the forum.  You already have all the info you need here but that's never stopped me before! :D  I'm with everyone else, I too, am blaming it on the pig or at the very least the cut of rib.  Baby backs vs. St. Louis style cut, big big difference in how they turn out in my opinion.  This can begin a whole debate but I think St. Louis style cut is a more flavorful moist rib.

KyNola

Vaison

Okay, I am torn about what I will do next time...to keep the meat in the smoker until they fall apart - or - to bring them inside earlier and put them in a slow cooker / oven.  What exactly will the difference be if I stick them in the house oven compared to leaving them in the Bradley?  I can see how the crock pot will make them tender since I have cooked many a roast in them, but should I also add a lot of sauce to the pot?

I just put the leftover slab of ribs in the house oven, wrapped in foil with some more apple juice inside.  I hope this does the trick!

FLBentRider

After the smoke generator is done doing its job, the bradley is just an oven. Not a lot of difference from most home ovens. Some people here just use the bradley to apply thhe smoke, then transfer to the oven. I have done this, depending on what (else) the oven is doing. The good part is that you can try it next time and see what happens, and (even) if you don't like it as much, it will still probably be good.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Vaison

Well, I put the leftover slab in the oven for about 80 minutes and the ribs were they way I wanted them from the start.  Perhaps wrapping them in the foil at a higher temp was the difference? 

FLBentRider

Most likely. Alot of folks finish their ribs on a grill or at a higher temp. I don't unless you count a couple of minutes under the broiler to carmelize the sauce.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

Quote from: Vaison on May 26, 2008, 07:15:20 PM
Well, I put the leftover slab in the oven for about 80 minutes and the ribs were they way I wanted them from the start.  Perhaps wrapping them in the foil at a higher temp was the difference? 

Yup.   :D  :D  :D
Been doing the foil in the oven for many years.  Has never let me down.  ;)
The method I posted above is what I learned from a package of Lloyd's Ribs back before I knew how to cook them from scratch.  Th foil and liquid was for their "Restaurant Finish" method of heating.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

Sometimes the ribs need longer than others.   I think there's more art than science to cooking them.  I try to focus more on traits I can observe in the ribs than cooking time.  I think the time factor is like an ante: it's the start, but not the finish of the hand.  I can't tell from your post if the actual box temp was 230, or the temp setting was 230; box temp can differ quite a bit from the digital temp setting in the earlier stages.  If you're actually cooking at 230, I might lower your cooking temp to 210 to 220F (in the Bradley, this range seems to work better, although in a fuel smoker I target 230).  Here's some factors I look for in determining whether ribs are done:  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5631.msg52971#msg52971

Sorry this round didn't go like you'd like, but that just gives you a reason to try again this weekend.  I'll bring an appetizer...
Consiglieri