What does FTC mean when smoking brisket

Started by jaylrog, June 10, 2008, 11:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaylrog

I keep seeing the acronym FTC when referring to brisket smoking. Can someone let me know what that means. newbie here. Thanks in advance.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Welcome aboard jaylrog

Lots of cool stuff to learn, and share, on the forum!  Enjoy!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

jaylrog

Sweet thanks for the info guys. Ill be trying it out this weekend. 2 weeks ago I made a pork butt, cooked it at 200 for 18 hours and it just feel apart and was so moist, hopefully ill get the same results here although I see alot of poeple that werent very successful the first couple stabs at a brisket.

kiyotei

you sound like you have the patiences to do a brisket if you are able to smoke a pork shoulder for 18 hours.  I recommend taking a fork and stabbing thru the fat cap into the meat.  then as the brisket smokes the fat will melt and help flavor and moisten the brisket.  I recommend smoke for at least 5 hours.  Then of course cook till you hit about 190 or higher to get a nice tender brisket.  A simple test is to simply insert the thermometer into the brisket.  If you don't feel any resistance its done.  If you have to push with any force then its not ready.  I usually finish my briskets in the oven after hitting it with smoke.  I wrap it in foil.  I stick the thermometer thru the foil to test and usually it feels like there is nothing inside the foil.  That's how I know its done.

jaylrog