Kummoks' Salmon question

Started by bigredsmoker, June 17, 2008, 03:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredsmoker

I could not find any skin on Salmon and was wonderin if I have to do anything special when using the skinless variety. Is just spraying the racks with oil enough to keep them from sticking and falling apart? Thanks!  Terry

Gizmo

Quote from: bigredsmoker on June 17, 2008, 03:18:29 PM
Is just spaying the racks with oil

No I won't go there.

The skin will help retain some moisture.  You can certainly produce a good product without as well.  If you have some good jerky screens, that will help prevent the sticking.  Smaller hole size will also help from having the salmon break apart on you.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

pensrock

All the king salmon I get are skinless. I spray the jerky racks with peel-eze and smoke away. Have had a couple stick slightly but not a problem. Also I keep the smaller pieces at the top of the tower and rotate the bottom racks from time to time. They have all come out great.

Habanero Smoker

Most of the time I can only get skinless salmon. I now have jerky screens that help, but in the past I use to do what Pensrock does, and it worked fine. Removing the fish from the racks as soon as they come out of the smoker helps. Also I recall one member used to line the bottom of his trays with thinly sliced lemons and place the salmon on top of them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kummok

I don't do skin-on salmon anymore...in fact, I process all my salmon as skinless and boneless steaks and use these for grilling and/or smoking. The smoking meat gets cut up into bitesize pieces before smoking. Takes longer to process but the end result is sooooo much better.

As concerns sticking, I use Pam on my "sorta" non-stick coated jerky racks and have "okay" results  :-\   I like the mesh stuff that 'huhwhatliar' provided a link to ( http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1545 ) ... my good smoking buddy up here started using it with superior results about a year or so ago and I'll be using it as soon as I get off my duff and order some.....

bigredsmoker

Quote from: Kummok on June 18, 2008, 05:42:01 AM
The smoking meat gets cut up into bitesize pieces before smoking. Takes longer to process but the end result is sooooo much better.
/quote]

So you don't smoke your Salmon in strips anymore? Do you cut them in the strips at .5 inch and then cube them from there? I would love to see some pics if you have any. Also, do you brine and then cut up further or do you cut them up after brine?

I think this time I will spray my Bradley "Jerkey racks" with Pam and hope for the best. May try to go to Cabelas and see if they have any Jerky screens if tme permits.

Kummok

Anymore, all my salmon gets whacked up the same way....1.25" skinless/boneless steaks, vac sealed & frozen in 1 lb meal sizes. Makes them universally usable/predictable across the cooking spectrum. When I'm ready to smoke, these steaks get reduced to roughly 3/4"-1" chunks then dumped into the brine. I'll get some pics, next smoke, for posting.

bigredsmoker

Thanks Kummok! Just put my salmon in the smoker for my weekend catering job. I like the idea of the bite sized chunks for smoking.

Kummok

I call this thinking my "cupcake tops" methodology.....you know those shallow little pans that make just the best/most flavorful part of the cupcake, (the top)?!?!?! By cutting the salmon into this size, you get more of the flavorful sweet & smoky "outside" in each bite. Plus, being skinless/boneless/bitesize, your guests appreciate the lack of mess when eating....that means you'll have to make more because it's eaten faster, but hey!, isn't that what it's all about....smilin' faces with mouths too full to say anything but "MmmmMmmmm"!! ;)

I'd say "good luck" for your upcoming event, but I doubt, looking at your menu, that you'll need luck...what you're gonna need is a booking agent when word gets out!  8)