Trout in portions

Started by whitetailfan, December 07, 2004, 05:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

Hey all,
I've been checking the back archives but I just can't find quite what I'm looking for.
I have some frozen lake trout I got from the in-laws (sorry, don't know how big right now - still have to look).
I'd like to smoke them in such a manner that I could cut it up (before or after does not matter to me) and provide a sample in the Christmas baskets I'm smoking this year.

I general, I suppose I'm looking for a fillet technique that would be fully cooked or cured properly so that it could be given away.  Hot or cold smoked?  Brined - wet or dry?  Jerky dry?

Basically I have no current course of action that I want to follow, I'm totally open to any and all opinions.

Thanks in advance.[8D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

whitetailfan

Well unfortunately no one came up with any suggestions on how to smoke it, so now I'm looking for ideas on what to do with the already smoked product.

There were four lake trout of various sizes.  I did a kosher salt brine for 4 hours, and then smoked the fish whole.  Once finished, I peeled off the skin and deboned the meat into chunks and flakes.

I found a recipe on the net for a smoked trout spread/paste for crakers or dip.  I have a whole lot of fish that I think is too much for this project.  Does anyone have any other ideas or projects that would use already cooked fish?

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

tsquared

Hey WTF--I missed your original post about smoking methods, sorry about that. A couple of ways to use hotsmoked fish are to add a lb or so  to your favourite potato salad recipe--that has always been a hit at our place.

Another way to use it is make what we call a Russian salad. 1lb of hot smoked fish, 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 tbs. green onion, chopped, fresh ground pepper, 1/2 tsp celery salt, 2 tsp. chopped parsley, lettuce leaves.
Break fish into bite size pieces and add sour cream, onion, celery salt and parsely; season with peppe. Serve in lettuce cups.

Finally, hot smoked fish is great in stuffed baked potatoes.
3/4 lb fish
6 baking spuds
1/2 cup hot milk
1 egg beaten
1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted
Bake potatoes, cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out potato.
Mash potato, add hot milk and beat.
Flake and mash fish and add it, parsley and onion to potato mixture.
Beat egg and seasonings together and combine with potato mixture.
Heap mixture into potato shells.
Mix crumbs with butter and sprinkle over potatoes.
Bake 20 minutes at 350 F or until browned.

PS Did you reduce the Southern Alberta population of deer this year?