New Bradley Original-Turkey Question

Started by pop_rivit, July 02, 2008, 07:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pop_rivit

Hello,
I should receive my new Bradly Original today and would like to try a turkey on Friday.  I've never smoked anything before so I'm really a newbie at this.

As a beginner I'd like to keep it simple.  The turkey is a store purchased frozen (now thawed) and is about 10 pounds.  What would you recommend as far as cooking time, temperature and perhaps a simple rub?  I'll use a meat thermometer to make sure it's at least 165 degrees but would prefer not opening the door any more often than I have to.

I do see a remote thermometer in my future but for now will have to rely on the old fashioned type.

Thanks for your advice!

deb415611

Welcome pop_rivit,

I haven't done a turkey yet but I'm sure someone with experience will be along soon.

KyNola posted a rub the other day that is supposed to be good with chicken so is probably good with turkey as well (I haven't tried it yet).  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7493.0;topicseen

Also,  there are some rub recipes over at the recipe site   http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180 as well as other good looking recipes.   

Deb

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum pop_rivit

I'm with Deb, I've yet to do a whole turkey, but I would guess to say about 10-12 hours @ 210-220 main thing with your fowl is hitting that IT.

As far as rubs go, if ya wanna go real simple, McCormick makes some really good stuff that you don't have to mix up.  I use them when I run out of my old stand by.  Also I like to do an injection with most of my birds, that and or a good brine!  Someone will be along, with more brains than I!  Good Luck!

C

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum pop_rivit!

If you have time, I would brine it. I use this brine:

1 gallon hot water
1 pound kosher salt
2 quarts vegetable broth
1 pound honey
1 (7-pound) bag of ice

Combine the hot water and the salt in a 54-quart cooler. Stir until the salt dissolves. Stir in the vegetable broth and the honey. Add the ice and stir. Place the turkey in the brine, breast side up, and cover with cooler lid.. Brine overnight, up to 12 hours.

Then I rub spices under the skin and smoke @250 with Apple, maple, or Hickory no more that 4 hours of smoke. About 5 hours later (depending on how big the bird is) to reach the 165 IT.

I would _not_ make stuffing inside the bird.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

aha638

Looking back in my records, I did a 15 lb turkey in about 9 hours and a 13 lb in a little over 6 hours.

Al

pop_rivit

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 02, 2008, 07:36:01 AM
W E L C O M E to the forum pop_rivit!

If you have time, I would brine it. I use this brine:

1 gallon hot water
1 pound kosher salt
2 quarts vegetable broth
1 pound honey
1 (7-pound) bag of ice

Combine the hot water and the salt in a 54-quart cooler. Stir until the salt dissolves. Stir in the vegetable broth and the honey. Add the ice and stir. Place the turkey in the brine, breast side up, and cover with cooler lid.. Brine overnight, up to 12 hours.

Then I rub spices under the skin and smoke @250 with Apple, maple, or Hickory no more that 4 hours of smoke. About 5 hours later (depending on how big the bird is) to reach the 165 IT.

I would _not_ make stuffing inside the bird.

Question about the brine-does it need refrigerated during the brining or can it sit at room temperature?  I have a wine fermenter that might work perfectly for the brining process if it has to be kept cool.  Otherwise a cooler is a great idea (never thought of it).

By the way all-thanks for the fast responses.  This seems to be a great forum and there is a LOT of information!

FLBentRider

The brine should be cold. the ice helps that, and I add a frozen gallon water jug.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Buck36

Alton Brown does his this same way with ice added instead of all water to keep everything cold in the cooler overnight.

edit -> link removed

FLBentRider

My method is a variation on Alton Browns.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Buck36

Oppps. I didn't mean anything by the link. When I  read your post I was thinking that I had seen something similar using the cooler on the Food network. I did a quick google search of AB/cooler/brines and didn't look at the recipes but at his process. I was posting the link in order to show support by other chefs using similar methods. Looking back at my post it was a bad move. My apologies FLBentRider.

FLBentRider

No problem! I should have given him / the site credit in the first place.

no harm / no foul.

I was trying to clear confusion, and instead, created it....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pop_rivit

Should water be used in the bowl?

I "seasoned" my new smoker per the instructions putting water in the bowl.  Should water usually be put in the bowl when smoking or should it be left dry?  I see some posts where it sounds like water was used, and others that sound like it wasn't.

Thanks!

westexasmoker

Bowl should never be left dry, its primary roll is to extinquish the pucks after they have finished smoking!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

stillsmoking

Hello pop_rivit, I am fairly new to posting to the forum but have been using this smoker and others for a while now.  Last weekend I posted under Not quite first turkey, I use the same smoker you do.  Maybe a little different from some but the wife, daughter and I sure did enjoy the end result and the dog even got a little taste :).  My bird was about the same size as yours.  Good smoking, have fun!

pop_rivit

Thanks all!  I appreciate the advice.