• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

URGENT HELP Needed!!! Box won't heat...30 people coming in 20 hours!

Started by Cut2SizeMetals, July 11, 2008, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut2SizeMetals

Sorry for the urgent post, but I have 4 Boston butts rubbed and ready to smoke and 30 people coming in 20 hours.  When I went out to the smoker a minute ago, the smoker box is getting power but the cabinet is not.  I have the SS model and my slider to control the cabinet temperature is stuck (i.e., rusted) and the indicator light on the cabinet won't come on.  I am (probably foolishly) hoping that even the light isn't working the box is heating while I write this, but if not here is my thought.  I have great ovens that will go to low temperatures, so I know I can simulate the BBQ part in the oven.  For food safety reasons, I am not very comfortable smoking in the cabinet without the heater (I would essentially be cold smoking the pork).  Should try to smoke for an hour or two and then finish them in the oven even if the cabinet has no heat?  I could make a foil basket, put the bisquettes in, and smoke on the Weber I guess.  What do you all think?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Need some stainless steel to customize your smoker, or metal for other projects? Check out Cut2SizeMetals.com for a complete selection of aluminum, stainless steel, brass, and copper.  You click it, we cut it and ship it to your door!

KyNola

I have a digital Bradley so I may be off base but is there a power cord from the smoke generator that attaches to your tower?  If so, make sure the plug into the tower is pushed in all the way.  sometimes it takes an extra push to make the connection.  One other thought, I understand that the slider control Bradleys may have a dead spot if the slider is pushed all the way to the right.  If you can free the slider, move it back to the left just a bit.

Good luck to you and let us know if we can help.

KyNola

West Coast Kansan

The slider being stuck / rusted is likely the deal.  You can try to move it with gntle taps to break it free.  Check the fuses on the Smoke Generator.

Worse case, I would feel comfortable with Butts going from the fridge to the smoker for a cold smoke.  With just the generator you will be a while before the temperature comes up much with that much meat. You can monitor the meat temp to know when you are up to the danger zone and smoke a little longer. 

I am thinking that you will end up in the house oven and can still nuke your cumulative bugs with an Internal Temp deep in the butt of 190. 

I am not the most cautious person here about bugs but you are smoke solid meat and not mixing surface bugs into the rest of the meat through grinding.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

West Coast Kansan

Double check the power cords. Make sure they are pushed in all the way...

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Carter

When I first got my smoker I had a similar problem.  Turns out it was what Kynola described.  There might even be an old post around here that looks a lot like yours.  Make sure that plug is really pushed into your beer fridge, I mean Bradley Smoker.

If all else fails you can always use your regular BBQ or Oven without smoke.  My first attempts at Pulled Pork were done on my Gas BBQ.  I know it's sacrilidge around here, but to the guests coming to your house, they probably will love it anyways.

Just make sure it's slow cooked.

Carter

Cut2SizeMetals

Thanks all!  I checked the cords MULTIPLE Times, and even replaced the one to the beer fridge with another in case it was a cord problem.  I have already pried a bit on the switch, but it is really stuck and I am afraid I might damage the circuit board.  I also got a mild shock so that wasn't too encouraging either...
I think I will go unplug the unit and pry a bit more, but if that doesn't work I think I will go ahead and put them in straight from the fridge.  The last temp reading was 140 degrees, and last 12-15 hours of cooking are in a 200 degree oven, I can't imagine it is much more dangerous than if the BS was 190 or 200.  Thanks again everyone; I will let  you how it turns out!
Need some stainless steel to customize your smoker, or metal for other projects? Check out Cut2SizeMetals.com for a complete selection of aluminum, stainless steel, brass, and copper.  You click it, we cut it and ship it to your door!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum fpoulenc

and G O O D  L U C K !!

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

kiyotei

I'm not sure what you mean by "last temp reading 140..."  If you want to try a bit of cold smoking to get some smoke flavor before putting it in the oven, then try placing the meat in your freezer for 1-2 hrs before smoking.  This will bring its temp down significantly.  I would check its temp before putting in the Bradley just so you know your starting point.  Then cold smoke an hour or so but watch the temp to make sure it doesn't get too warm.  The rule on meat temps when cooking it is not to exceed 4 hours below 140.  Here is blurb from a food safety doc I saved some time ago: Meat spoilage is caused by bacteria, some of which are harmful to humans. Disease-causing organisms are capable of growing at temperatures of 40-140F (5-60C), the "danger zone", and can spoil meat within a few hours.

Tiny Tim

The smoke will pretty much keep the bad stuff away long enough for you to do the smoking in a cool smoker then transfer to the 200* oven.

Cut2SizeMetals

Thanks again to everyone for all the insight.  The butts came out great.  I did 4 hours of cold smoking, and then about 14 hours in a 225 degree oven, FTC, and pulled.  They tasted great, and as a bonus, I had no dead guests afterward!  The temperature control slider seems to be irreparably damaged, so I will be talking to the Bradley folks about some new parts.  I've got Iceman's sauce and rub coming, so I need to get things fixed pronto!  Thanks again, everyone!

Andy

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Carter

Glad it worked out.  No dead guests is good too.  Having said that it means more pulled pork for you. ;D

westexasmoker

Yep no dead guest is always a good sign, unless its that pesky, oh nevermind  ::)...Get ahold a Bradley customer service they'll get ya fixed back up in no time!  Two thumbs up for thier service department!  Glad to hear you take bad situation and turn it around!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!