• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need some help with Beef ?

Started by tvp, July 15, 2008, 05:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvp

OK done the ribs, they were great ( Thanks Ice ) now need to try something new, BEEF , Want to smoke some beef

What cut ....rib roast....tenderloin,,,,  what size???

What flavor pucks and how long too smoke and cook at what temp. so meny questions,

Dinner for 4 people

Thanks in Advance

Also rub and mop recipe !

TVP :)

westexasmoker

I'm thinking brisket, 10-12 lbs, prefer packer trim that way you can trim and leave a bit more fat cap, but a market trimmed will be fine, rub with S&S willys rub or use the McCormick steak rub, don't worry about leaving it overnight, a couple hours on the counter and your good...into your smoker @ 220 fat side up, hit with 4-6 hours of smoke, I gauge this with how soon I get back up to temp (220) and uh I would use mesquite!!  Pull and into a cheap foil pan still fat side up, covered with foil, into the oven @ 220 maybe a splash of beer but you should get enough juice as it sits...the hard part, let it cook for 18-20 hours, pull and scrape your cap off and save for burnt ends.  Wrap tight in foil and FTC for as long as you need or just leave on top of your stove.  Now the cap either throw back in the smoker or your grill or take the juice from your foil pan along with the cap a bring to a nice simmer, if ya want to throw some Q sauce in great makes for one heck of a sauce!  After your brisket has pulled its juices back in unwrap and remove from your foil, and let sit for just a bit to cool down, slice and platter use your excess juice/sauce for a topper and dig in!  Great sliced and great pulled for sandwichs...better yet throw it back in the fridge and reheat the next day...OMG!  The main thing with briskets its always been hit and miss, that was with my offset, this seems to work everytime!  Good Luck!  Keep us posted! 

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

KyNola

Ya know, I'm in West Ky where nobody and I mean nobody would be caught dead smoking beef but our learned friend WTS is the absolute guru on beef briskets in my opinion.  He has this one flaw of thinking that mesquite is the only wood that is grown. ;)  Seriously, brisket is not big in my area but I would do a brisket under WTS's guidance and know that it would be great.  The problem where I live is that since briskets are not popular, you can't buy one that is worth a hoot.

TVP, if you want to do beef, follow WTS's lead, in my humble opinion.

KyNola

FLBentRider

I'm with KyNola on this one, I defer to the Texans on brisket. Wildcat also had a recipe that sounds good.

OTOH, a Prime rib with a couple of pucks of Pecan and finished in the oven ROCKS too. Review this thread:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6896.0
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Here are a couple of other options:

If you don't like rosemary you can use your favorite herb blend. Sirloin roast should also work with this recipe.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=446

or this:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=698#post698

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tvp

Sound great  but 15 20 hrs whooo thats a long time.......

Must be tender

How bout a rib roast ??

TVP :)

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I was just typing out a reply, and remembered FL had done something wonderful with roast just not to long.....hes got ya hooked up!  :D

C

rcger

Quote from: westexasmoker on July 15, 2008, 06:00:06 PM
I'm thinking brisket, 10-12 lbs, prefer packer trim that way you can trim and leave a bit more fat cap, but a market trimmed will be fine, rub with S&S willys rub or use the McCormick steak rub, don't worry about leaving it overnight, a couple hours on the counter and your good...into your smoker @ 220 fat side up, hit with 4-6 hours of smoke, I gauge this with how soon I get back up to temp (220) and uh I would use mesquite!!  Pull and into a cheap foil pan still fat side up, covered with foil, into the oven @ 220 maybe a splash of beer but you should get enough juice as it sits...the hard part, let it cook for 18-20 hours, pull and scrape your cap off and save for burnt ends.  Wrap tight in foil and FTC for as long as you need or just leave on top of your stove.  Now the cap either throw back in the smoker or your grill or take the juice from your foil pan along with the cap a bring to a nice simmer, if ya want to throw some Q sauce in great makes for one heck of a sauce!  After your brisket has pulled its juices back in unwrap and remove from your foil, and let sit for just a bit to cool down, slice and platter use your excess juice/sauce for a topper and dig in!  Great sliced and great pulled for sandwichs...better yet throw it back in the fridge and reheat the next day...OMG!  The main thing with briskets its always been hit and miss, that was with my offset, this seems to work everytime!  Good Luck!  Keep us posted! 

C

What IT did you cook this to?
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

westexasmoker

I don't shoot for an IT, when its done its done, but I think 190 would be about right.

C

rcger

Quote from: westexasmoker on July 19, 2008, 10:32:16 AM
I don't shoot for an IT, when its done its done, but I think 190 would be about right.

C

I've got about 15# of flats in the smoker now at 220.  I'm giving them 4 hours of smoke (mesquite of course).  I'll put them in covered foil pans after that and into the oven at 220 until about 1:00 or 2:00 tomorrow afternoon.  Then, FTC until the boys and their girlfriends are off work.  I can't wait.

I've got PLENTY of Budweiser in the fridge.  Am I missing anything?
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

FLBentRider

Quote from: rcger on July 19, 2008, 03:46:33 PM
[I've got PLENTY of Budweiser in the fridge.  Am I missing anything?

A side dish - polenta gord great with "Q" - and directions for the rest of us!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

rcger

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 19, 2008, 04:08:09 PM
[I've got PLENTY of Budweiser in the fridge.  Am I missing anything?

A side dish - polenta gord great with "Q" - and directions for the rest of us!

I'm in Missouri.  If you're coming from the South and you get to St Louis, you've gone too far.

rcger

Quote from: westexasmoker on July 19, 2008, 10:32:16 AM

C

I've got about 15# of flats in the smoker now at 220.  I'm giving them 4 hours of smoke (mesquite of course).  I'll put them in covered foil pans after that and into the oven at 220 until about 1:00 or 2:00 tomorrow afternoon.  Then, FTC until the boys and their girlfriends are off work.  I can't wait.

I've got PLENTY of Budweiser in the fridge.  Am I missing anything?

Ok, so I got up at 6:00 this AM and the IT was up to 203O.  I had planned on leaving them in the oven until about 2:00.  I pulled them out around 7:00 and FTC'ed em.  It's the most tender meat I have ever seen.  Any idea what the max time you can leave them in the cooler?  I hadn't planned on eating until around 7:00 or 8:00 this evening.  Maybe I should go on and slice it and refrigerate it.  Any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated.

FLBentRider

The longest I've FTC'd a pork butt was about 8 hours. A brisket has more surface area/lb, so I wouldn't do more than 5 or six. You could continue to monitor the temp in FTC, and when it drops below 140, refrigerate.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!