Smoked boneless turkey breast

Started by KyNola, July 19, 2008, 03:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Bought boneless turkey breasts today.  In the basic salt and brown suger brine as we speak.  Tomorrow, out of the brine and rub with Jan's dry rub recipe.  Into the smoker with either apple or maple smoke for about 2 hours at about 250 degrees and then continue roasting until done.

Any suggesions besides WTS who is automatically going to suggest using the devil's wood? :D

KyNola

FLBentRider

I would use Hickory, Apple or Cherry - perhaps even Oak!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I would use........hickory....well I fell down and hit my head...so otherwise I'd use  ::)

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

I like Maple...it's a sweeter smoke then hickory...unless you are going with a really bold rub/stuffing? , and then hickory is the wood (for me). But we all know...fowl takes up smoke really well...so if you are not going with a bold dish...try Maple...even Pecan. Lovely flavors in those woods.

KyNola

LQ, I'm thinking Maple just beause or maybe combine with apple.  As for you WTS, I could be all over some hickory as I am in Kentucky where hickory is king.  At least your brain damage from falling knocked some sense into your smoking head. ;D :D ;)

Happy Smoking everyone,

KyNola

La Quinta

Go KyNola....Maple is a nice softer, sweet wood, and can still pack a nice punch of smoke. (Especially with a fowl cut). IMHO

Habanero Smoker

My favorite for chicken is apple or maple; occasionally pecan.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

Pecan is kept around here for chicken and turkey.  It just seems right.  :) Love these preference posts.

Mesquite - Use for initial seasoning of smoker  :-X  ;)
Oak - Beef, Good general
Apple -  Bacon Slabs, Sea Food like shrimp, scallops, oysters
Maple - Good general Butts, Canada Bacon for sure
Hickory - Ribs, and change up on the Oak once in a while
Alder - Salmon, Fish

Cherry - Gives me a headache, too bad, told it is sweet taste but i just cant get close to it...

Special Blend I used to make smoke - just to drive the neighbors crazy.

Interesting thing is this list changes around every few months.  :)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

pensrock

LQ, I would use maple more but I'm too sweet already!  ;)

For poultry, not brined I like hickory. Brined I like maple, oak and apple.

KyNola

Thanks everyone.  Went with 2 hours of maple and continue to roast until the IT reachs 160.  I'm at 157 now so I am close to seeing those bad boys.  It smells really really good on my screened in porch right now.

KyNola

KyNola

WOW WOW and WOW!  The combination of the maple smoke and Jan's dry rub turned out incredible.  I have never had turkey this good.  My wife mistakenly thinks I am a freakin' genius right now.

Even with the BDS acting up today, this is one of the best things to come out of my smoker.  LQ, you nailed it with the maple!

KyNola

Norcal Novice

I did a bone-in breast this weekend using Bassman's brine and Jan' rub.  You all might laugh, but I used 2 hours of Special Blend for my smoke, and it was REALLY tasty.  The only thing I might change is the amount of celery salt in the rub...a little overpowering for my taste.

I know most people use Special Blend for smoker seasoning only, but it gives a nice, mild smoke, in my opinion.

Anyone else out there use it?

Carter

Hey Kynola,

You said internal Temp of 160.  Shouldn't it be 180 to 185 for poultry?

Nice work on the Turkey Breast.  I was wondering about them last night as we tried out Smoked Turkey Legs yesterday.  They were awesome, accept they were really finicky with little bones everywhere so my wife was a little grossed out.

I was wondering if bone in would keep it moister than boneless as well.

Carter

KyNola

Carter,
I have never taken poultry to 180-185.  Having brined it prior to smoking, it could probably have come out at 155 and been OK.  Bone-in will make it moister but using the basic salt and brown sugar sugar brine, this is plenty moist.  Everyone has their personal taste but I would personally find 180-185 turkey a little too done.  To each his own though! :)

KyNola

iceman

Quote from: KyNola on July 21, 2008, 10:55:34 AM
Carter,
I have never taken poultry to 180-185.  Having brined it prior to smoking, it could probably have come out at 155 and been OK.  Bone-in will make it moister but using the basic salt and brown sugar sugar brine, this is plenty moist.  Everyone has their personal taste but I would personally find 180-185 turkey a little too done.  To each his own though! :)

KyNola

160 is max for me on boneless.  ;D