• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brisket coming up to temp *too* fast?

Started by DrunkenMick, July 19, 2008, 08:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrunkenMick

Evening gents.  Its about midnight here in Jersey (And still about 90 degrees outside) and there's a 9# flat in the OBS.  I've done three flats so far this summer and all seemed about the same based on my "smoke notes" (Does anyone else's wive's laugh at them for taking notes and pictures of BBQ? :) )

Anyhow, this one seems to be coming up to temp way too fast.  In four hours @ 220 i was reading ~160 in two places.  I pulled after the 4 hours of smoke and moved wrapped in foil with a bit of beef broth and a nice hit of Makers Mark and replaced both probes on seperate ends of the flat.  I'm reading 165 in one end and 164 in the other.  It seems to have hit the plataue right now but even still.  I've never had a brisket hit 160 in 4 hours.

Anyone else have this?  I estimated a slab of meat this size would take 13-16 hours based on past smokes, but this looks like it'll finish up in less then 8-10?

I couldn't be hitting pockets of fat in 4 spots could i??

???

DrunkenMick

Also, i forgot to mention (and this is for you WTS) i hit it with 4 hours of Mesquite

;D

Gizmo

Quote from: DrunkenMick on July 19, 2008, 09:01:14 PM
Also, i forgot to mention (and this is for you WTS) i hit it with 4 hours of Mesquite

(Does anyone else's wive's laugh at them for taking notes and pictures of BBQ?  )

;D

There is the problem, its the Mesquite.   :o ;)

Haven't done a flat in the Bradley.  Only Whole packer briskets in the 12 to 14 pound range.  Previous experience with flats has been on a grill with indirect heat and they go a lot quicker.  I would suspect the 220 will make them go quicker as well.  I stay down around 200 to 210.  With the temp swing that you can see in the Bradley, you could be hitting the meat with 240 deg or so.  That could speed it up as well.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I used to take notes and have to get back to doing that. I got a little discouraged when I lost my excel file after patching Office 2003.

This site has an excellent log format. The excel format can be modified, while the PDF makes it easy to have the chart in hand, and you can enter the information immediately.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cookinglog.html

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DrunkenMick

Wow thanks Habs, that's much nicer then notepad that I've been using!  :P

Its now 5:46am here in Jersey and the maverick just got done beeping.  I couldn't believe it, i hit 188 degrees internal in two places in just under 11 hours.  After pulling it and before FTC'n i double checked with one of my instant read's and sure enough it was showing between 185 and 189 in the few places i probed it. 

I guess its brisket for lunch instead of dinner :)

West Coast Kansan

HabS, that note sheet might be a good thing for the FAQ, pointer, hint, helps, thing your putting together.  I used one for the transition to electric. Helpful. Don't know if it really fits though.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

WCK;

I believe I understand, but today I had one too many Sam Adams.;D So I need some clarification.

Do you mean to add a question such as:
               "What is the reason for keeping cooking log? If so what information should it contain?"

I
         don't
                   inhale.

West Coast Kansan

HabS, perfect translation.   :) My wife tells me I write like I talk, well geez, thats  :-[. 

Another Sam Adams for HabS   :D  :D  :D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Great! I'm not too impaired, so I guess I can pop open another bottle while enjoying dinner.

I
         don't
                   inhale.