DBS Temps

Started by bsheger, July 20, 2008, 09:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsheger

I have read alot of posts about the temperature differences in the DBS.  I understand the concept of how Bradleys heating element works, but WOW.  So I purchased the Maverick dual probe thermometer to monitor this a little bit closer.  My maverick is reading 30 degrees cooler than what the DBS is.  Can the difference be that much?  I expected a temp swing thru out a heating cycle, but to be off 30 actual degrees just blows me away.  I have the cabinet probe in the middle of the DBS and have checked it against my refrigerature thermometer to make sure the maverick is right.  I have the Bradley set at 240 to maintain about 210 degrees on the maverick.  This is 4 hours into a 3 rack rib smoke.  Your thoughts are welcomed.

KyNola

In my experiences, a 30 degree difference is not unusual in my DBS.  It can be 30 degrees high or low.  Frustrating but you will eventually get used to it.  As the load heats up, the difference will get less and less.

KyNola

rcger

I was doing a brisket yesterday.  The tower showed approximately 30O higher than the Maverick.  I've just learned to deal with it.  I did test my Maverick in boiling water today.  It read 210O.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

West Coast Kansan

Greetings Bsheger, Welcome to the forum.

Dont confuse accuracy with the fluctuations - both exist but are different things with different causes. 

The DBS does fluctuate temperatures more than the OBS.  The cause of the fluctuations is the control mechanism used to turn the heater on and off.  The bottom line is two fold... the DBS will overshoot and then turn off and lets the temp fall well below the set point before the heater turns on again. So that is a fluctuation over and under the set point.

The extent of the fluctuation is a function of a whole gob of variables but the key one is the temperature of the meat load inside of the tower which acts like a heat sink inside the tower - i.e. it absorbs heat along with the rest of the mass inside the smoker (fortunately).

The tower temperature is what your maverick is reading. The Bradley temperature probe is located on the back wall of the tower and displays the temperature of the back wall - now we talk about accuracy, cuz the back wall where the Bradley Temp Sensor is located is the hotest point in the tower. The Bradley will read too high (for a while) and them become more accurate as the rest of the mass absorbing heat in the tower comes up to temperature.  As the temperature equalizes you will also see the fluctuations reduce in range as well.

The effect of all of this on your smoking is actually zero over the full length of most smokes.  If your doing sausage you got to pay attention to keep from rendering fat.

While I am happy about none of this after a couple of years with the DBS I would buy another one (cuz I like the lights and the little flame thing on the display - When the plug and play PIDS get more lights I may get an OBS with a flashy PID). It cooks great food but as you start out the temp thing makes you crazy since it is alleged to be digital.

When your up for a longer story - I invented one about why the fluctuations are an advantage and I should have paid even more but that is for another day.

What to do is monitor the tower temp with your maverick probe placed about one inch below and toward the back of the tower on the second from the bottom rack (or near the bottom of you lower racks depending on the load and position).  That temp will keep you out of trouble wondering if the tower is too hot = meat cooking too fast.

My thoughts on the non digital - DBS

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

rcger

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on July 20, 2008, 03:21:19 PM
Greetings Bsheger, Welcome to the forum.

Dont confuse accuracy with the fluctuations - both exist but are different things with different causes. 

The DBS does fluctuate temperatures more than the OBS.  The cause of the fluctuations is the control mechanism used to turn the heater on and off.  The bottom line is two fold... the DBS will overshoot and then turn off and lets the temp fall well below the set point before the heater turns on again. So that is a fluctuation over and under the set point.

The extent of the fluctuation is a function of a whole gob of variables but the key one is the temperature of the meat load inside of the tower which acts like a heat sink inside the tower - i.e. it absorbs heat along with the rest of the mass inside the smoker (fortunately).

The tower temperature is what your maverick is reading. The Bradley temperature probe is located on the back wall of the tower and displays the temperature of the back wall - now we talk about accuracy, cuz the back wall where the Bradley Temp Sensor is located is the hotest point in the tower. The Bradley will read too high (for a while) and them become more accurate as the rest of the mass absorbing heat in the tower comes up to temperature.  As the temperature equalizes you will also see the fluctuations reduce in range as well.

The effect of all of this on your smoking is actually zero over the full length of most smokes.  If your doing sausage you got to pay attention to keep from rendering fat.

While I am happy about none of this after a couple of years with the DBS I would buy another one (cuz I like the lights and the little flame thing on the display - When the plug and play PIDS get more lights I may get an OBS with a flashy PID). It cooks great food but as you start out the temp thing makes you crazy since it is alleged to be digital.

When your up for a longer story - I invented one about why the fluctuations are an advantage and I should have paid even more but that is for another day.

What to do is monitor the tower temp with your maverick probe placed about one inch below and toward the back of the tower on the second from the bottom rack (or near the bottom of you lower racks depending on the load and position).  That temp will keep you out of trouble wondering if the tower is too hot = meat cooking too fast.

My thoughts on the non digital - DBS

Kansan, that leads me to a question.  If you want to position the maverick towards the bottom, how do you run the cable?  Currently, I'm dropping mine through the vent.  Do you run it through all of the racks?  That makes it a bit difficult to rotate the racks if so.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Gizmo

It is easier to allow the cable to go directly into the box through the door opening.  It won't hurt the seal and really doesn't allow much in the way of smoke to escape.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

just as Gizmo says,  If you dont have a clip it is easy to blacksmith something to use to mount under a rack an inch or so... or just angle it through a rack opening... the sensor is in the very tip of the probe.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Habanero Smoker

For the smoker probe, if you want to run it through the top, the cable should not be run through the racks. Just leave enough slack in the cable so when you push the racks in the racks will push the cable back against the cabinet. As for the meat probe, I don't usually use that until the food gets close to being finished.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bsheger

So if I understand correctly, you are placing the Mavericks cabinet temp probe towards the bottom of the cabinet closer to the heating element.  By doing this it should read closer to the same temp as the DBS.

car54

I run my temperature leads through the door opening. It is very quick and easy this way. The gasket does not completely seal around it creating a little
leakage. That does not brother me because you are getting leakage out of the chimney anyways.

I completely agree with West Coast Kansan about temperatures. I use to fret when my 2 probes did not match each other. They were off by 5 degrees but  it does not matter. You really have to try hard to absolutely ruin something in the Bradley.

Brad

Mr Walleye

bsheger

What I try to measure with the Maverick's smoker probe is the temp the meat is being exposed to. To do this you want the probe just below the meat, usually just far enough away that the grease doesn't drip on it and not so close that the meat temp infuences the reading. If you are placing the probe above the meat your temp readings will be influenced from the meat. I also run mine through the door.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tiny Tim

I run the wires through the door seal as well.  Only use the cabinet probe to keep the sender active enough to not time out, unless smoking/cooking 2 pieces of meat, then I use it as a second meat probe.

I use a PID and it stays close enough for my needs.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: bsheger on July 21, 2008, 04:37:10 AM
So if I understand correctly, you are placing the Mavericks cabinet temp probe towards the bottom of the cabinet closer to the heating element.  By doing this it should read closer to the same temp as the DBS.

I always clip my cabinet probe underneath the bottom tray. I found if you place the probe in between rack, the temperature towards the bottom will register too high. Also the location will depend on how many racks I have, and how I distributed the racks.

With the DBS I believe that sensor is located about half way up on the back wall.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

Yep,

and a Sam Adams for Mr. Walleye.  The whole point is to measure the temp your meat is exposed to and try to dodge the location variables that will impact the temperature of the air the probe is measuring.  ;) Not very magical really  :D  :D  :D

Mr Walleye

Sam I am!

:D  :D  :D  ;D

Tastes mighty fine too!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes