Old Faithful sausage recipe wanted

Started by love the smoke, July 22, 2008, 03:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love the smoke

Hello All

I have been a member now for some time and have smoked a few things couple racks of ribs, very good, pulled Pork, could have went a little longer but still very good, Almonds, they were very good,Chicken Breast, Yum, ABT's very good, Brisket everybody said that was very good, ( hey I see a pattern here...very good) just got done with a couple of fatties, also very good

I think my best so far has been Habs canadian Bacon with a little of the Icemans soppin sauce on it , Habs that stuff is absolutly awesome thanks for the recipe, Iceman sauce rocks

Anyway I am getting ready for the next step........ sausage

I got a store bought smoked kilbasa and just threw it on the grill last night for dinner today, as I was eating it today, I took a bite without Icemans sauce(I know I am sorry and it wont happen again) and looked at the end of the sausage and I thought to myself what is that in there because it sure dont look like meat to me, some kind of pork flavored soybean substance ? I would like to know what is in my sausage

So on to my question is there a old faithful recipe for sausage, I looked at the recipe site and found the one for kilbasa from Stickbowcrafter and I will use that one but just wondering if someone has a nother never fail recipe that you always go back to because it always works

Thanks
LTS

LTS

Mr Walleye

LTS

Stick uses the same recipe as I do except I add a little more cayanne. I also use pork/beef at 50/50. I'm at work right now but I will post my recipe tonite. Everyone loves it and I can't keep it around.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

SMOKED POLISH KIELBASA SAUSAGE
(from "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" Rytek Kutas page 201) (If you don't have this book you may want to get it)

INGREDIENTS FOR 10 LBS.
2 cups ice water
2 cups soy protein concentrate or non-fat dry milk
5 Tb. salt
1 Tb. sugar
2 tsp. Insta-cure No. 1
1 Tb. black pepper coarse
2 large cloves fresh garlic
1 heaping tsp. marjoram
2 tsp. cayenne (I added this to the recipe)
10 lbs. boneless pork butts (I use 50% pork & 50% beef)

GRINDING & TRIMMING
Trim off excess fat, remove all blood clots, bone, sinews, cords, etc. and throw out. Grind all the lean meat through a 3/8" grinder plate and all the fat meat through 3/16" plate. Place in mixing tub, adding all the ingredients and mixing until evenly distributed.

STUFFING
Polish sausage should be stuffed into a larger-size hog casing, preferably 38-42 mm. Sausage then is placed on smokehouse sticks and spaced properly. Dry the sausage as follows: When stuffing the sausage, it normally is hung on the sausage sticks in the room where you are working. By the time you are finished stuffing the sausage, much of it already is dry. You may put it in a preheated smokehouse at 130 °F with dampers wide open for about 1 hour or until casings are dry and starting to take on a brown color. Or, you may place sausage in a cooler and leave until the casings are dry.

SMOKING
Sausage is placed in a preheated smokehouse at 130° F with dampers wide open. Keep this temperature until the casings are dry. Apply smoke and gradually increase the temperature about 10° F per hour in the smokehouse until you reach 165-170° F, with dampers 1/4 open. Keep in smokehouse until the internal temperature reaches 152° F. If you are using a steam cabinet, remove the sausage from the smokehouse when it has reached an internal temperature of 135° F and cook in the steam cabinet to reach 152° F internally. Remove from smokehouse and shower with cold tap water until the internal temperature is reduced to 110° F Allow the sausage to hang at room temperature for about 30 minutes or until the desired bloom is obtained. Place in cooler at 38-40° F overnight.

MY PROCEDURE
I usually stuff in the evening and refrigerate over night to allow the cure time to work. I like to use 38/42 hog casings, although the photos below are collagen casings. I have also found I prefer the blend of 50% beef and 50% pork. Then I put it in the smoker at 130 degrees with no smoke for about an hour or until the casings have become tacky. Next I crank the heat up to 165 to 170 degrees and apply 3 hours of smoke. I usually use hickory. Once they hit an internal temp of 152 degrees I give them an ice bath to drop the temps down. Next I will leave them sitting on the counter, usually on an upside down Bradley rack to allow them to dry for about a half hour or so. Finally, I vacuum pack everything put in the freezer.

I have found a quick way to thaw some for snacks is to throw the frozen vacuum pack into a sink of cool water and it will thaw in 20 to 25 minutes.

Here is a couple of pictures.....

Mike

FLBentRider

Great recipe / write-up Mike!

Sausage is on my "To-Do" list, but I was going to start with a simple breakfast (non-stuffed) sausage...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

OMG I've so got to try sausage!!

Mike ya did use mesquite......right!!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: westexasmoker on July 22, 2008, 05:40:39 PM
OMG I've so got to try sausage!!

Mike ya did use mesquite......right!!  ;D

C

Comon.... I'm from Canada!

:D  :D  ;D

I usually use hickory but I am going to try mesquite on a batch.

Mike

Mr Walleye

This really is a great snack sausage with cheeze and few "pops". I usually slice it on about a 30 degree angle and about 1/4 inch thick.

Mmmm... Ya just can't get enough of it.  ;)

Mike

love the smoke

Thanks Mr Eye

Will have to save that one in the comp and try it soon as I get all my supplies in

LTS
LTS

Stargazer

Mr Walleye, I use that same recipe for Keilbasa and its great. That book is a Bible for sausage makers!

That batch you got hanging and smoked up looks superb. Excellent job on the stuffing. Everything looks nice and even for good plump keilbasa :)
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

car54

Mr Walleye,

Years ago I used to make sausage and I am wanting to do it again. I have afew questions for you.

1. Why did you grind the fat separately?
2. Do you use all the fat?
3. Why did you go to a 50/50 mixture of beef and pork?
4. What cut of beef do you use?

Thank, Brad

pensrock

I use the same recipe myself, but over the years made a couple slight changes. Everyone who has eaten it loves it. I tried it once with 50% venison and 50% pork butt, it was good but kielbassa is a moist sausage and too much venison made it drier so I cut it back to 20% venison and it works great. I will use up to 25% beef and 75% pork but am partial to the 100% pork kielbassa.

Buck36

Thank you Pensrock! When I was reading this I was assuming I could substitute venison for the beef. I figured I would just have to play with the percentages.

I love this post because kielbasa is big at the hunting cabin! It is all family and being Polish it could be a tough crowd.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: car54 on July 23, 2008, 12:55:25 PM
Mr Walleye,

Years ago I used to make sausage and I am wanting to do it again. I have afew questions for you.

1. Why did you grind the fat separately?
2. Do you use all the fat?
3. Why did you go to a 50/50 mixture of beef and pork?
4. What cut of beef do you use?

Thank, Brad

Brad
1) I don't separate them, I grind it together. I posted the recipe as it is in the book.
2) I use butts for my pork and I don't trim them.
3) I have found for my taste I like the 50/50 mix. I have made it 100 % pork as Pensrock states and although very good, it's a little too "hammy" (not sure that's a word) tasting for me. It's really just personal preference.
4) Chuck

At times I even take the short cut of buying lean ground beef and pork trimmings from my butcher (I've got a good one I can trust) and it's turned out just as good. I think the key to doing it this way is to have a butcher you can trust though.

Mike

pensrock

For all my sausages I fine grind the real fatty stuff and coarse or medium grind the leaner meats depending on the kind of sausage. I just do not care to bite into a big piece of fat when eating it, although that is how my father prefers it and I'm sure there are many like him out there.

love the smoke

Ok

Got all the supplies in and am going to try the sausage this weekend ..... just a few more questions

Approxamatly how many feet or inches of the 38-42 hog casing will I need to get prepped for 10 pounds  (hate to make WAY to much) ?

And about how long before it reaches desired internal temp of 152 after the initial drying period at 130 degrees and you crank it up ?

1 more.... says test the internal temp ....just stick the thermomater through the casing making a hole letting all the precious juice out ?

Thanks alot wish me luck

LTS
LTS