• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Chicken-Turkey Skin

Started by SmokinLarry, December 11, 2004, 08:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinLarry

Does anyone know how to keep the skin nice and tender??
I inject the birds with Lemon and Garlic. Rub the outside with EVO, sprinkle Grill Creation rub, and salt and pepper. They turn out great except for the skin.

Cornish Hens work well the same way.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

TRY this and leave your vent wide open, place on a rack over a rimmed baking sheet and allow to air-dry 8-12 hours in the refrigerator. This helps create crispy skin during cooking.

SmokinLarry

I did allow the cornish hens to air dry over night in the refrig. and i didn't the chicken and both skins turned out the same.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

was your vent wide open to let out moisture?

SmokinLarry

Yes it was, i smoke that way most always.

Habanero Smoker

You are never going to get a crisp skin, as when you roast it at a high temperature. Here are a few things I do, that makes the skin a little bit more crispier.

Poultry skin is 50% water, and during processing they are submerged in water, and the skin absorbs more water. Try buying poultry that is dry processed, such as kosher poultry. The only other thing I can suggest is air drying the bird in the refrigerator for longer periods of time. Possibly 1 or two days to evaporate more moisture from the skin. And of course as already noted; apply oil to the skin, and keep the vent open enough to allow moisture to escape.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Does anyone know how to keep the skin nice and tender??<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Did I miss something? I take from SmokinLarry words he is looking to keep the skin nice and tender. Crisp skin is not tender.

What I suggest if you are looking for a moist and tender skin is to smoke it inside a T-shirt. Turn it unside down 1/2 way through the smokin'. The last 15-20 remove the T-Shirt so some more color will be added to it.
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!