The smoked salmon you find in the stores

Started by SturgeonLake, September 02, 2008, 11:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SturgeonLake

Here we get smoked salmon as very thinly sliced, probably at a 5 or 10 degree angle through the fillet, making them very large. It has the texture of slightly firmer pate. I hope I'm describing salmon you'e all had. I'd like to make some.

Does the type of salmon matter? I don't have a huge selection being in Ontario, but there is a sea frozen-to-shelf seafood supplier nearby that should have a couple of choices.

How do I make cuts like they do? I'm sure they've got some professional wire-like device, but can I do it with a fillet or sushi knife? I assume you'd cut after its done. I can fillet fish just fine, but I'm not so sure I could hold a 5 or 10 degree cut across a fillet so well. Any tips? If I can't make such cuts, how would you recommend it be cut?

I am building my cold smoker now, and have received my cures from Bradely (maple, honey, and demera.) I was thinking of using demera. Any reason not to? I tried the Bradley video recipe and it turned out way too salty. I didn't clean the dry cure off before putting it into the smoker, and now think I should've. I also couldn't keep the temperature down due to a lack of a cold smoker. I also did a Pork Loin and it turned out terrible...too much gunk in the dry rub and no temperature control. It turned out way overdone, with a flavor I wouldn't want to repeat.

I've since bought a PID (already assembled) and hope to pick up a Maverick ET73 today.

Will other species of fish produce similar results? Any suggestions to try? We have pickerel/walleye here, I'd like to try that as I can catch as many of those as I'd like. Just not sure how the texture will turn out. Also, they're fairly small (1.5-3lbs average.) I tried once with a "Big Chief" smoker and they turned out like jerky. I can buy larger pond-bred fillets. I was also thinking of Largemouth Bass, I do like stronger flavored fish.

I won't have enough Salmon/Pickerel to fill the unit at any one time, what else could I do in it at the same time? Pork Tenderloin? The fish would be done before the meat, obviously, but I was thinking of optimizing the use of the cold smoke.

Sorry for combining so many questions in one post.

Cheers,
Russ

Habanero Smoker

I believe what you are referring to lox, gravlox style of prepared salmon. If it where me I would not use the commercial cures that have nitrite or nitrates, I would cure it just with salt. Nitrites will change the flavor of the fish and give it more of a ham like flavor.

Here is a great lox recipe; some will point out that loxs are not smoked, but the curing process is the same. The Best Smoked LOX Style Salmon.

A fillet knife may work, but it you have a 12" or 10" slicer that would work better, but it is still difficult.

The salmon experts can steer you to the best type of salmon, but in a pinch any salmon will work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)